Customers With Disabilities

More Movies Available on Demand on DVD-Release Day

by Employee on ‎05-25-2010 03:21 PM

1125i376025556D32FA36Getting to the movies these days can be tough for many consumers, between work, getting the kids to school and activities, and all of the other day-to-day chores that come up.  When there is some downtime, however, FiOS TV Video on Demand is a great alternative for catching the movies you missed at the theater.  Not only that, with FiOS TV VOD, you have a growing number of movies available on the same day that the films’ DVDs are released.

Since this time last year, we’ve more than doubled the number of day-and-date releases on demand, and the plan is to grow that even more.  Today, for example, lovers of romance films and fans of author Nicholas Sparks can check out his latest book-to-film with “Dear John.”  Within the next month, there are about a dozen more day-and-date releases coming to FiOS TV VOD, including “Shutter Island” on June 8, “The Book of Eli” on June 15 and “Remember Me” on June 22.

FiOS customers may have noticed another VOD enhancement: more on-demand movies are available as two-day rentals, rather than the traditional 24-hour availability.  In fact, we’ve tripled the number of two-day rentals in the past year, and customers can now choose from hundreds of current films to watch over two days including “The Blind Side,” “Edge of Darkness” and “The Princess and the Frog.”

And that’s not all.  Films from many of the major studios are now available on FiOS TV on demand up to 28 days before they become available from online and kiosk rental outfits like Netflix and Redbox.  That means as a FiOS subscriber, you get to check out movies like “Valentine’s Day,” “Invictus” and “The Tooth Fairy” first.

There’s something for every member of the family among our 1,000 monthly movie choices, not to mention our overall collection of more than 18,000 VOD titles, including 3,300 in HD.  Remember too that 70 percent of our on-demand titles are free.  And with FiOS TV’s growing number of two-day rentals and day-and-date releases, going to the movies – at home – has never been better.

Comments
by on ‎05-25-2010 03:28 PM

Yawn... I don't care about WHEN they are released if its within a 6 month timeframe.  I care about price.  There is a reason Blockbuster is going out of business.  Redbox and DVD Play offer movies for $1.  Until Verizon starts offering movies for a reasonable price (ie much closer to Redbox's price point of $1), they will not get my VOD business...

by on ‎05-25-2010 05:07 PM

I'm using Amazon VOD via my BD player more since titles are always a dollar cheaper. 

by sister2 on ‎05-25-2010 05:25 PM

I don't use VOD.  There usually aren't any free VOD movies of interest and because the monthly service we already pay for is expensive enough, I'm not paying extra for movies I can get on DVD.

I am more interested in knowing when/if  Turner Classic Movies HD is going to be available :smileyhappy:

by fkeefe on ‎08-25-2011 06:56 PM

And when did FIOS remove "The Blind Side" from VOD, and only have it available if you subscribe to HBO? Ridiculous.

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bill Kula

Director -- Media Relations

Photo of Bill Kula

Bill oversees the Verizon telecom customer experience, consumer bundles, DSL, e-commerce and small business. He helps customers learn about efficient ways to manage their Verizon services.

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools