• Services  

Order Services

See All Plans & Bundles

Special Deals

Moving Made Easy

Current Customers

Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Find out which Verizon services are available at your address.

• My Verizon  

Email & Calls

Check Email

Verizon Visual 411

Bill & Payment

View Bill

Pay Bill

Pay Final Bill

Manage Auto Pay

Manage Paper Free Billing

My Services

Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

NHL Center Ice Free Preview for Three Weeks

by Employee ‎10-01-2009 09:19 AM - edited ‎10-02-2009 09:50 AM

hockey.JPGOn Monday we told you about the NFL RedZone "freeview" coming this Sunday.

But if for you fall means more hockey than football, check out NHL Center Ice.

Starting today, Verizon FiOS TV customers can try Center Ice free for three weeks. Customers can watch all of the games that the NHL Center Ice package airs through Oct. 24.  My hockey-crazed friend Bunny is gonna just love this.  NHL Center Ice is on FiOS TV channels 1474-1488.

The package includes up to 40 out-of-market National Hockey League games every week plus select games from the first two rounds of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.  If NHL Center Ice is broadcasting a game in high definition, FiOS TV will carry it in HD.

Want to feel like you’re rinkside – as only FiOS TV can do – for the rest of the season? Tune to a Center Ice channel, click the remote and confirm.  You can also subscribe by calling Verizon at 888-553-1555. The entire season subscription is $169.

Enjoy the preview.

Comments
by GIB on ‎10-02-2009 06:39 AM

I've tried several times just now to view the NHL Center Ice "free Preview" but a message comes up on screen telling me that, "You are not subscribed" and will not let me see anything but the MLB logo... Is this a tech issue?  Do I need to call Verizon and request the free preview?

by GIB on ‎10-02-2009 07:21 AM

It's working now but Verizon forgot to mention that if you have not paid for NHL Center Ice package the free preview has a big "You are not subscribed to this channel" blue box blocking the middle of the screen...

by defense11 on ‎10-07-2009 07:52 PM

Hi Eric - thanks for the invitation to view NHL Center Ice but since I live in Central New Jersey NHL Center Ice is not an option. Notice I didn't say "Not Available" because I know the NHL Center Ice program feed is available. I was watching the NHL Center Ice since last Friday when someone switched it on for me. However, when I tuned in tonight, the channel are no longer listed.  NHL Center Ice is available to Verizon Fios but they are unwilling to provide the programming.

Verizon Fios has breached the service contract with me because the NHL Center Ice package can not be purchased even though the programming is availble.  I have tons of literature when I signed up saying I could get NHL Center Ice and I told everyone that it was the most important channel for me when I switched to Comcast.

by defense11 on ‎10-07-2009 07:57 PM

sorry for the mis-spelling but can't write my complaints fast enough

really burns me up that the NHL Center Ice package was shown all summer long on the channels for MLB and Verizon Fios only removed the channels when the baseball the season ended

by Employee on ‎10-09-2009 03:05 PM

defense11

Thank you for letting me know about this.  I'm looking into it now and will get back to you when I know more.

Eric

by Anastasio on ‎10-14-2009 09:06 PM

Hey Eric,

Perhaps you could stop blocking out every single game on Center Ice for your paying customers. I was just told that I do indeed have the Center Ice package in my programming but that every single game on the NHL schedule is blacked out in MD and the Capitals aren't even playing. Funny how no other provider is having this issue tonight.

Please fix this or I am forced to move to another provider.

by defense11 on ‎10-15-2009 08:04 PM

Hello again Eric - I understand that you have many things on your plate but was wondering if you or your staff have any more information as to why the channels designated for NHL Center Ice were purposefully eliminated from the channel listing in Mercer County, New Jersey once the baseball season ended (obviously the channels were available and designated in the summer for MLB package)?

Its very frustrating because no one in the family wants to leave Verizon Fios but I feel obligated to leave solely out of frustration because no one can give me a knowledgeable honest answer as to why the channels were eliminated and consequently made it impossible to order this sports programming.

It will be interesting to see I can get an answer sooner from your office or from the Board of Public Utilities, Office of Cable Television.

by Employee on ‎10-16-2009 04:39 PM

defense11,

Unfortunately, there are some technical issues that are preventing us from offering NHL Center Ice in your area.  This is something that we hope to change in the future, but we won’t be able to offer the package in your area this year.  We understand your frustration and hope you continue to enjoy hockey programming on NHL Network and your local broadcast channels.  We know it doesn’t replace NHL Center Ice, but we hope you’ll stick with us in the meantime.

Eric

by Employee on ‎10-16-2009 04:47 PM

Anastasio:

There are blackout restrictions in every market, and they apply to all providers.  The NHL requires these blackout rules to protect telecasts of each NHL game in the local markets of the teams.  We don't back out any other games except as required.  It sounds like you could be having a technical issue, and I'd be happy to put you in touch with our technical team. We have e-mailed you to get your contact information and will follow up with you if you just write us back.

Eric

by terplinda on ‎10-17-2009 11:17 PM

Will more HD channels be added to Center ICE?  We switched from Directv - on Directv, mutiple games were in HD on the Center ICE package.  On FIOS, there is only one HD channel in the Center ICE package.  Hockey just is not the same when it is not in HD!

-Linda

by Employee on ‎10-20-2009 01:38 PM

terplinda,

You're right that we offer 1 HD channel for NHL Center Ice this season but, if you have our FiOS TV Extreme HD package, you can watch more hockey in HD on NHL Network HD and Versus HD.

Eric

by Redwings4Ever on ‎10-28-2010 06:48 PM

I have NHL center ice and have for years... first on Direct TV now on FIOS.

Have 2 requests that would make it 100x's better...

1)  Have a station that lists all the games (with the announcing team) on a screen that actually lists the Fios channel it will be on rather than Game 1, 2, 3 ect (which doesn't help at all).  In this should be listed if the game is on Versus or a local channel, or the NHL network.... it's a mess trying to find a game, and it shouldn't be this difficult.  In addition some games are on two channels and it would be nice to list which is with each teams announcer (this would be a huge help when using the DVR, as if I have the choice it makes a HUGE difference to hear the game with my announcers.

2)  Allow a search option by typing in a team name and record by team (this drives me nuts!!)  If I set up record a series, it simply records all NHL games, and while I'll watch other games, I don't want to waste my HD on games I don't care about.  Would like to be able to record all Detroit Redwings game with a couple clicks with options to record an extra hour (inevitibly it ends before the game is over otherwise).  THIS WOULD BE HUGE!!!

customer interface tools would take this from ok to great.

Thanks!

John

by Employee on ‎10-29-2010 12:15 PM

John,

Thanks for the suggestions.  We appreciate them and now have a way for you to submit ideas for FiOS product and service enhancements directly to our product developers and managers.  Please go to this link for the Idea Exchange if you'd like to participate:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/idb-p/ideas

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411