Customers With Disabilities

Smaller ONTs Improve FiOS Installation in Apartment Buildings

by Employee on ‎07-28-2009 05:24 PM - last edited on ‎08-20-2010 10:45 AM by Employee Emeritus

Verizon didn’t invent fiber-to-the-home services, but there’s no denying the fact that we are pushing the envelope on this key technology.

We’re now using two new smaller ONTs or optical network terminals that don’t take up much space and make it easier to install our FiOS services in places where space is limited – like apartments.

The ONT is the electronic device that connects Verizon’s all-fiber-optic network to the wiring inside a customer’s home.  It converts light pulses into electromagnetic signals that are fed to the broadband home router and TV set-top boxes that deliver superfast Internet speeds and crystal clear TV pictures.

These small ONTs are about the size of a basic home router and take up very little space, which is especially critical in apartments, where every square inch matters.

“Space is a precious commodity in apartment buildings, and these new, smaller ONTs were specifically designed with that in mind,” said Eric Cevis, vice president of Verizon Enhanced Communities, the Verizon business unit that markets and sells communications, broadband and entertainment services to single-family communities, multi-dwelling unit (MDU) communities, and small and medium commercial sites. “We’ve downsized the equipment and minimized the hassles for property owners, making FiOS an even more attractive service offering for residents of multidwelling units.”

Alcatel-Lucent and Motorola developed the equipment, based on Verizon specifications.  The two versions of the smaller ONTs are being deployed in parts of New York, Southern California and the Tampa Bay market in Florida.

While residents will like their size, building owners will appreciate the simplicity these new ONTs bring to the installation when Verizon upgrades their properties with the latest cutting edge technology. 

Purposeful and productive innovation continues to drive our FiOS products.

1386i7FEF0303C9D387D6 Alcatel-Lucent I-21 1M-K indoor ONT – This ONT measures 1 ¼ inches high, 8.5 inches wide and 5.5 inches deep.
1387iF55E3B169C21DD86 Motorola ONT 1000 GTI indoor ONT – This ONT is slightly larger because it includes a fiber storage compartment. It measures 2 ½ inches high, 9 inches wide and 8 ¼ inches deep.

Comments
by antiphrasis on ‎09-29-2009 11:21 PM

I am a Verizon landline customer considering FiOS. The place originally designated for the ONT in my apartment closet ruled it out. These ONTs appear to make installation much less disruptive, but I'm still not sure whether they are available in my area (Plainsboro, NJ) and where installers would run cables. So far I have not reached any Verizon office that can advise me on these specifics. If there Verizon staff or customers who can give me more specifics about whether these are available in my area, and typical layouts of apartment installation, I'd be grateful.

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bill Kula

Director -- Media Relations

Photo of Bill Kula

Bill oversees the Verizon telecom customer experience, consumer bundles, DSL, e-commerce and small business. He helps customers learn about efficient ways to manage their Verizon services.

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools