Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Taking TV From Triple Play to Triple Screen

by on ‎08-19-2010 10:34 AM

1382iD19E3BBD834FCA2DYou may have already read some of the stories out in the last 24 hours about all the cool new stuff coming to FiOS.  As always, we wanted to provide you with the details here.

Verizon CIO Shaygan Kheradpir hosted an event yesterday in New York City for a small group of reporters and offered a sneak peek of new features coming soon for FiOS customers as well as some of our longer-term plans for FiOS TV.

The biggest news is that we’re taking the TV experience beyond the living room with the introduction of Flex View, a new feature coming this year that gives customers the ability to rent, purchase and watch programming on FiOS TV, the PC and select mobile devices – any time, anywhere, and on any device.  Flex View will initially support RIM's BlackBerry Storm 2, the Droid 2 and Droid X and all Windows Mobile 6.5 devices, with more devices following soon. Videos can be streamed over Wi-Fi, 3G and 4G.  When we launch Flex View this fall, we will have 3,000 movie titles available, many in both SD and HD, with rental and purchase prices ranging from $2 to $18.  TV programming will follow soon after.

You may be thinking, how am I going to store all this new content?  Customers will be able to store their content on Verizon’s Media Manager cloud, which will have 70 GB of allocated storage at launch and will likely increase as media requirements for customers grow. This extends to personal content as well, including all of the photos, music and videos that you upload to the FiOS Media Manager.  Any content stored on the cloud can be viewed or listened to anywhere with an Internet connection.

We also had some exciting news for customers who have been asking for more storage on the FiOS DVR, and blogger Dave Zatz has some details here.

The next big development is a “software set-top box” in the home for access to your FiOS TV on tablets and potentially other devices.  While this feature won’t be available right away, a lot of the reporters at yesterday’s event thought it was pretty cool and wrote about it extensively.  It’s clear we’re changing the dynamic for the TV experience with Flex View, and we’ll do it again when we introduce a software STB.

We’ll be telling you more about Flex View soon.  We’re excited to roll this out and see what all of our customers think.  . Once again, Verizon is taking TV to the next level.  As Shaygan said yesterday, “This is not your grandfather’s cable TV.”

Comments
by on ‎08-19-2010 11:12 AM

How about a Youtube video showing off all the features of the new UI and Flex View?  Also, will the Droid 1 be supported?

by on ‎08-19-2010 11:22 AM

Heather

Thanks for the release of some information on the New software being discussed on the Web. Along with the new software for the STBs. Engadget has been posting screen shots and right ups regarding new software and hardware all week. Let's hear it here first.

Regards, Mark

by on ‎08-19-2010 12:21 PM

One question. Will these changes increase the ability for more HD content that people have been asiking for?

by on ‎08-19-2010 03:02 PM

Perhaps you should have announced this at the same time. Google recieved it Three hours ago from PR NEWS WIRE.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/verizons-fios-tv-online-gets-more-new-content-from-time-warn...

by on ‎08-19-2010 04:26 PM

BigPete82,

Thank you for the comments and feedback.  We are looking to add the Droid1 to the list of compatible devices, and we are already planning a video to show you some of Flex View's features.  We'll see if a UI video is possible too. 

prisaz,

Your feedback about posting information first at the Verizon at Home blog is much appreciated.  In the past, we have tried very hard to post information at the blog first.  The Flex View announcement was a bit different because we wanted to actually show it some reporters, and the news broke with those in attendance.

We did follow up this morning here at the blog, which meant holding the Time Warner/FiOS TV Online post a few hours so that we didn't throw too much at our readers at one time.  We went ahead with the news release on PRNewswire this morning so that reporters would get the news fairly early in the news day Eastern Time.

Your reaction to our timing is helpful, and it will definitely play a role in the timing of future blog posts.

As to adding specific HD content, we've heard our customers and we are already working on it. 

Heather

by on ‎08-19-2010 04:55 PM

Thanks Heather. Your Great!

It just gets annoying when I read something somewhere and say to myself, why didn't Verizon tell us that. All good. I know there are big things coming, and the higher ups, make the calls. Ha ha. No Emoticons here. Well I brought my own if it works.:smileyvery-happy:

by HDGuy on ‎08-20-2010 03:19 AM

Great stuff coming down the line, especially the cloud based storage and the updated guide. I'm curious about the upcoming 1.9 update and the limit of 1TB of eSATA storage. Why exactly is that? 2TB eSATA drives are close to $100 now, and with HD video the more storage the better. Please don't limit to 1TB only if possible.

by Netteyboo on ‎08-23-2010 03:46 PM

I wish Verizon could come up with a way we can watch our dvr recording on-line.

by ptr75 on ‎08-26-2010 05:13 PM

How about a lot more action from Verizon with less talk and no empty promises?  Better yet, why not fulfill old promises before making new ones?

The spiffy new technology could be interesting, but frankly I'm skeptical about seeing any of it actually implemented and working.  Why, you ask?  Many of us have been waiting two years for Verizon to figure out how to enable a simple eSata connection for external hard drives on HD-DVRs.  How could they possibly handle something genuinely complex?

I refuse to switch over to FIOS until the HD-DVR external drive fiasco is resolved with a solution that's actually deployed and readily available.  And I'm certainly not going to switch based on the latest round of vaporware announcements from Verizon.  I'm hardly a fan of Comcast, but at least I've been able to use an external hard drive with my Comcast-supplied HD-DVR for nearly three years.

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411