• Services  

Order Services

See All Plans & Bundles

Special Deals

Moving Made Easy

Current Customers

Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Find out which Verizon services are available at your address.

• My Verizon  

Email & Calls

Check Email

Verizon Visual 411

Bill & Payment

View Bill

Pay Bill

Pay Final Bill

Manage Auto Pay

Manage Paper Free Billing

My Services

Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Tax Time is a Good Time to be Vigilant Online

by Employee on ‎03-22-2012 03:50 PM

michael kaiser 1.jpgMichael Kaiser, executive director of the National Cyber Security Alliance, shares some tips about online privacy as part of the international observance of Data Privacy Day on Saturday, Jan. 28.  Michael joined NCSA in 2008 and prior to that spent 25 years in the field of victim's services at the National Center for Victims of Crime and other organizations.

There are three things that are certain in life: death, taxes and tax scams.

As the calendar approaches April 15 each year, the number of IRS-related scams seems to grow.

Tax season is a good time to be aware of potential phishing scams and other attempts to steal personal or financial information.

Phishing attacks use email or malicious Web sites to collect personal and financial information. Attackers may send urgent emails that request account information, seemingly from a reputable credit cardtax time 2.jpg company or financial institution or government agency. When users respond with the requested information, attackers can use it to gain access to the accounts.

It’s important to note that the IRS does not use email or social media to request personal or financial information.

If you get an unsolicited email that appears to be from the IRS, you can forward the email to phishing@irs.gov.

The IRS website has more information about phishing scams.

Here are some other ways to avoid getting scammed this tax season:

• Keep a Clean Machine -- Having the latest security software, web browser, and operating system are the best defenses against viruses, malware, and other online threats.
    • When in doubt, throw it out -- Links in email, tweets, posts, and online advertising are often the way cybercriminals compromise your computer. If it looks suspicious, even if you know the source, it’s best to delete or if appropriate, mark as junk email.
    • tax time 3.jpgOwn your Online Presence -- When available, set the privacy and security settings on websites to your comfort level for information sharing. It’s ok to limit who you share information with.
    • Think Before you Act -- Be wary of communications that implores you to act immediately, offers something that sounds too good to be true, or asks for personal information.
    • Help the Authorities Fight Cyber Crime -- Report stolen finances or identities and other cybercrime to the Internet Crime Complaint Center (www.ic3.gov) and to your local law enforcement or state attorney general as appropriate.

You can get more tips and advice in the STOP. THINK. CONNECT. section of our website. (http://www.staysafeonline.org/tools-resources/stop-think-connect)

Comments
by Cyruis on ‎03-26-2012 07:48 AM - last edited on ‎03-26-2012 08:43 AM by Moderator

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

by on ‎03-26-2012 09:32 PM

Good blog!

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411