Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements

Testing a New Service that Puts Your Home in Your Pocket

by on ‎06-13-2011 09:21 AM - last edited on ‎06-14-2011 12:07 PM by Employee

ann.JPGEditor’s Note: Guest blogger Ann Shaub is a director of product management at Verizon. A busy working mother, she helps lead the Verizon team working to bring Verizon’s new Home Monitoring and Control service to residential customers in 12 states and theDistrict of Columbia.

By: Ann Shaub

In the coming weeks, you’ll be hearing from some of the 50 Verizon employees testing our new Home Monitoring & Control service in their New Jersey homes. Apartments, single- and multiple-family homes, different home Internet speeds – we chose a wide variety of user scenarios to confirm real-world results.

When it launches later this summer, the innovative service will allow customers to remotely access, control and monitor doors, windows, thermostats and appliances via a smart phone and PC, and, if you are a FiOS TV subscriber, you can interact with your home through a FiOS TV widget. Thanks to a connected energy reader, customers who subscribe to the service will also be able to view their energy usage in near-real-time and study energy consumption over periods of time.

We unveiled this service earlier this year at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show, where the new service was a finalist for CNET Magazine’s Best of CES Award. Since then, we’ve been thrilled by the number of calls, emails and requests for more information that we’ve received about this convenient service. Rest assured that we’ll bring you launch details as soon as we can right here on the At Home blog.

In the meantime, I’m eager to read about the experiences of some of my colleagues trialing the service. For several weeks now, my family and I have been enjoying the service in my home to keep an eye on the kids and manage lights and appliances when we’re away.  We’ve also become more energy aware because we’re able to see our home’s carbon footprint, and it’s explained in easy to understand terms like making the kilowatt hours we use equivalent to gallons of fuel or trees grown.

I look forward to this summer when from my smart phone I can remotely adjust the thermostat so that the house is nice and cool as we return from vacation – just another great energy saving aspect of the service.  Managing my home anywhere, anytime is such a great convenience!

Whether you call it a smart, connected or automated home, the kinds of conveniences we’ll begin offering soon are really just the beginning of what’s to come. In the Internet era of high-speed, reliable and consistent broadband services, you can seamlessly connect more and more devices allowing our customers to become connected users who can have virtual access to their homes or giving them access to actionable information regarding their energy usage.

We’re fortunate to have forged partnerships with quality equipment makers Aeon Labs, Ingersoll Rand, SerComm, and ActionTec as well as installation and service providers like 4Home/Motorola Mobility, InstallerNet and PlumChoice to deliver the most convenient experience for our customers.

And in the spirit of collaboration, some of my colleagues and I have been traveling the country talking about this new service as a way of exploring other possible services, potential partnerships, and the role that home monitoring & control can play helping us become more educated energy consumers. In fact, today, some of my colleagues are participating in a discussion on the national energy policy at a White House Grid Modernization event. Tune into   http://wh.gov/live at 10am EDT to view the Building the 21st Century Grid discussion.

I hope you’ll be checking-in to the At Home blog in the coming weeks for more on how my colleagues are using our new Home Monitoring & Control service and for information on when this new innovative service will be available.

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements