Customers With Disabilities

Verizon Introduces Sports Pass for FiOS TV

by Employee ‎04-11-2013 12:22 PM - edited ‎04-11-2013 12:22 PM

SportsPass3a_032213.pngCalling all sports fans! If you're looking for more sports programming with your FiOS TV service, we have a new answer for you. Verizon is introducing a new option with the launch of the Sports Pass package.

Sports Pass is perfect for the FiOS TV customer who is looking for a wide variety of sports programming but doesn’t subscribe to our Ultimate HD package. The package includes 10 channels today and we’ll be adding more soon. Available for $9.99 per month, Sports Pass can be added to FiOS TV Local, FiOS TV Select HD, Prime HD, Extreme HD and La Conexion. All of the Sports Pass channels are included in the Ultimate HD package.

If you love college sports, the new Sports Pass features CBS Sports Network, Longhorn Network and ESPN Buzzer Beater/ ESPN Goal Line HD. For all of the soccer fans looking for beIN SPORT HD, we’ve included that in Sports Pass too! If you enjoy outdoor sports, the package includes Sportsman Channel, Outdoor Channel (SD & HD) and the World Fishing Network (SD & HD). Other channels at launch include ESPN Classic, HRTV and TVG. A full list of the channels and their corresponding FiOS TV Channel numbers is below.

If you’d like to order the Sports Pass package, you can do so online on the My Verizon website or call us at 1-800-VERIZON. As I mentioned, all of the channels included in Sports Pass are also included with Ultimate HD. So, to get your pass to all of the action, FiOS TV customers can either order the new Sports Pass package or upgrade to FiOS TV Ultimate, which gets you all of the Sports Pass channels plus more sports and all of the movies you can handle. One more note: adding Sports Pass does not mean you need to make any changes if you already subscribe to the previously offered Sports Package or Sports Package Extreme.

We hope to add more sports channels to Sports Pass this year. Stay tuned as we launch new channels and continue to enhance your FiOS TV service!

FiOS TV Sports Pass:

beIN SPORT HD:  598

CBS Sports Network:  94

ESPN Buzzer Beater/Goal Line HD:  571

ESPN Classic:  71

HRTV:  316

Longhorn Network:  320

Outdoor Channel:  307/591

Sportsman Channel:  308

TVG:  315

World Fishing Network:  317/597

Comments
by on ‎04-11-2013 01:15 PM

I would expect this to include BeIn 2 (or espanyol) HD, GolTV HD, NFL Network, and NFL RedZone. It seems like a strange combination of sports to include in a package.

by kes601 on ‎04-11-2013 01:40 PM

No offense, but removing:

ESPN Buzzer Beater/Goal Line HD:  571

ESPN Classic:  71

from the Extreme lineup only to now offer as part of a $10 add-in is a slap in the face to your customers.

Personally I never watched the channels, don't really care they are gone, but taking them away from a package only to then charge extra for them is wrong.

by on ‎04-11-2013 02:52 PM

I wish verizon would add ALL the regional sports channels in HD like directv does,I despertly want comcast sportsnet new england!! here in southern california.

by on ‎04-11-2013 02:59 PM

Moving more sports channels to Ultimate and Sports Pass is simply a response to all the non-sports fans telling Verizon that they don't want to pay for all these channels. Regional sports channels and more popular national sports networks will probably stay on Prime, but moves like these are needed to keep overall costs down, even if some people see it as a "slap in the face".

by shkohly on ‎04-11-2013 03:46 PM

Had they included the NFL Red Zone I might have done this. They don't even have CBS Sports network in HD

by on ‎04-11-2013 05:03 PM

how about universal sports network in HD please!!!

by on ‎04-11-2013 05:25 PM

Heather,

Will beIN Sports Espanol be added to this Sports Pass?

by rpjoe on ‎04-12-2013 03:05 PM

of course it won't. this is Verizons way of making things more confusing for customers as well as making them pay for the Spanish pacage if subscribers want to watch an alternate game on BeIn. lousy sports deal with bad HD offerings. 

by on ‎04-13-2013 09:05 AM

This new sports package"Sports Pass" is a very bad marketing decision! Perhaps if ALL of the channels included in this package were in HD it would be more appealing! Who wants to pay extra for mostly sports channels in SD???? Many of us have been complaining for quite some time about sports channels in SD, yet Verizon isn't listening with this new Sports Pass.

by jomicaza on ‎04-13-2013 03:58 PM

people complain just for the sake of complaining.  Really, more options... boohooooo.  you're confusing me.  They didn't say these channels were set in stone, the article says they'll be adding more channels soon and this is a good start for those that don't want to spend an extra 50 bucks or whatever it costs to get Ultimate. 

For Comcast you end up paying over 100 extra dollars for the same service.

by on ‎04-14-2013 09:40 PM

Verizon has stated that the two beIN channels are the same (one in English and one in Spanish) and that many off the games are simulcast.  This is from Ben Grad, Verizon's Director of Content Acquisition and Programming in a post on the blog announcing that beIN was added:

beIN SPORT en español generally features the same programming as beIN SPORT, just in different languages (and program re-airs sometimes happen at different times).  Major live events are typically simulcast (air at the same time on each network).

This is directly from beIN's website:

6. What is the difference between beIN SPORT and beIN SPORT en Español?

They are two distinct beIN SPORT networks, both of which have SAP capabilities.  Programming and scheduling may vary between both channels.

Sounds like beIN's thoughts on their channels differs with Verizon's version.

I also saw where Verizon no longer calls the Extreme Package the tier for sports and moved that to the Ultimate Package.

by asm20854 on ‎04-15-2013 07:05 AM

I'm not opposed to the concept of a sports package, but compare the $9.95 FiOS package to the $7.95 package from Comcast:

• 102       ESPNews
  • 256       PAC-12 Network
  • 258       ESPN U
  • 259       ESPN Goal Line/Buzzer Beater
  • 262       Fox College Sports Atlantic
  • 263       Fox College Sports Central
  • 264       Fox College Sports Pacific
  • 265       ESPN Classic
  • 267       Fox Soccer Channel
  • 268       Gol TV
  • 270       Outdoor Channel
  • 274       CBS Sports Network
  • 275       NFL Network
  • 276       NFL RedZone
  • 277       Tennis Channel
  • 278       Sportsman Channel
  • 280       MLB Network
  • 281       NHL Network
  • 284       Horse Racing TV
  • 285       TV Games
  • 286       Outside TV
  • 749       NBA TV
  • 852       ESPNews HD
  • 853       ESPN U HD
  • 854       CBS Sports Network HD
  • 858       NHL Network HD
  • 859       MLB Network HD
  • 860       NFL Network HD
  • 861       NFL RedZone HD
  • 862       Tennis Channel HD
  • 863       NBA TV HD
  • 864       Outdoor Channel HD
  • 917       Sportsman Channel HD

http://blog.pennlive.com/fanbox/2012/08/fan_box_comcast_launches_espn.html

If Verizon's package looked like this (hopefully with the addition of Pac-12 in HD), I would sign up in a heartbeat and even pay more than $9.95.

by on ‎04-15-2013 09:16 AM

I used to have Directv a few years ago, and their sports package was closer to what Comcast offers than what Verizon does.

It would be nice to have the NFL Redzone included in the Sports Pass (it may still be when football season rolls around) instead of having to paying separately for it or have the Ultimate tier.

I still am not sure why this Sports Pass was introduced when Verizon has the Extreme Sports Package?  Why not just add on to that?

My thought here is that this Sports Pass was designed, in part, to give customers the chance to get beIN Sports without having to upgrade to the Ultimate tier.  I noticed that Comcast does not offer beIN as part of their sports package. 

I am hoping that they will add beIN Sports Espanol as part of this package as well.  If you look at my post above, you will see that beIN considers these to be two separate channels, whereas Verizon believes they are basically the same.

by soccer1971 on ‎04-16-2013 02:53 PM

At some point it is what it is.  I am glad the Sports Pass package came.  I hate paying more money but BEIN Sports is something i really want.  Who knows maybe Fios will add more channels to it.  The above mention of Comcast's offering is impressive but I don't see BEIN Sports offered.  (Maybe I missed it.)  

I was really disappointed when it looked like Bein would only be offered at the Ultimate level.  From that regard I felt like Verizon heard the complaints and did not lower the channel to the Extreme level but compromised with Sports Package.  At least we can watch the best soccer in the world for 10 bucks a month.  Still way cheaper than going to even a MLS game with the family....

by adicecream on ‎05-07-2013 02:17 PM

Suddenly today tennis channel is gone from my package and after an hour with Verizon on the phone they decided I need sports pass to continue receiving TC.  Another 10.00 per month to keep what I had yesterday. 

by nate52025 on ‎05-09-2013 07:48 PM

Is Tennis Channel on the sports pass? I don't see it listed. I really hope we at least have to option to get it via the sports pass as opposed to having to switch to ultimate hd

by toolhull on ‎05-15-2013 06:00 PM

As a long time Fios costomer and a racing fan I am not happy tha Verizon has taken HRTV and TVG and made them part of this money grabing scam Sports Pass. I will not pay 10.00 bucks  a month to watch horse  racing on the weekend. And now we know Verizon is trying to grab as much money from their customers as they can.  For shame on Verizon. Looking for another provider now.

by Lsam on ‎05-26-2013 09:30 PM

FOXSOCCER is OUT of the channel lineup in August and you want us to pay another $10 for BEINSPORT? Simple math = one futbol channel leaves (foxsoccer) another one should take its place (Beinsport)

Stop scamming us for more money. I REFUSE TO PAY ANOTHER DIME. Tell your top executives to take a pay cut (of course that would never happen)... LOL

by gccradioscience on ‎07-11-2013 01:35 PM

All Verizon wants to do is make more money off of Ultimate subscribers.   They want you have receive more blackouts and gaps in your FiOS service.  

by Frip88 on ‎08-21-2013 01:38 PM

ESPN Classics channel should be standard.  One day I have it.  One day I don't.  Seems unfair. 

by Amaral22 on ‎08-23-2013 05:00 PM - last edited on ‎08-23-2013 05:36 PM by Moderator

Sports Pass..

Is anyone else having a hard time adding the sports pass to your account?

by wvig75 on ‎08-24-2013 10:44 AM

Yep, I'm in NOVA and I'm unable to order online and via the stupid channel. Via the channel it says ERROR try again later and Online is not even an option to order it.

What's the point of having these options available when we can't even use.  C'mon fios.

by phaedrus9 on ‎11-20-2013 09:01 PM

NoVa dweller here. Triple play. Got into the sports pass - $10 worth it for beIN HD for Soccer and Willow HD for cricket!

by phaedrus9 on ‎11-20-2013 09:04 PM

by the way, had to CALL to get this added - and the rep said they dont even publish the list of channels, as they keep changing it :smileyhappy:

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bill Kula

Director -- Media Relations

Photo of Bill Kula

Bill oversees the Verizon telecom customer experience, consumer bundles, DSL, e-commerce and small business. He helps customers learn about efficient ways to manage their Verizon services.

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools