Customers With Disabilities

Work-At-Home: Do Virtual Workers Help Or Hinder?

by Employee ‎10-06-2011 01:26 AM - edited ‎10-06-2011 01:26 AM

images.jpg

I know a lot of people who regularly work from home.  And based on their stories, I suspect there are times when you’re working from home and find yourself wandering away from your computer for a few minutes to water the plants, do a few exercises, or even play with your pet pooch or cat.

There are certainly a lot of personal advantages to working from home.  And when you factor in the time you save on commuting, plus avoiding time-sapping water cooler conversations, it’s alright to take a quick break here or there just as you would if you were in a traditional office.

If you opt to work consistently from home, you can be sure that your boss may wonder if you’ve got the discipline to keep the proverbial “nose to the grindstone” without getting lost in your fantasy football team or talking to a friend.

On the Verizon Think Forward blog, my colleague Stefanie Scott continues her "future of work" series by exploring how productive teleworkers are, whether they work longer or shorter hours, and what the boss expects from a work-at-home employee.

People who manage staffs and productivity know that managing mobile workforces can be a challenge.  BusinessWeek’s “CEO Guide to the Virtual Workplace: Tip Sheet’’ provides Do’s and Don’ts of managing virtual workforces, including providing the necessary equipment and setting goals while also establishing necessary “face time’’ with employees.  In addition, you’ll read that a key tip includes: “help them stop’’ …working, that is.

“The trouble with most virtual workers isn’t that they slack off, but that they don't know when to call it a day.  That's one reason they're 16 percent more productive than tethered counterparts,” the story said. “But that extra work can lead to burnout. Encourage employees to have personal lives.’’

Balance is important whether you spend 40 hours at the traditional office weekly or 40 hours over three days at home.  Verizon can help with the home entertainment part of balance. FiOS TV, for example, can help you fill your “down time” with an amazing picture quality that gives you the best of regular viewing pleasure, an ever-growing on-demand library or options to record and watch what you want, where you want and when you want.

And it also doesn’t hurt when you can use the nation’s fastest consumer broadband service that always makes it easier to get the information you need to get out the door and enjoy a good night out, a weekend in the mountains or at the beach, and/or pick up that special anniversary or birthday present.

As you reflect on your work style, let us know your thoughts on how you mix work with recreation throughout the day (and wee hours).  Comment on this blog here; or e-mail us at future.of.work@verizon.com; or weigh in on our Verizon social media properties – @verizonbusiness on Twitter using the hashtag #VZFOW, or on the Verizon Business pages on Facebook and LinkedIn.

Now, get back to work.

Comments
by Spring2011 on ‎10-29-2011 08:36 AM

I like working from home to!.    This is the reason why we opted to get Triple play three days ago.  However, the phone is not working, no dial tone for three days now.  Verizon said it is because of my phone.  So bought corded phone, and cordless phone and still no dial tone.  I sent an email and called but no response.  I have to go back to my old provider, Cox Communications.

by Moderator on ‎10-29-2011 09:15 AM

Hi Spring2011

Sorry you are having difficulty, an agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information or help you resolve your issue.

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bill Kula

Director -- Media Relations

Photo of Bill Kula

Bill oversees the Verizon telecom customer experience, consumer bundles, DSL, e-commerce and small business. He helps customers learn about efficient ways to manage their Verizon services.

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools