Customers With Disabilities

Your Remote. Your Control: Taking the FiOS Experience Mobile

by Employee ‎02-18-2010 10:05 AM - edited ‎02-18-2010 12:21 PM

Ever misplace your TV remote?  You search the entire room and wish you could just use your cell phone to change the channel.  Now you can and more with Mobile Remote, only available with the FiOS home network.  And we're letting our at Home readers know about it first.

Starting this week, FiOS TV customers who also have a Motorola Droid or HTC Imagio handset can use these devices to control their HD set-top-box. You'll have all the same functions of the standard FiOS remote and then some!  You can change channels, manage parental controls, pause, rewind, fast forward or record a TV show - all through the cell phone.

That's not all.  With a touch of the handset's screen, you can transfer one photo at a time from the handset to the TV or even view an entire slide show of photos stored on the mobile device.

Have a favorites list?  You can import it from the TV to the cell phone and then use the phone to select your favorite channels on any FiOS TV.  And don't worry about turning down the volume when answering a call. The device will automatically mute the TV set and resume to the previous volume level once the call ends.

Mobile Remote is easy to set up. You simply access the feature through the application store on the mobile handset and then pair the device with the in-home Wi-Fi network by opening up the Mobile Remote Widget on the TV and selecting either the Motorola Droid or HTC Imagio icon. You will then be asked to register your telephone number using the Widget, and you're all set to go.

We'll be making additional handsets available with Mobile Remote, so check back here for future announcements.

Comments
by JRWilliams308 on ‎02-18-2010 03:44 PM

I'd love to play with this on my HTC Imagio. but as of this posting, there's no Mobile Remote in the Windows Marketplace.   Any pointers on were to download this app from?

by Employee on ‎02-18-2010 05:20 PM

JRWilliams308:

For the time being, HTC Imagio users can go to this link to get started.  Let us know what you think:

http://m.verizon.com/tv/mobileremote 

by on ‎02-19-2010 01:44 AM

Pretty cool app for my droid, needs to be merged to the Fios Mobile app tho.  Why have 2 apps?  Also, please add "sling" like functionality so I can watch recorded shows from my DVR on my phone!

by Employee on ‎02-19-2010 01:52 PM

BigPete82,

We have two apps for space considerations on the mobile device.  A single app would have been fairly big in terms of download and mobile device memory.  We wanted to provide flexibility for users who may not have enough memory.

by namethattune on ‎02-19-2010 05:26 PM

When I get to the download site, I have a choice of Whitestone or Rhodium cab files to download. I actually own the ATT Tilt2 which is the HTC Rhodium, so I thought that would be the right choice. I installed the cab file and followed the instructions on the TV widget but run into an error when I try to enter my name/4-digits. The next screen keeps telling me that I have the wrong "Pin".

What pin is it referring to? The login screen asked for last 4-digits of mobile number. That being said, I tried my parental control pin, last 4-digits of home phone, 0000, 1234, etc. Nothing got me past the screen. I un-installed and re-installed, same result. The widget completed ok, and I can go back and see that the mobile number is registered.

Anybody have a clue? I called tech support and they never even heard of the product. They had to go online with some other level tech support and opened a ticket, with me waiting for a call back.

Is it only supposed to work on the Imagio/Whitestone? If so, why is the a cab for the Rhodium as well?

Thanks . . .

by Bushrod on ‎02-20-2010 01:22 AM

Can you hurry with the VGA version for Windows Mobile?  Please?

by justinwied on ‎02-22-2010 02:21 AM

Hey, when will this be available for the iphone 3gs? You guys are killing me here!!!

by Bushrod on ‎03-02-2010 11:51 AM

So...no answer, huh?

by mm2006 on ‎03-10-2010 07:12 PM

Good concept, but it needs work.  I'd call this a novelty -- it's not worth paying a monthly fee nor will I pay extra for an HD box on a SD TV.  My Palm Z22 can act as a universal remote without any upgrade, and we have a dozen generic remotes laying around that work just fine.

I was going to try the Windows Mobile link on my shiny new Touch Pro2 and don't like how large the app it - but I like the concept so I went ahead...only to find out this isn't supported on any of the QIP2500-3 SD recievers we have!  Dissapointing.  I was all ready to sacrafice memory too.

What would be better (and gain support for all cell carriers) would be to run a tiny webserver on the STB and let us assign a network name.  Then you could take your favoriate device (Laptop, Desktop, PSP, Smartphone, iPhone, iTouch, etc) and browse to something like "http://bedroom-stb" and have a nice simple remote.  I've thought this would be really cool for a long time...here's something I read once about a similar idea for a standard LCD TV (without a cable box) -- http://www.rdex.net/projects/lg_tv/ and that would be SO cool to have with FiOS.

by e-man on ‎04-15-2010 09:06 AM

I can't seem to get the mobile remote working with my HTC Imagio. It installs fine, however, when I tried to use it (after following all the installation steps - several times), I get a pop up message on my TV that indicates the connection failed (Connect Failed). Any ideas?

I noticed the first time I installed the mobile remote app on my phone, I was prompted to enter a username (and something else, but I can't remember). Even if I uninstall the mobile remote software from my phone, I'm never asked to provide (or correct?) this information again. Where is it stored, and how do I remove it so I can reenter it?

by Employee on ‎04-16-2010 09:41 AM

e-man,

Sorry you've had trouble getting Mobile Remote to work with your HTC Imagio.  Try going back to the home page for the Mobile Remote Widget and delete the phone number.  Then reboot your set-top box and go through the registration process again.  This should get things working for you.

by SoCal_FIOS_User on ‎04-20-2010 01:26 PM

Any ETA for Touch Pro 2? I am running latest WM 6.5 image released for Verizon.

by Employee on ‎04-21-2010 04:37 PM

SoCal_FIOS_User,

We do plan to add more handsets to Mobile Remote, but I can't give out the ETA for specific models.

by skeltonms on ‎05-20-2010 09:01 PM

Bobbi_Henson

I've gone through the steps provided by the FIOS Widget (1-launch widget, 2-select Imagio, 3-enter ph#, 4-receive SMS with URL, 5-install Mobile Remote, 6-run Mobile Remote) yet I have been unable to get the phone and set top box to connect.

I am connected via the WLAN as required; in fact, when I attempt to run the Mobile Remote app, the TV screen will report "Mobile Remote     connect failed" within seconds.  After about 15 seconds, the phone will come back with a connect failure message as well.

The application has no other option available at that time except EXIT or REFRESH (which merely repeats the error cycle).

I have unregistered and reregistered multiple times.  Likewise, I have uninstalled the application and reinstalled multiple times to no avail.

FIOS TV support punted me to VZW.  VZW took it to tier 2 but proceeded to punt back.

Any advice?

I do have DVR Manager off of the Marketplace running without a hitch.

TIA - Scott

by Employee on ‎05-21-2010 11:49 AM

Scott,

Sorry you've been unable to install Mobile Remote.  We'll have someone reach out to you offline to help.

by perpaceco on ‎06-09-2010 07:13 PM

There's been a lot trouble with me and a few friends getting the registration text. It works when you use the mobile browser to go to the address given on the tv and inputting the pin. That message shows on the tv when it gives you the "cant connect" error. Can you give that address, I know the pin is the last four digits of the cell.

by retro_one on ‎06-23-2010 07:43 PM

Hi,

I just installed the remote app in my HTC Touch Pro 2 (rhoduim), Followed every step, activated widget and connected to wifi. I'm getting error "CONNECT FAILED" on my TV. Also restarted the TV and re-register the number but same error. How can i troubleshoot? pls help

Thanks~ Art

by Employee on ‎06-24-2010 03:21 PM

Art,

It sounds like you've tried some troubleshooting steps already, so it's best at this point to contact our Fiber Solutions Center and let one of our techs help you.  The number is 888-553-1555.

by Bronowyn on ‎08-31-2010 11:57 PM

I really like this app.  Unfortunately, it's almost 15MB.  I was excited when I got FROYO, as I thought I would be able to take this or the DVR app (also massive) and "Send to SD Card".

That ability has not been turned on, and I sadly had to uninstall it today when I got the next FROYO update, so I could fit flash on my phone.

Could you please turn on the ability to "Send to SD Card"?  There's no widget component, so you should be able to without interruption.

Thank you!

by Employee on ‎09-01-2010 03:59 PM

Bronowyn,

Sorry this isn't working for you.  It sounds like you already have the 2.2 Froyo update, so you should be able to send the app to the SD card now.  If you're still having problems, please call FiOS technical support at 1-888-553-1555, and one of our technicans will troubleshoot this for you.

by Bronowyn on ‎09-05-2010 04:02 PM

Bobbi - Thanks for the response.  I did update to FROYO 2.2, but the application does not allow "Move to SD Card", the application designer did flip the switch to allow it to happen.  On my Droid (the original), and on my husband's Droid Incredible, neither has this button active.  So, if you could just tell whomever update the app, that would be great, as I cannot download it again until it has that ability.  If they are the same group that updates the "Verizon FIOS DVR Manager" another great app, you should tell them to turn that ability on on that application (and the ability to control more than one DVR).  Thanks!

by nwmishkin on ‎09-11-2010 07:44 PM

I tried to set up Mobile Remote a number of times, but failed.  I went through the widget install/config set on my TV but when it gets to the step of trying to send a TXT to my phone (a DROID), it always immediately fails, displaying the message "SMS Error" on the TV.  I contacted VZ FiOS Support and got someone who said that the feature works only with a DVR-capable set-top boxes, which isn't what I have.  It seemed like an unlikely explanation (considering the error message), and reading your original posting above makes it seem even more unlikely (since you seem to be describing functionality that would make sense regardless of whether my STB is DVR-capable or not).

Thanks for any help / pointers you can provide.

by Employee on ‎09-15-2010 05:33 AM

nwmishkin,

This is Heather Wilner.  As we mentioned in this blog post, Mobile Remote works with the HD set-top box, so we apologize you didn't get the correct information from one of our agents.  If you haven't been able to launch it from your TV, try going to the Droid apps store and launching it from there.

Heather

by nwmishkin on ‎09-17-2010 08:51 AM

Heather,

That worked great, thanks!

Nat

by denver001 on ‎12-16-2010 11:24 AM - last edited on ‎12-16-2010 12:44 PM by Moderator

Try this dude:

{please keep it relevant}

by DanoNYC on ‎01-04-2011 09:35 AM

The instruction text never was able to be sent to my HTC TouchPro2

After 2 weeks of getting different answers (such as "It's a problem on our end -we're sending you a new STB" - A live chat rep 'Jean' reset my box (which I did locally without help) and then had me hard reset my router.

I eventually got the Remote APP to work..  (The instruction text NEVER worked, but when I installed manually, the app did work.)   It said there was an update on my cell - but the update would NEVER install - so I skipped it and went with the existing app.

The next day - now it's not working.  The difference now is it still communicates with the STB

Instead of flashing STB 1 - it flashes

MOBILE REMOTE
- CONNECT FAILED.

This is frustrating.

I've had the service for 3 weeks and nothing has worked as advertised.

by Employee on ‎01-04-2011 10:18 AM

DanoNYC,

Sorry you're having trouble with this app.  I've asked our Social Media tech team to reach out to you so that you can start enjoying Mobile Remote.

Bobbi

by DanoNYC on ‎01-25-2011 03:12 AM

Thanks Bobbi -

I'm on my 3rd STB.   My first one, I got it to work ONCE - even though installer didn't help me set it up after an 8 hour install - and VOD and other features weren't quite working into the 9th hour - AND he swapped out boxes on site.

I got it to work once.

Then the NETWORK ERROR.
I was sent a new STB - but it had a bad HDMI port... and the same issues with NETWORK ERROR.

I was then sent a 3rd STB - being told the 1st one was not compatible (ignoring the fact that I DID get it to work briefly... but I got the same error - and spent my days trying different things.

Art - this may help you.

I registered TP2 with my # - and got the "could not send instructions failure.  This seems to have always been a problem... so I installed it manually.

I set up WiFi - and connected to my WiFi router.
*** KEY POINT -  When WiFi is connected, try DISCONNECTING "Data Connection" in your TP2 settings.  It seems that if this is connected, it causes NETWORK ERROR when trying a second time.

At this point you should get the CONNECTING icon for STB1 (or STB2, etc.) and the software should load on your phone.
It will prompt your cell with "There is an application update available".   THIS supposed upgrade was never found by the mobile browser - so I suggest ignoring it - and loading the APP.

On doing so, the features seem to work fine - as long as you disconnect DATA CONNECTION after connecting the mobile to WIFI successfully.

VERIZON:  Could you PLEASE make a link known to download this specified "Update" if it indeed exists?
I think I'm running version 1    build 004 - but I'm always prompted to update - though updates aren't found.   Using version numbers in the file name or in a link - and showing it on the APP loading screen would help clear up this confusion.

by Gadgetgirl1 on ‎03-03-2011 09:18 PM
Is their a way to program your TV in the remote app? I've tried using the set-top volume control, but it doesn't work.
by Employee on ‎03-04-2011 12:36 PM

Gadgetgirl1,

If  you're asking if you can use FiOS Mobile Remote to change the volume on your TV, the answer is yes.  There's a good video about using Mobile Remote here:

https://www36.verizon.com/fiostv/web/unprotected/FiosMobile.aspx

Bobbi

by Kier on ‎03-24-2011 02:20 AM
I have an android tablet (I am using it now), and have phones with the android OS. Any chance that there will be apps for FIOS interaction?
by Employee on ‎03-24-2011 10:12 AM

Kier,

FiOS Mobile apps are already available on Android phones, and we'll be adding more devices that you'll be able to use as a FiOS remote control or to set your DVR remotely.  You can find more information and a list of compatible devices here:

https://www36.verizon.com/fiostv/web/unprotected/Apps_Overview.aspx

Bobbi

by Bellemae on ‎10-29-2011 02:17 AM

Is this app now available on a mytouch 4g or is this goin to be one of the applications for verizon wireless phones only

by laurin1 on ‎05-13-2012 01:23 AM

I got this working just fine using my iPhone 4s and it worked for about a month. Tonight, my phone could not find any devices and when I opened the Mobile Remote Widget, I get NETWORK ERROR (and in the background it says Mobile Remote: Disabled.)

I've reset STB. Checked the System Information (INFO button) and all three services (including Widget server) say connected.

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bill Kula

Director -- Media Relations

Photo of Bill Kula

Bill oversees the Verizon telecom customer experience, consumer bundles, DSL, e-commerce and small business. He helps customers learn about efficient ways to manage their Verizon services.

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools