Customers With Disabilities

Displaying articles for: January 2012

dpdeng.pngMichael Kaiser, executive director of the National Cyber Security Alliance, shares some tips about online privacy as part of the international observance of Data Privacy Day on Saturday, Jan. 28.  Michael joined NCSA in 2008 and prior to that spent 25 years in the field of victim's services at the National Center for Victims of Crime and other organizations.

How frequently do you purchase something online or sign up for a new service?

Now think about the extent to which you share your personal billing, contact, and other private information in order to achieve such tasks.

Chances are you’ve shared a lot of information online trusting that this data would be safely protected.

But what if it wasn’t kept confidential? What if some of your data was sold or mishandled in some way?               

This notion might encourage you to take a closer look at how your data is being collected, shared, and stored online.

Read more...

banner_concierge_160x114.gifTom Nugent, national sales director at Verizon Enhanced Communities, is our guest blogger.  Tom leads the Verizon team responsible for building and maintaining relationships with multi-family property owners, developers, property management companies and real estate investment trusts (REITs).

As January winds down, I have to ask the difficult question.  How many of your New Year’s resolutions have been relegated to the 2012 garbage bin?.

Whether it has been to lose ten pounds, exercise more, cut down on chocolate or spend more time with the family, no matter how simple the resolutions we make at midnight on New Year’s Eve, most are often forgotten before the end of January.

But if you’re the owner or manager of a multi-family FiOS community, or a board member of a condo association with FiOS, we have some easy ideas to help you make and keep some really big resolutions this year.

Read more...

Tennis Channel Returns to FiOS

by Employee ‎01-17-2012 12:23 PM - edited ‎01-17-2012 02:10 PM

TTC_logo.jpgGood news for all you tennis fans out there! Tennis Channel is returning to the FiOS TV lineup, starting today.

As most of you know, Verizon has been working hard on behalf of our FiOS customers to reach a new agreement with Tennis Channel.

Read more...

TV Everywhere? We’re getting there

by Employee ‎01-12-2012 03:01 PM - edited ‎01-12-2012 04:23 PM

TV that follows you everywhere, on glowing rectangles of various sizes, still has a way to go to be fully realized, according to a panel discussion held at the Consumer Electronics Show.  In that regard, Verizon’s FiOS and 4G-LTE networks continue to set the pace for the best viewing experience as consumers stream more and more toward borderless lifestyles and TV everywhere.

Read more...

Connections, Food Fights and the Competitive Internet Ecosystem

by Employee ‎01-12-2012 12:02 PM - edited ‎01-12-2012 05:17 PM

Here at CES, it’s a mad house.  I walked the floor Wednesday with thousands of my closest friends, looking for “the next big thing.”

I found something better.

Thousands of gadgets, hundreds of e-tools, and scores and sores of connected devices.  With some pride I noted how much of consumer electronics this year are part of the 4G LTE ecosystem, an ecosystem that wouldn’t exist to this advanced degree without Verizon’s network innovation.

Meters, wireless cameras, handsets, tablets – if you wanted a common theme at this year’s show – “connections” would be what I would say.

Read more...

Innovation

by Admin Emeritus ‎01-11-2012 09:25 PM - edited ‎01-11-2012 09:28 PM

vzn_CES_info_v3-blog.jpg

This blog post was written by our newest blogger, John Czwartacki. Stay tuned for more blog posts from CZ.

Verizon is a company like many others in the technology space.  Filled with innovative minds, brimming with patents.  But we are also always striving to become something better.

We’re determined to change, evolve, in a word, innovate who we are and what we do.

We are becoming a globally connected solutions company.  We already provide the tools that make a borderless life reality. Our networks allow you, and the developers who are everywhere at CES, to erase boundaries of geography, space, and time. 

But as our new president of Verizon Enterprise Solutions John Stratton said at his panel today, transforming ourselves into this type of tech company involves this kind of innovation.

Read more...

The Tricky Business of Delivery

by Employee ‎01-11-2012 07:22 PM - edited ‎01-11-2012 07:22 PM

vzn_CES_info_v2-blog.jpgThis blog post was written by our newest blogger, John Czwartacki. Stay tuned for more blog posts from CZ.

The airplane that brought me to CES does a lot of amazing things. It connected me with where I wanted to go, it navigated around bad weather, dealt with the legal and jurisdictional requirements along my route, with its secure cockpit doors and pre-board screening, kept the bad guys at bay, and delivered me and all of my things safely where it promised. The miracle of human flight, as Mr. Louis CK calls it.

In many ways, Verizon does the same. We connect you with your destination, and help you meet your goals. Whether it’s to consume a piece of content or delivering some valuable 1s and 0s to a client across the globe, we’re in the virtual delivery game.

Verizon has built a global mesh of connections that makes sending or receiving digital goods possible. We ensure the security of that delivery, take pains to protect and navigate the copyright and legal protections that accompany those goods, and have the developed the technology to bring that content to the screen of your choosing.

Read more...

In addition to the myriad big, loud booths, wildly dressed presenters, and the sheer volume of humanity weaving through it all, the Consumer Electronics Show also hosts a variety of tech-centric panel discussions. I’ll sit-in on a few before the show is over.

One of the panels I attended discussed “Consumer Demand for Energy as a Service.” Broadband has opened the home energy market beyond traditional utility companies and energy service providers, the discussion highlighted. Panelists discussed barriers to effective use and deployment of smart meters, raising consumer awareness around energy, all while keeping it simple and easy.

“It’s not about sophistication. It’s about making it easy and simply while delivering what the customer wants,” said Ann Shaub, director of product management for Verizon, who was one of the panelists. 

In October of 2011, Ann and her team helped make Verizon the first major Internet service provider to offer a smart home service on a mass scale. The panelists, which included CEOs and CTOs from companies like SmartLabs and Blue Line Innovations, seemed to agree that raising consumer awareness of the price of energy and how simple decisions based on individual lifestyles and preferences will help adoption of the connected home.

Read more...

FiOS Launches Showtime Anytime

by Employee on ‎01-10-2012 10:07 AM

Anytime1.jpgWe often talk here about the borderless lifestyle and how Verizon is making this possible for today’s consumers – especially our tech savvy FiOS customers. Today we’re again expanding our borderless offering, with the launch of SHOWTIME ANYTIME.  

FiOS TV customers are among the first to receive unlimited access to this online and mobile service, which features more than 400 hours of SHOWTIME’s original programming, hit movies and sports offerings. With your Verizon FiOS login credentials, you can easily access all of this programming on your PC, from any location with a broadband connection, and from your iPad.

Read more...

CES and the Potential it Promises

by Admin Emeritus on ‎01-09-2012 04:20 PM - last edited on ‎01-10-2012 10:01 AM by Employee

vzn_CES_info_v1-blog (2).jpg This blog post was written by our newest blogger, John Czwartacki. Stay tuned for more blog posts from CZ coming soon...

Well it’s time for another Consumer Electronics Show (CES).  Booths are going up, devices are being polished, and check-ins are flying.  Before packing my bags for Vegas, I was packing up Christmas lights for another year and I got to thinking: did the early deplorers of the electric grid have any idea what they we unleashing on all of us?  1,000 lights on a tree may be excessive, and it is pretty cool to look at, but the was no way they knew the availability of the grid in every home would spur a manufacturer in China to produce for me a strand of Christmas lights so our tree had some eye candy. 

Read more...

CES 2012! Or as I like to call it: TechAPalooza

by Employee ‎01-09-2012 11:57 AM - edited ‎01-09-2012 12:00 PM

ScreenShot of CES Newscenter.pngI'm sitting at JFK airport waiting for my flight to Vegas. I don't plan on spending too much time at the tables (I'm a horribly uninterested gambler), but I do plan on being wowed by a dizzying flurry of devices and tech demos at the 2012 International Consumer Electronics Show, dubbed the largest trade show in the world

If you want a one-stop shop for your CES fix, visit our newsroom at http://newscenter.verizon.com/ces/. A bunch of us will be posting videos, blogs, news releases and linking to news stories of interest.

Here are more details about Verizon's presence at 2012 International CES:

At the 2012 International CES next week, Verizon and a wide range of technology ecosystem partners will demonstrate how they are creating innovative solutions and breaking down old-technology barriers to meet the communications and entertainment needs of consumers and businesses.

Stratton will be part of the CES Innovation Power Panel taking place at 9 a.m. PT Wednesday (Jan. 11) in the Las Vegas Hilton Theater. The panel, which also includes CEOs from Xerox and Ford Motor Co., will explore how a spirit of innovation and entrepreneurship helped make their companies global leaders in their respective industries. Verizon will webcast the power panel live.

Read more...

The Future of TV is Looking Green

by Employee ‎01-05-2012 09:26 PM - edited ‎01-06-2012 05:10 PM

Velcro is great! You can even use it to watch TV. Well, not quite yet, but one day your set-top box, that appliance that lets you watch Modern Family in HD or DVR Monday Night Football, will be so small and light weight that you’ll be able to Velcro it to the back of your TV.

Let’s take it a step further. You’ll be able to use a media server in one room to watch live, recorded or on-demand content in other rooms as long as you have an IP connected device like a game console or a blu ray player.

In our labs in Waltham, Mass., we’re busy working with partners to develop the future of TV.

Read more...

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bill Kula

Director -- Media Relations

Photo of Bill Kula

Bill oversees the Verizon telecom customer experience, consumer bundles, DSL, e-commerce and small business. He helps customers learn about efficient ways to manage their Verizon services.

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools