Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS

Displaying articles for: November 2009

Fantastic Four – Verizon’s Quad Play Bundles Popular With Customers

by ‎11-30-2009 10:39 AM - edited ‎11-25-2009 09:25 AM

For the last six weeks, Verizon's customers in the Northeast and Washington, DC areas have been the first in the nation to try our new "Quad Play" bundle with TV, Internet, phone service and Wireless...and they're loving it. To refresh your memory, the Quad Play allows customers to bundle voice services from Verizon and Verizon Wireless with broadband and TV services from either FiOS or with HSI and DIRECTV services. For customers who only want to use Verizon Wireless for their voice service - well, there's a bundle for that too...and all comes on one bill.
Read more...

radiosmaller.PNGPeople expect good customer service, but when a company goes the extra mile it can mean keeping a customer for life, especially when the service is critical to the customer. For a small organization on Cape Cod in Massachusetts that serves the visually impaired, reliable service from Verizon is essential. Audible Local Ledger - an affiliate of the Massachusetts Reading Service - operates over closed-circuit radio stations and uses Verizon High Speed Internet service to connect with the towers of local radio stations. The Ledger is a small non profit organization that relies completely on Verizon to assure that daily news and items of interest from local publications are carried to listeners. Read more...

This Cyber Monday, Shop Safely

by Employee ‎11-26-2009 11:39 PM - edited ‎11-26-2009 11:41 PM

ecommerce.JPGI've always been a procrastinator about holiday shopping. My kick-off to the gift-buying season has traditionally been Dec. 22. Luckily, shopping online has changed everything. Amazon, Overstock.com, Ebay, you name it, online shopping sites have eliminated the need to witness the holiday horrors of the crowded shopping mall. If, like many Americans, you're starting your holiday shopping on Cyber Monday, have a great time but remember, just as there are pickpockets at the mall, there are some evil folks waiting for you on line too. So here are a few tips from my friends at Verizon Online for a safe online shopping experience. Read more...

Thanksgiving Computing to Go

by Employee on ‎11-25-2009 01:59 PM

smallturkey.JPGThanksgiving is here, and all of us at the AtHome blog hope you are spending it with family, friends and loved ones. Have a wonderful celebration of the most American holiday! Of course, besides meaning food, family and friends, Thanksgiving also means travel for millions of us. Bobbi talked about how FiOS Widgets can help make your trip go smoother in our Widget Wednesday post earlier. But if you're a Verizon broadband customer waiting for a train or a plane or maybe taking a travel break in a coffee shop, don't forget that you can stay in touch by using more than 14,000 free Verizon Wi-Fi hot spot locations. Read more...

Widget Wednesday: Expect the unexpected with Thanksgiving travel this year

by Employee ‎11-25-2009 09:42 AM - edited ‎11-25-2009 09:46 AM

Widget Wednesday LogoThis week, it's over the river and through the woods to Grandmother's house we go. Yes, Thanksgiving is here and the holiday travel season is upon us. AAA reports that this Thanksgiving, 33.2 million Americans will travel by car, up 2.1 percent from last year. Wherever your destination may be, if you're behind the wheel traffic and weather are sure to play a role in your holiday schedule. FiOS TV subscribers have a couple of interactive Widgets at their fingertips to help plan holiday trips across town or across the nation. Read more...

International calling help families, friends stay connected across the miles

by Employee ‎11-24-2009 10:16 AM - edited ‎11-24-2009 10:18 AM

globesmall.JPGHundreds of years after the Mayflower landed in New England, people are still immigrating to America. The world has gotten smaller, and it's certainly easier to get around today than it was in Pilgrim times. It's also easy for us to continue to keep in touch with family and friends in other countries with a simple phone call. This Thanksgiving Verizon has launched a promotion that lets those with relatives back home make that call more at a discount. Customers can add the International Single Rate (ISR) calling plan to any Verizon Freedom Essentials bundled so calls overseas cost about 2 cents per minute. Verizon's International Single Rate calling plan allows customers in the U.S. to make calls up to 118 countries. Read more...

She's Got....Verizon Games

by Employee ‎11-24-2009 09:31 AM - edited ‎11-24-2009 09:32 AM

ShesGotGame.PNGHi. I'm Bobbi and I'm an online gaming junkie. I play canasta, mahjong, board games, bingo, gin rummy, dominoes, and countless other casual games online. I even play a game where you own a virtual bakery and make cupcakes and cookies for unusual customers like wizards and elves. In our home, it's my teenaged son who has to get me off the computer - not the other way around. Read more...

A Change of Pace

by Employee ‎11-23-2009 04:08 PM - edited ‎11-30-2009 11:32 AM

keyboard.JPGAs you folks know, I've been sole blogger on the AtHome space since it launched this past summer. But, hey, there are a lot of smart people around here, and it's time to share the fun, their expertise and their two-cents worth. So now, three of my colleagues will join me blogging here. They are all on the Verizon Media Relations team: Bobbi Henson, Jim Smith and Bill Kula. Here's a brief rundown of what they will be discussing here. Read more...

Move Over Cable: Philadelphians Get FiOS TV

by Employee ‎11-23-2009 10:25 AM - edited ‎11-23-2009 10:27 AM

Today, Verizon FiOS comes to the City of Brotherly Love. FiOS is now available in parts of Philadelphia, giving residents a real choice for TV and Internet service. Earlier this year, Verizon started making the largest investment ever in our Philadelphia communications network to bring FiOS to the city. Unlike Comcast, the city's current cable provider, Verizon connects customers directly to an all-fiber network, meaning faster Internet, killer video picture and sound and gobs of TV to watch including 130 channels of HD.
Read more...

EPIX Turns Thanksgiving Into an Action-Packed Weekend

by Employee ‎11-23-2009 09:29 AM - edited ‎11-23-2009 09:31 AM

turkey.JPGIf you're a fan, then, as we said last week, nothing goes better than football with FiOS during the Thanksgiving holiday. But, if football isn't your thing, Verizon is adding to your Thanksgiving feast with an action-packed special offer from EPIX called the "Feast of Fury." Starting Thanksgiving Day at 11:30 a.m. ET, EPIX subscribers can enjoy a non-stop action-adventure movie marathon, beginning with "The Indy 500: 500 Minutes of Indiana Jones." Watch Harrison Ford bring Indy to life in all four Indiana Jones movies, including, "Raiders of the Lost Ark." Busy cooking Thanksgiving Day? Well, we've got more. EPIX's "Feast of Fury" continues throughout the weekend with films like "Iron Man, "The Hunt for Red October," "Flash Gordon" and more. A total of 21 movie classics over four days. Read more...

Twitter TWe've talked about providing the best customer experience here before. Today's customers expect an around-the-clock commitment. Just as important, customers want a variety of tools to get the help and information they need. Verizon and many other companies have jumped on social media as more and more customers are turning to Twitter and other services when they want help. But as USA Today pointed out this week, Twitter can be part of a company's customer service program, but it's not a be-all and end-all solution. Read more...

sharenetlogo.JPGEvery day we get compliments from customers who love their FiOS and HSI. "Can't believe the picture." "The Interactive Media Guide takes me right to the programs I'm looking for in an instant." "I didn't know there were so many HD channels." "Blazing fast Internet." We love it when happy customers spread the word, so now Verizon wants to reward you. Simply refer a friend or family member to Verizon. If the new customer signs up for FiOS TV, FiOS Internet, High Speed Internet or phone service, both of you will be rewarded - up to $600 a year for you. Read more...

Family-Owned Business Relies on Verizon

by Employee ‎11-19-2009 09:05 AM - edited ‎11-19-2009 09:07 AM

Seafood.JPGOne of the strengths of Verizon's network is its 99.9% reliability. In an age where the buzz is all about TV and Internet, phone service sometimes gets lost, but for many small businesses, it's the nervous system that connects them with customers, and they're counting on reliable never-drop-a-call service. Take Stuart's Seafood Market in East Hampton on Long Island, New York. This family-owned business runs a bustling wholesale and retail operation. In fact, they have a refrigerator that can hold 10,000 pounds of lobster when the catch comes in. According to owner Charlotte Sasso, "Our business is completely dependent on phones. Not only do we have a walk-up counter and market here for locals..." Read more...

Widget Wednesday: Web TV Already In Season on FiOS

by Employee ‎11-18-2009 09:39 AM - edited ‎11-18-2009 02:26 PM

Widget Wednesday LogoUSA Today asks the question on its front page: Could this finally be the season for Web TV? The story not long ago focused on manufacturers who are working to bring Internet capabilities to television sets. One manufacturer offered the opinion that TV will become "a completely new ballgame," and Web TV will be "the next area of innovation" following computers and cell phones. Hold on a minute. Buy a new flat screen TV to get interactive, multimedia Web info? When there's already a computer hooked to your TV - the set-top box? Read more...

At Home with FiOS TV

by Employee ‎11-17-2009 11:38 AM - edited ‎11-17-2009 11:40 AM

andru.jpgIt's always interesting to get direct feedback from consumers as they experience FiOS for the first time. We recently hosted a FiOS TV demo for a group of Seattle-area consumers in the home of Gear Live blogger, Andru Edwards. While everyone loved the casual atmosphere and the great food, the star of the evening was FiOS. Read more...

football.JPGWith Thanksgiving just around the corner, we're thinking about the food, family and - of course - football. What would the holiday be without zoning out in front of a bunch of games as you digest a great meal? At our house, six guys and three girls, trust me, we'll be in front of the FiOS TV checking out the great football picture and all the stuff FiOS does that cable can't. Like the NFL RedZone channel and RedZone Widget. Watching the RedZone keeps you posted in real time by switching from game to game as teams enter their opponent's 20-yard line. With seven weeks to go in the season, Verizon is cutting the price of the NFL RedZone channel to $29.99 for the remaining games. So, if you haven't seen the channel yet, this is too good to pass up. Read more...

FiOS Internet Supercharges Manhattan’s Bryant Park Wi-Fi

by Employee ‎11-16-2009 09:58 AM - edited ‎11-16-2009 10:11 AM

74226775.JPGNext time you're strolling around midtown Manhattan, make a stop at Bryant Park on 42nd and 6th and experience the power of Verizon FiOS Internet service. Verizon FiOS Internet 50 megabit service is now powering the free Wi-Fi that the Bryant Park Corporation provides to all its park-goers. If you know Bryant Park, you know that on a bright sunny day, the park is jam-packed with people using their laptops and mobile devices on their lunch breaks, attending concerts or movies, or just taking a shortcut to their next destination. Per square foot, it may be the busiest park in the world for Internet traffic. Read more...

Verizon Offers Hot Holiday Deals

by Employee ‎11-16-2009 08:30 AM - edited ‎11-16-2009 02:12 PM

movieonlaptop thumb.JPGEach year about this time, consumers get primed for Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals. Well, just in time, Verizon has some value-packed FiOS and High Speed Internet deals to make your holiday season merrier. Anyone signing up for a triple-play bundle gets a $150 Visa prepaid card and $10 off every month for a year on a two-year plan. Plus, we're also offering anyone signing up for FiOS TV our Home Media DVR at no charge for three months. Live in one of our Northeast or Mid-Atlantic states? If you add Verizon Wireless to your FiOS bundle, you'll get $15 a month off for the first year. Read more...

Launch In-Home Agent, Enter a Sweepstakes

by Employee ‎11-13-2009 02:55 PM - edited ‎11-13-2009 03:10 PM

InHOmeAgent.PNGI've mentioned the Verizon In-Home Agent, an online tool that provides fast easy solutions for common FiOS questions, a couple of times. If you haven't tried it, you should now because we're running a sweepstakes to promote it. Until the end of the year, everyone who downloads and launches the In-Home Agent tool, or opens it if it's already on your computer desktop, can easily enter a sweepstakes to win one of four Flip Ultra cameras being given away each week. Read more...

IDC 2009The global technology research firm, IDC, has announced that Verizon's Internet service for small business is the winner of this year's IDC SMB Excellence Award. We're proud of that, but with download speeds of up to 50 Mbps and upload speeds of up to 20 Mbps, it's pretty clear that FiOS Internet for Business provides fast, consistent connections. Fast, reliable Internet service is critical if you're a small business owner counting on your Internet connection to keep in touch with customers, send out bills, take orders and give you an edge. You can't take a chance with a home computer connection like cable. Read more...

Starz and Encore Freeview on FiOS TV

by Employee on ‎11-11-2009 03:31 PM

Starz HD 1 color CMYK.jpgLike getting things for free? Over the past few months, we've told you about a variety of free previews for FiOS TV customers, including EPIX, Disney Family Movies, CBS College Sports Network and NHL Center Ice. Well, we have more free stuff coming your way. From today through Sunday, Nov. 15, at 11:59 p.m., FiOS TV customers will be able to watch Starz and Encore for free. So check out all of the movies and original series that both channels have to offer. Starz can be found on channels 340-347 in SD and 840, 842, 845 and 847 in HD. Encore is on channels 350-362 (SD) and 850 in HD. Read more...

Widget Wednesday: Check Out What’s Hot on FiOS TV

by Employee ‎11-11-2009 09:49 AM - edited ‎11-11-2009 09:51 AM

Widget Wednesday LogoLike many people, I'm a creature of habit when it comes to watching TV. Even with 500 all-digital FiOS TV channels at my fingertips, I'm pretty loyal to a handful of favorite shows. But when I get the urge to try something new on TV, it can be hard to land on something. As fun as it is to surf the FiOS TV channel guide, I usually want to find something new in a hurry. Well, there's a Widget for that! One of the first Widgets we launched on FiOS, "What's Hot on FiOS," is just the ticket for those times when you want to find a new show to try out. Read more...

FiOS TV Makes Thanksgiving Easier

by Employee ‎11-10-2009 09:44 AM - edited ‎11-10-2009 09:50 AM

turkey.JPGWith less than three weeks until Thanksgiving, there isn't much time left to prepare - especially if you're hosting the big meal. But, FiOS TV customers are in luck. With high-def how-to videos from Howcast on FiOS TV VOD, you can find tips on everything from cooking the perfect turkey to snagging the best bargains at the Black Friday sales. Thanksgiving-related videos from Howcast, which are also available online, include "How to Solve the Most Common Thanksgiving Dinner Disasters" and "How to Cook a Quick and Easy Perfect Turkey." There are plenty of other videos on cooking a turkey, making good stuffing, and tricks for a speedy post-dinner clean-up. Read more...

Guys: Put Away the Ego and Take out the Manual…or In-Home Agent

by Employee ‎11-09-2009 03:06 PM - edited ‎11-10-2009 10:21 AM

frustration.JPGYeah, yeah. We've heard it all before - men are less apt to ask for directions than women, at least according to women. Well now, a recent study conducted by Gadget Helpline, may show the same trend applies to getting directions from tech manuals. According to Ars Technica, the Gadget Helpline study analyzed 75,000 calls received between September and October 2009. The results made clear that we guys actually believe quite firmly that we know what we're doing without reading manuals ...and happy to let you know it! Sixty-four percent of the men who called the helpline had not checked out the booklet that came with their computer or gadgets before making the call, compared to a significantly lower 24 percent of female callers. Read more...

0,1425,i=247060,00.gifPCMag.com readers have again given high praise to Verizon's broadband services. For the third year in a row, Verizon FiOS Internet was ranked first on the Web site's annual Internet Service Provider (ISP) Service and Reliability Survey. FiOS Internet blew the competition away, scoring 8.7 out of 10 in its overall rating -- well ahead of the closest cable rival. Verizon's fiber-optic service led all competitors in scores for initial setup, speed, reliability, e-mail, technical support, repairs and likelihood to recommend to others. Read more...

So Much For Game 7

by Employee on ‎11-05-2009 02:32 PM

Game7Ok, so the Yankees beat the Phillies in the World Series. I'm Phillies fan, so last night's loss was tough, but I love the Yankees too, and if they had been playing anybody else... But even if you are a Mets fan, you have to admit that this was one of the most entertaining World Series in years - if there had been a Game 7, I would have been there! But as it was, I saw every game in HD on FiOS TV, and what a way to watch the series! Read more...

Widget Wednesday: New Games Added to Widget Bazaar

by Employee ‎11-04-2009 09:30 AM - edited ‎11-04-2009 09:33 AM

Widget Wednesday LogoChances are, when you hear the word "gamer" you may think of a late-teens or twenty-something guy immersed in a hard-hitting, multi-player game on $300 game console. But there's another universe of "casual gamers" - men, women and young people of all ages who spend a part of every day playing cards, doing puzzles and playing other simple games online, on their phones or on console systems like Xbox or Wii. Read more...

Dave Farber Discussion on PolicyBlogTV

by Employee ‎11-03-2009 12:17 PM - edited ‎11-03-2009 12:23 PM

mug.jpgNoted computer science professor Dr. David Farber recently discussed networks and net neutrality with Verizon's Link Hoewing and John Czwartacki. He was clear in calling for "principles" and monitoring, rather than net neutrality regulations, because of the complexity of the global network. Read more...

HD Popularity Grows

by Employee on ‎11-03-2009 09:25 AM

100HDWatching more HD? You're not alone. A recent study from Knowledge Networks called "How People Use HDTV 2009" found that high-def viewing has drastically increased in just the last two years. What a shocker, huh? But, in fact, the report shows that daily HD viewing has grown by 65 percent since 2007. In addition, approximately two-thirds of those surveyed said they "always make the effort" to watch a show in HD. Read more...

More About Media Manager for Macs

by Employee on ‎11-02-2009 03:54 PM

Media Manager Mac Logo.JPGAs I told you a couple of weeks ago, we've rolled out a Mac-compatible version of the My Music and My Photos features of our FiOS TV Media Manager service. Mac users can now use Media Manager to stream their personal photos and music from their Macs to their TVs. We're working on a My Videos feature for Macs too. Read more...

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements