Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Displaying articles for: December 2009

Verizon’s Investment in Leading Networks

by Employee ‎12-31-2009 10:35 AM - edited ‎12-31-2009 10:36 AM

man on tv.jpgWe talk here a lot about our products and services, but we probably don't talk enough about the networks they ride on. Verizon invested more than $17 billion this year in our wireless and wireline networks in the United States and internationally. These investments meant award-winning services and additional reliability and performance for our customers. But customers, whether they're large businesses or families, are using more and more bandwidth every year. So we're expanding our network capacity to meet this emerging customer demand for new services, and 2009 saw some significant milestones: Read more...

Widget Wednesday: Looking Back at 2009

by Employee ‎12-30-2009 11:11 AM - edited ‎12-30-2009 11:16 AM

Widget Wednesday LogoIt's the last Widget Wednesday of the year. Looking back, I'd say 2009 was "The Year of Interactivity" for FiOS TV. We now offer more than a dozen Widgets that integrate FiOS TV with the Web and let our customers interact with their TVs in a way that's unmatched by any competitor. It's hard to believe, but we introduced our first two Widgets - traffic and weather reports - back in mid-2006. Customers could check real-time weather and traffic information on their TV screens without interrupting their programming - on demand with one click of the remote. Cable had nothing like it. Read more...

Hooray for Bollywood

by ‎12-30-2009 09:35 AM - edited ‎12-30-2009 09:41 AM

bollywoodpostphotoThe film industry known as Bollywood is based in Mumbai, India, and fans around the world flock to the films, which typically include music, dancing and engaging love stories. Bollywood movies are found in select theaters across the United States, but FiOS TV customers can enjoy Bollywood right in their own living rooms through the FiOS TV video on demand library. From the main menu, go to VOD > Browse All > International > Bollywood. It's that easy. Read more...

FiOS TV’s Top 10 VOD Movies for 2009

by Employee ‎12-29-2009 10:31 AM - edited ‎12-29-2009 10:32 AM

popcorn.JPGYou want video on demand? We have it - more than 18,000 monthly titles in every market. With this much VOD, our customers have plenty to watch, but it shouldn't come as a surprise that they have their favorites. Here are the Top 10 movie selections on FiOS TV VOD for 2009. Any surprises? Read more...

Farewell

by Employee ‎12-28-2009 11:44 AM - edited ‎12-28-2009 11:46 AM

eric.JPGIt's hard to imagine that it was just six months ago that I first posted and we started the AtHome blog. That was on July 15 and now, as 2009 ends, we've posted more than 150 times, other writers have joined me, and more than 400 times you've posted your own comments back to us. By and large, we've been talking about Verizon services and products here, and almost always we've posted word of new announcements and developments here first. More than 585,000 times someone has checked out the AtHome blog since we started. Read more...

Happy Holidays

by Employee on ‎12-24-2009 09:05 AM

smallsnow.JPGHere on the Verizon AtHome Blog, we are wishing all of our readers a safe, relaxing and enjoyable holiday season. Read more...

Keeping Tradition Alive with Social TV

by Employee ‎12-23-2009 11:42 AM - edited ‎12-23-2009 11:43 AM

Widget Wednesday LogoI love the holidays, and every year I look forward to watching "Christmas Vacation" with my girlfriends. This year, however, we won't be able to make it happen. Normally, it wouldn't be a big deal, but this is a tradition I don't think I can let go. Am I supposed to laugh at the epic Cousin Eddie all by myself? No way. Thankfully, Verizon offers a Facebook Widget on FiOS TV -- a new way to stay social, without having to leave your couch. Read more...

Surf’s Up for Today’s Seniors

by Employee on ‎12-22-2009 10:48 AM

grandparents.JPGA recent study conducted by NielsenWire Online found that 17.5 million "seniors" or those 65+ are active Internet users, reflecting a 55 percent increase since 2004. The study also noted two more interesting facts: Seniors blog just a mere tenth of a point less than teens, and time online for this mature demographic increased 11 percent in the last five years. Read more...

Protect Yourself from the ‘876’ Fraud

by ‎12-21-2009 10:03 AM - edited ‎12-21-2009 10:30 AM

876.PNGIn our business, we see a wide range of Internet and phone scams that can impact our customers. One of the best defenses we've found is to arm people with information and tips for protecting themselves. You can always find helpful information on our Web site. And from time to time, we'll also talk about specific scams here at the Verizon At Home blog. The lottery/unclaimed funds fraud is a good example. Read more...

HD Is On Our Minds

by Employee on ‎12-18-2009 10:46 AM

girlTV.JPGAround here, HD is always on our minds, but perhaps more so at this time of year when many of us are making holiday-buying decisions. Buying one of those new HD TV sets? Verizon customer service reps are ready to tell you exactly what you'll need to get the best HD that FiOS has to offer, including a selection of HD set-top boxes. We offer everything from an HD set-top box to an HD DVR to our HD Home Media DVR, which lets subscribers record programming on one set and watch it on up to six other TV sets in the home. They can even pause recorded programming on one set and continue watching it on another. Read more...

moto.JPGWhen it comes to broadband leadership, Verizon's engineers are all over the latest developments and, in fact, are a driving force for advancement much of the time. A case in point: Verizon has successfully transmitted a 10 gigabit per second (Gbps) fiber-optic signal down a fiber cable in Massachusetts that was simultaneously transmitting a regular FiOS 2.4 Gbps signal. Read more...

Verizon Plans 1,000 Game Day Watching Parties. Want to Join the Fun?

by Employee ‎12-17-2009 09:09 AM - edited ‎12-17-2009 09:10 AM

football.jpgWhether you're a pro football fan or not, the "big game" in February is a great excuse to throw a party. I'm already planning mine, including how I'm going to show off the wonders of FiOS TV to my friends. Because where else but on FiOS can you see replays in stunning, pure HD while trash-talking onscreen through Twitter without missing a second of the game? If you have FiOS TV and you're also looking to party on Feb. 7, Verizon wants to help. We're looking for 1,000 FiOS TV subscribers to open their doors to friends and neighbors, inviting them to experience the big game in all its crystal clear, interactive glory. Read more...

NFLThursLogo.PNGIf Sunday night's Giants-Eagles game is any indication of what this week will bring, the next two games should be very interesting. And with two undefeated teams playing this Thursday and Saturday, we have a lot to look forward to. This Thursday night, I'll be glued to my couch, watching Peyton Manning's undefeated Colts take on the Jaguars on FiOS TV. And I've already told my wife not to make any plans for Saturday, when I can watch Drew Brees and the undefeated Saints take on the Cowboys. Both games will be on the NFL Network, which I can watch in HD, with the picture and sound quality that only FiOS can offer. Read more...

Widget Wednesday: This Just In With Verizon’s New AP Widget

by Employee ‎12-16-2009 12:18 PM - edited ‎12-16-2009 01:23 PM

Widget Wednesday LogoI'm a real "newsie." I've always had an insatiable appetite for news. If you're like me - or even if you just want to catch up with the day's headlines - you should check out the new AP Widget on FiOS TV, available this week. It's an expanded, interactive news feature from Verizon and Associated Press that's replacing our Headline News Widget. When you activate the AP Widget, you can scan a variety of types of news stories on one part of your screen, while keeping your TV show in view. Using the left/right arrows on the FiOS TV remote, you can choose from eight news categories: World, U.S., Business, Travel, Science & Technology, Health, Entertainment and Sports. Read more...

New Media Manager Features, in Time for the Holidays

by Employee ‎12-16-2009 10:24 AM - edited ‎12-16-2009 10:35 AM

MediaManagerLogo.PNGI love taking pictures. Especially around the holiday season, I find myself becoming especially "digital-camera happy" with the entire family in close quarters. That's where Media Manager comes in handy. I can use it to wirelessly stream my personal photos, music and videos from my PC or Mac to the TV. And we're adding some cool new features at no additional cost just in time for the holidays. They're available now to customers who run the Media Manager software on their PCs and will be available soon to Mac users. Read more...

Watch Internet Videos with FiOS TV

by Employee ‎12-15-2009 02:51 PM - edited ‎12-15-2009 03:42 PM

TVcouch.JPGDeloitte has done research showing that 65% of those asked would like to view Internet videos on their TV. Duh! What the heck is the matter with the other 35%? Of course, FiOS TV viewers have been able to do that since we announced the capability back in July. Better yet, there's no new TV or other equipment to buy with FiOS if you already have a FiOS TV DVR, which includes Media Manager service. Viewers just click on a menu and head for video-sharing sites Veoh, blip.tv and Dailymotion and start watching. Read more...

FiOS Keeps Family Running Smoothly

by Employee ‎12-15-2009 10:05 AM - edited ‎12-15-2009 10:24 AM

button_jill_berry.pngEvery day we hear customers say that once they experience FiOS, there's no going back. One of these customers is the Berry family from the Washington, D.C., area. There are three kids, a game-loving dad and a mom who's a well-known blogger. Jill Berry blogs at Musings from Me, where, among other things, she writes about her "TV addiction." Read on to see how she and her family also get the most out of FiOS Internet. Read more...

In-Home Agent Comes to FiOS TV

by Employee on ‎12-14-2009 03:31 PM

InHOmeAgent.PNGThe other night, I got an unfamiliar service code on my satellite TV screen (FiOS hasn't come to my neighborhood yet) ... something about the box not getting guide information for the past four hours. The procedure is to call for help and tell them the code. In 20 minutes time, most of it listening to music and movie pitches, I knew it meant the signal was out due to weather, and I still had to wait for it to clear. It doesn't have to be that way, at least for Verizon FiOS TV customers. Today, we've announced the progressive rollout of a new feature of our In-Home Agent self-help repertoire that's built right into the FiOS TV service. It lets you analyze television service problems and repair all but the most serious, all by yourself. Using the remote. Right from the couch. No phone call. No elevator music. No pitches for the next viewing of "Transformers." Read more...

gifts.JPGIf you're anything like me, you are already starting to feel holiday movie overload. I love "It's A Wonderful Life," but I can only watch George Bailey say "Hot Dog" so many times. So, I'm excited that I have some options this year with FiOS TV Video on Demand (VOD). Starting this weekend, we'll be showing a movie marathon from EPIX called "Eight Nights of Woody Allen." So, in the spirit of eight nights of potato latkes, gift giving and spinning the dreidel, this year's Hanukkah also includes eight nights of Woody Allen's most acclaimed films, including "Love & Death," "Interiors" and "The Purple Rose of Cairo." In addition to being available on demand, you'll also find EPIX on channel 395 (SD) and 895 (HD) and online. You can get all this and more, every month, for just $9.99. Read more...

FiOS TV On-Screen Caller ID

by Employee ‎12-10-2009 02:38 PM - edited ‎12-10-2009 02:40 PM

watchingTVatHome.JPGTo get up, or not to get up? Your TV show's getting to the good part. The phone rings. Do you answer? It's no dilemma with FiOS TV. With the new FiOS TV On-Screen Caller ID feature, you see who's calling with an alert right on the TV screen. The on-screen alert tells you when you are getting a call and gives you information about the caller so you can decide whether to take the call or simply let it go to voicemail. Details about this new service for FiOS TV and voice customers are here. Read more...

Verizon’s Commitment to DSL, Network and Customer Service

by ‎12-10-2009 09:58 AM - edited ‎12-10-2009 11:11 AM

typing hands.JPGOne of the most extensively deployed broadband services in the U.S. is Verizon's High Speed Internet (HSI) service. The fact is that, if you live in a place where Verizon offers phone service, chances are you can get our DSL-based High Speed Internet (HSI) service. We offer it to roughly 4 out of every 5 households we serve, and it's our most widely available form of broadband Internet service. Customers like it because it provides reliable speeds and great value - a definite plus in today's economy. This year alone, we've added HSI - with speeds of up to 1 megabits per second (Mbps) or 3 Mbps - to 161,000 more local phone lines. Read more...

A Blog Is Born! Check Out Our New Verizon Small Biz Blog

by Employee ‎12-09-2009 03:46 PM - edited ‎12-09-2009 03:50 PM

smbiz.JPGOver the last few months, here at the AtHome blog, we carried posts about some of our small business customers -- Audible Local Ledger, Stuart's Seafood and Lollybean. These are small companies that are leveraging Verizon broadband, phone and TV services to grow their businesses. Well, starting today, you'll see our new Verizon Small Biz blog. This new blog will be the place to go for small businesses news from Verizon. We'll look at services and market trends that affect a small company's bottom line. Additionally, Verizon experts from our small business group and other experts in this field will share tips and commentary. Read more...

Widget Wednesday: FiOS TV Adds NBA Widget

by Employee ‎12-09-2009 10:58 AM - edited ‎12-09-2009 11:00 AM

Widget Wednesday LogoEnjoying the basketball season? So are we, but we'll enjoy it even more with the new NBA League Pass Widget available in all markets on FiOS TV. This is the latest sports widget available with FiOS TV's Widget Bazaar. Click the NBA League Pass Widget and get easy access to NBA player news, scores, stats, conference standings and team rosters. It's a lot like our popular RedZone Widget for football fans. Subscribe to the NBA League Pass and the Widget also lets you set onscreen alerts for up to 10 teams with four different alert options: Start of Game, End of Quarter, Two minutes to End of Game, or Start of Overtime. Once the alert pops up, punch the remote to switch to the game. Read more...

Three years after FiOS TV in New Jersey

by Employee on ‎12-08-2009 03:20 PM

jersey.PNGIn December 2006, Verizon began deploying fiber optics in New Jersey to bring FiOS TV and all the great features that come with it to residents statewide. Now, three years later, Verizon FiOS is available in more New Jersey municipalities than are served by any other company offering subscription television. In fact, Verizon is actively building the FiOS system in dozens of communities and in major cities in other states including Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C. and New York City. The project continues to be the leading telecommunications development project in the United States. As we announced today, Verizon is now adding three more NJ municipalities to the FiOS TV roster: New Brunswick, in Middlesex County; Hamilton Township, in Atlantic County; and Middle Township, in Cape May County. That brings the number of New Jersey towns, cities and communities where FiOS is available to 348. Neither Comcast nor Cablevision serves so many. Read more...

Techlicious.PNGIn the spirit of the holiday season, Verizon has teamed up with tech expert, Suzanne Kantra, from techlicious.com, offering one of her lucky blog readers a Nikon 10.2 digital camera. Click on over to the giveaway to enter to win. Valued at $549, the Nikon camera makes capturing high-quality photos of your friends and family a breeze during the holidays. Between visiting my family in Ohio and going to holiday parties here at home, my own camera's memory stick soon will be reaching capacity. I'll be uploading to Facebook, Kodak Gallery, and of course sending photos by e-mail. At times like these I'm rocking my FiOS Internet 15 Meg upload for all its worth. In less time than it takes to eat one Christmas cookie -- that's about 20 seconds -- I can upload 40 photos. Read more...

Perking Up the Gift Giving Season for Verizon Customers

by ‎12-07-2009 09:45 AM - edited ‎12-07-2009 12:20 PM

VZPerks.PNG'Tis the season for gift buying, but for most of us, extending the gift-giving budget is a must. Now Verizon Perks can help. With Verizon Perks, customers have the opportunity to save money at retailers like Barnes & Noble, Bath & Body Works, Golfsmith, Lands' End, Kmart, and Macy's, and more than 30 restaurants and food establishments, including P.F. Chang's, Romano's Macaroni Grill, Roy's and Outback Steakhouse. Customers can purchase discount cards good at 60 popular retail outlets. Valued at $25, $50 and $100, the cards are offered at discounts -- usually 5 percent to 10 percent. Cards are distributed to customers within 10 days of purchase. (Shipping and handling charges apply in some cases.) Read more...

A Glimpse at the Future of Home Networks

by Employee ‎12-04-2009 05:40 PM - edited ‎12-04-2009 05:48 PM

Tushar.JPGJust back from our Webcast on home networking technologies, and the takeaway has to be unbridled excitement for what's ahead. Tushar Saxena, who's a home network expert, talked about a future in which we watch DVR recordings on any TV, handset and PC and access home media remotely from mobile phones. At the heart of it all, is a versatile home network that lets your home media communicate easily and seamlessly. Technology is amazing, but its seeds need fertile soil to grow in. Look at your wireless handsets; when the hardware and software become more powerful, you get things like the Droid riding a new operating system that makes great things possible. Read more...

FiOS in the City; It’s Been a Great Year

by Employee ‎12-03-2009 02:24 PM - edited ‎12-03-2009 02:44 PM

city.JPGWe'll remember 2009 for a lot of reasons. But one of the biggest is that we expanded FiOS to more customers in urban areas this year. Today's announcement that we are adding more FiOS homes in Pittsburgh is a good example. More than 1,600 additional households in parts of the city's Allentown, North Side and Squirrel Hill neighborhoods can now get our fiber-optic services. Pittsburghers have been quick to hop on the FiOS bandwagon. Since we first offered our FiOS TV in the city in September, thousands have moved to FiOS, in one of the most enthusiastic adoptions of the FiOS service we've seen. It's been gratifying to see how quickly consumers have taken advantage of the FiOS choice and advanced technology for TV service. Those new Pittsburgh households are atop the 67,000 households in more than 20 neighborhoods where FiOS has been available in the Steel City. And we'll keep expanding the service. We plan to add several thousand more Pittsburgh households this year. Read more...

Widget Wednesday LogoThere's always a lot of buzz about online shopping during the holidays. But, let's face it, shopping while lounging on the couch beats the heck out of fighting for a parking spot in the mall's garage, and so I like to use those home shopping channels. Now, bargain-hunters have a new way to shop on TV. Verizon has teamed up with HSN (once known as Home Shopping Network) to create a new HSN Shop by Remote® Widget for FiOS TV. And readers of the Verizon at Home blog are hearing about it first. Read more...

Logan.PNGThe other day, Jim Smith, who covers technology issues on the Verizon PR team, was trying to show friends a picture of baby Logan that he'd just taken with his cell phone. Trouble was, Jim wanted to show it on his plasma TV screen. I could have done that a couple of ways on my FiOS home network. But Jim's neighborhood doesn't have FiOS yet, and his TV provider only offers what most do - TV service and Internet service but with no real connection between the two. Read more...

FiOS TV Adds International Channels

by Employee on ‎12-01-2009 09:12 AM

greece bigger flag.JPGFiOS TV offers more than 500 channels, including at least 126 HD channels in every market. But, just as important for a lot of folks, is our line-up of international channels, and we're adding even more. FiOS TV offers programming in Chinese, Filipino, German, Hindi, Korean, Punjabi, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Vietnamese, plus other languages. And this week we're adding three new international channels to the lineup featuring Korean, Mandarin and Greek programming. This makes a total of 35 international channels covering 20 languages - something cable can't match. Read more...

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411