Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Displaying articles for: June 2011

FIOSonTV.jpg

In the past few months we’ve written a lot here about “product co-creation” – how Verizon directly engages with customers in several different ways as we envision, develop and roll out new products and services.

A great example is the continuous evolution of FiOS TV’s advanced operating system – known to many of you as the Interactive Media Guide (IMG).  Launched in 2007, the IMG continues to evolve, and we recently began delivering the ninth significant upgrade to the service.  Many of the new features of the latest version were the direct result of customer ideas, testing, and feedback.

Read more...

Six Degrees of Admiration: PCMag.com Readers Rate FiOS Internet Tops

by ‎06-29-2011 08:40 AM - edited ‎06-29-2011 08:53 AM

pcmag.JPGFor the sixth year in a row, Verizon’s FiOS Internet service has earned top billing from PCMag.com readers in its annual Reader’s Choice Award for Internet service providers.

Not only did FiOS Internet earn the highest overall rating, an 8.8 compared to the average 6.9 score in the survey, but Verizon’s flagship consumer broadband service also secured the highest satisfaction scores for speed, 8.8, reliability, 9.1, and the highest likelihood of being recommended, 9.0, out of a possible 10 points.

Read more...

Private Eyes, Public Eyes

by Employee on ‎06-24-2011 10:17 AM

weeklyroundup.jpgLast year we all got a big laugh when veteran actress Betty White joked in her Saturday Night Live hosting monologue that Facebook “sounds like a huge waste of time.”  After all, it was a Facebook campaign that landed her the hosting gig.

This week Facebook was no joke for a Cindy Lincoln in Florida.  She claims it saved her life.  Read this news story about how folding laundry led to a fall, which led to a broken femur, which led to Facebook to the rescue.  (I think maybe the real lesson here is it’s always a great idea to carry a cell phone with you when you’re home alone.)

Read more...

On the Go? Verizon Wi-Fi Goes with You

by on ‎06-22-2011 03:43 PM

verizonwifi.JPG

There are many benefits for being a Verizon customer from the Verizon Perks program to having the options in personalizing the bundle that is right for you, but did you know about Verizon Wi-Fi?

Verizon Wi-Fi lets qualified Verizon FiOS and High Speed Internet subscribers use their wireless-enabled laptops, tablets and netbooks to access the Internet at thousands of public places known as Wi-Fi hotspots. If you subscribe to High Speed Internet Enhanced or FiOS 15/5 Mbps service or higher, you qualify for the Verizon Wi-Fi service. 

Read more...

Big Screen or Broadband – Does TV Really Matter Anymore?

by Employee ‎06-20-2011 01:17 PM - edited ‎06-20-2011 01:33 PM

tv4.JPG

I was intrigued when I recently read that about 8%, or 9 million, of 114 million households across the country use over-the-air antennas as their exclusive TV viewing source, according to recent Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) research.

Of course, the vast majority of homes have a pay TV option – cable, satellite or telco TV services like Verizon FiOS. But others are opting for a third alternative, using a broadband connection for Internet-based video viewing.  A recent Cisco study says that video will account for half of all consumer Internet traffic by 2012.

The proliferation of viewing sites and devices for viewing has only begun to drive exponential growth in broadband demand. Netflix streaming video typifies this trend, and the recent announcement of Nintendo’s Wii U  further demonstrates that consumers expect to use more intuitive, bandwidth-hungry devices in tandem with their TVs.

Read more...

Better Living Through Technology

by Employee on ‎06-17-2011 02:24 PM

weekly_RoundUp_AtHome.jpgOne part of life that’s been significantly enhanced by technology in recent years is customer service.  Verizon is a big business that’s put the power of technology in customers’ hands to create a better service experience – like our online tool that lets you build your own bundle, our In-Home Agent self-service tool, the verizon.com/support and My Verizon portals and more.  This week the New York Times features some small businesses that are doing big things for customers through technology.  I especially liked that Great Clips has an online check-in option that lets you see how long the wait is at various locations.  Very cool!

Read more...

fiostv1.JPG

There has been a lot of talk at the Cable Show this week about long-range plans to develop better programming guides with advanced interactive apps for TV customers.

As the cable companies talk about new features coming sometime next year, Verizon is continuing the rollout of the ninth major upgrade of our Interactive Media Guide. In fact, you should think of the guide as an advanced operating system for FiOS TV, much like your computer’s OS.

Read more...

Show Your Dad or Grad Your Love with FiOS

by ‎06-15-2011 02:31 PM - edited ‎06-15-2011 03:25 PM

fios_gift.JPG

With the ongoing flurry of graduations and with Fathers Day (June 19) just days away, gadget gift shopping is in full swing, promising to put even more demand on home Internet connections.

Research indicates that the average American home has as many as five devices connected to its Internet service, and that number is expected to double over the next three years.  Of course, the best way to get the most out of those new Internet-dependent devices is to also give the dad or grad the fastest, most reliable Internet service – FiOS.

Read more...

Music Choice App Launches on FiOS TV

by Employee ‎06-14-2011 09:37 AM - edited ‎06-14-2011 12:04 PM

damonwilliams2.JPGEditor’s note: Today’s guest blogger is Damon Williams, VP Programming for Music Choice.

By Damon Williams

Couldn’t get tickets to see Lady Gaga or Lil Wayne? Not sure what summer concerts you want to attend? Well, now you can access a collection of the hottest videos instantaneously as a result of the music app we launched today for FiOS TV customers. Check out the latest and greatest videos of these two artists and many others all the time with Music Choice.

Read more...

Testing a New Service that Puts Your Home in Your Pocket

by on ‎06-13-2011 09:21 AM - last edited on ‎06-14-2011 12:07 PM by Employee

ann.JPGEditor’s Note: Guest blogger Ann Shaub is a director of product management at Verizon. A busy working mother, she helps lead the Verizon team working to bring Verizon’s new Home Monitoring and Control service to residential customers in 12 states and theDistrict of Columbia.

By: Ann Shaub

In the coming weeks, you’ll be hearing from some of the 50 Verizon employees testing our new Home Monitoring & Control service in their New Jersey homes. Apartments, single- and multiple-family homes, different home Internet speeds – we chose a wide variety of user scenarios to confirm real-world results.

Read more...

Games, Guitars and Going Green

by Employee ‎06-10-2011 02:38 PM - edited ‎06-10-2011 03:21 PM

weekly_roundup.jpg

The massive gaming conference, E3, was held this week in Los Angeles.  I’ve attended this show before and it’s a mostly-enjoyable assault to the senses.  CNN has a quick video that gives a taste of it all, for those of us who missed it this year.  Just remember, all you online gamers, that the speed, reliability and latency of the network you play on can be the difference between defeat and victory.

If you’re more into smartphone games than single shooters, check out Seth Schiesel’s New York Times story on what he considers the best games for phones, and the best phones for games.  

Read more...

tracy-mooney.jpg

Today’s guest blogger is Tracy Mooney, McAfee’s Chief Cyber Security Mom.  A mother of three, Tracy shares her insights about keeping families safe online.

By: Tracy Mooney

As we near the end of another school year, there’s been a lot of excitement around my household. I’m looking forward to spending more time with my kids, and the kids are counting the days until they are “free.” I quickly realized though that I’m once again going to compete for the kids’ attention. They will want to spend a big chunk of their day on the Internet instead of doing family activities.

Don’t get me wrong; the Internet will have a lot to offer them during their dog days of summer, such as discovering new games (I try to sneak in some educational ones too!), music, and whatever else they think to search for, all the while chatting with friends. With all of the fun times to look forward to, there are bad things lurking too, such as viruses and spyware in addition to inappropriate ads, videos, music and other adult content.

Read more...

Did You Know? June 8 is World IPv6 Day

by on ‎06-07-2011 06:00 PM

ipv6.png

If you’re not already wearing it, time to put your geek party hat on. After all, June 8 is World IPv6 Day and a global one-day event is taking place on the World Wide Web.

Many of you have probably heard of IPv6 by now and those with their hats on know that IPv6 stands for Internet Protocol version 6, the new Internet addressing system meant to succeed IPv4, the current addressing system that is running dry of addresses.

One obvious question: What ever happened to IPv5 and why didn’t it get its own day?  Turns out, number 5 – also called Internet Stream Protocol – was developed more than 30 years ago, but never caught on and was eventually left sitting on the side of the information superhighway.  

Read more...

fiosbundlefinal.JPG

Imagine being at a restaurant and asking  your waiter for a medium rare filet with a baked potato and  house salad, shocked to learn that the only way you can get what you want is if you also order broccoli and a Jell-O mold.  Otherwise, you have to order a New York strip to get those particular side orders…and it only comes medium well!

Over the years, some customers have said that ordering a bundle of FiOS services has been too limiting.  If you wanted, say, faster Internet speed or more TV channels, you still needed to move up to the next bundle tier – and up again to get even more broadband speed.

Read more...

Beer, Dropouts, Thieves … and the Wonders of the Milky Way

by Employee ‎06-03-2011 03:37 PM - edited ‎06-03-2011 03:38 PM

weekly_RoundUp_AtHome.jpgIt’s the graduation season again and college seniors are now casting their fates to a deflated job market.  The software developers and engineers among them might want to check out San Francisco-based start-up Hipster.  The local-destination-discovery online business is recruiting in a way sure to catch a frat boy’s eye -- $10,000 and a year’s supply of free beer for certain new recruits, or to those who refer candidates who get hired.  Let’s give Hipster an A for creativity, but perhaps an F for setting up youngsters for a drinking problem. 

Read more...

Innovation Isn’t ‘Either/Or’ in Today’s Digital World

by Employee ‎06-03-2011 12:57 PM - edited ‎06-03-2011 01:25 PM

comp.JPGAt a financial analyst conference in New York this week, Time Warner Cable’s CEO said that broadband is replacing TV as his company’s anchor product. 

Dow Jones reported that Time Warner’s new focus on broadband reflects its continued loss of TV customers to Verizon FiOS, at&t Uverse and satellite offerings, and that “the rise of web video has also led to concerns that consumers will drop traditional pay-TV subscriptions in favor of online alternatives.”   

This got me to thinking about how U.S.cable and telecom companies have changed, and continue to change.

Read more...

Starving for Social Context

by Employee ‎06-01-2011 04:49 PM - edited ‎06-02-2011 09:07 AM

krisfrazier.JPG

Editor’s Note: Guest blogger Kris Frazier has led partnership initiatives on FiOS TV, including establishing the User Experience framework for FiOS TV Widgets (NFL RedZone, Facebook, Twitter, HSN and others), channel portals for HBO, Starz, Showtime and launched the 2010 FiOS Football app for iPad as a companion experience to the NFL RedZone Channel.

By Kris Frazier

There are times I wonder, how connected is "too" connected?  While I'm sure the answer could point to a set of statistics, it may prove more worthy to identify "why" this is important.

Read more...

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411