2 week log-in for e-mail
jlhjlh1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have signed in for my e-mail 8 times in the last 9 days and each time indicated I wanted this to be for 2 weeks.  This has always been a problem with Verizon e-mail--not surprisingly since based on my billing experience with them they have trouble with numbers--but it seems to be getting worse.  Why can a 2 week log-in last 2 weeks?

0 Likes
Re: 2 week log-in for e-mail
prisaz
Legend

@jlhjlh wrote:

I have signed in for my e-mail 8 times in the last 9 days and each time indicated I wanted this to be for 2 weeks.  This has always been a problem with Verizon e-mail--not surprisingly since based on my billing experience with them they have trouble with numbers--but it seems to be getting worse.  Why can a 2 week log-in last 2 weeks?

If your browser has the security or privacy setting to clear cookies or temporary files on exit, you will not stay logged in. IE calls it Browsing history under Tools/Internet Options. There are also settings to control how long you wish to keep these files on your computer if they are not cleared on exit. Also how much space to use for them.

I always clear everything on exit. Leaving histories and private items such as cookies and temporary files, leaves you open to privacy concerns. Sense any good programmer can read most of the stuff stored there, by creating a crafty set of scripts and placing them on any web site. Those scripts can tell any new web site where you have been on the web and what you have looked at, among other items. I don't like leaving anything logged in. But that is just me. I like to close my browser when leaving any site that requires me to log in, and also anytime I wish to keep my history private.

0 Likes
Re: 2 week log-in for e-mail
Justin46
Legend

@prisaz wrote:

@jlhjlh wrote:

If your browser has the security or privacy setting to clear cookies or temporary files on exit, you will not stay logged in. IE calls it Browsing history under Tools/Internet Options. There are also settings to control how long you wish to keep these files on your computer if they are not cleared on exit. Also how much space to use for them.

I always clear everything on exit. Leaving histories and private items such as cookies and temporary files, leaves you open to privacy concerns. Sense any good programmer can read most of the stuff stored there, by creating a crafty set of scripts and placing them on any web site. Those scripts can tell any new web site where you have been on the web and what you have looked at, among other items. I don't like leaving anything logged in. But that is just me. I like to close my browser when leaving any site that requires me to log in, and also anytime I wish to keep my history private.

While in general I agree with what prisaz says, I am not quite so paranoid..... Smiley Very Happy

I use Firefox as my browser and an add-on for it called selectivecookiedelete. I have it set to keep all of the verizon.com cookies (along with some others) and I can definitely stay logged in for two weeks just fine. I believe that this is the cookie that makes that happen:

Note the name of the cookie includes "remember me", so I suppose if you try to just keep that cookie around it might fix your problem. And back when I created that cookie the expiration date was exactly 14 days later.

I don't know if this helps, but I am sure that your issue is related to your browser deleting cookies Verizon needs you to keep on your system for the 2-week logon to work.

Keller, TX 76248