Can I use Verizon "Your Domain" to Host or link my domain e-mail addresses?
Jayhawk66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anyone out there who can offer advice on this Verizon service?

I have existing email addresses on a domain I own (form:  Name@myfamily.com").  They are the ones I use most, since they existed for years before I began service with Verizon.  These are "third-party" emails at this point because when I first got highspeed internet, Verizon did not handle private domains.   I got a Verizon.net address at that time, which was necessary to access the internet, but I don't use it for much else.   Sometimes the third-party arrangement becomes a problem as Verizon makes changes to ports and such (most recently in October 2014). 

Recently I heard of "Verizon Your Domain."  Reading the info sheet that pops up when I search  the concept is described this way:

"...an easy way for individuals and businesses to link a set of [up to 9] personalized and permanent email addresses (e.g. you@your-name.com) with your verizon.net email accounts.  You are able to view and reply to your domain name email messages.....It also lets you create a website..."

Seemed perfect for me!  I don't use this domain for anything except e-mail, so why not set them up within the Verizon framework and avoid all the hassle of conflicts, security issues, and resetting ports?  All I should have to do is re-set the registration/provider/DNS info on the domain, kick that "third-party" to the curb, right?

Wrong!  No one I contacted at Verizon seems to know of this service.  They tell me "Your Domain" is just a way to hold on to my Verizon address if I want to leave Verizon.  No, they say - directly contradicting the info from their own site above - there is no way to have an address ending in anything but "verizon.net."

Does anybody know if this service still exists and who is knowledgeable about it? 

0 Likes
Re: Can I use Verizon "Your Domain" to Host or link my domain e-mail addresses?
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hello and good afternoon.

Thanks for reaching out regarding your trouble, we'd like to help.  You're right, the verbiage on that site implies that you will be able to link your third party email domain with your verizon.net account and have it hosted by us.  To clarify, you can create your own domain and if it is not already in use, you will be allowed to register and use it as your own. 

For example, you would be unable to use "myfamily.com" because it already belongs to someone else.  The exception to that would be if you own the domain "myfamily.com" and want to transfer it over.  **This does not refer to owning email addresses using the domain "myfamily.com".**

I hope this makes sense and if you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to reach back out via this forum post. 

To get started registering your own domain, go to:  http://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/fiosinternet/general+support/top+questions/quest... and click on Shop Verizon.  Click the red Order button at the bottom of the page followed by Order web hosting to establish my own web domain and website

Thank you,

~Eva

Re: Can I use Verizon "Your Domain" to Host or link my domain e-mail addresses?
Jayhawk66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Eva and thanks for your input.  I'm glad to hear that what I read online is correct.

Yes, earlier I did find the link you mention for ordering this service, but two things before I get to that stage:

1) You mentioned that "The exception to that would be if you own the domain "myfamily.com" and want to transfer it over."  Yes, that is my situation - I do own my own domain, and would be prepared to transfer it over to Verizon.  But the "order" link doesn't appear ready to handle that, and I might need to guidance on how to transfer the domain.

2) Before I commit, I do have a gouple of questions about how this works.   (For example: (1) By being within the Verizon net, will I avoid the problems I've occasionally had with third-party hosting, regarding changes to the ports I can use,  and (2) security and spam filtering is th same as would be applied to my verizon.net address?

For these two reasons I ask, is there someone I might speak to on these questions?  Should i for example call in to talk with folks who handle "third party" email, or can you answer these issues yourself?

Many thanks

0 Likes