Can't send FIOS/Yahoo e-mail using Thunderbird
nycityny1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've seen other posts about this but cannot find anything that helped.

I'm trying to set up Thunderbird to send e-mail using my new FIOS/Yahoo e-mail address which is xxxxx@verizon.net.  The ISP on the computer from which I am trying to send is Verizon FIOS.  I can receive e-mails in Thunderbird but cannot send.

I have tried both using SMTS outgoing.verizon.net and outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net.  For incoming I had to use incoming.yahoo.verizon.net and it works.

I've tried using Port 25 and Port 587.

I've input my username both with and without the @verizon.net

For "Secure Connection" I've tried all choices:  No, TLS, if available, TLS and SSL.

Whenever I try to send an e-mail it usually asks for my password twice and after inputting it the second time I get a version of this message:

The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server outgoing.verizon.net failed.  The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections.  Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.

Any advice?  Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't send FIOS/Yahoo e-mail using Thunderbird
nycityny1
Enthusiast - Level 1

@somegirl wrote:

1. Change your server to outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net - This is the correct outbound server for Verizon Yahoo accounts.

2. Make sure the setting for "outgoing server requires authentication" is selected. - It should auth with your vz username and password

If you are still having trouble, post the error. (The error you've posted here is for the wrong server.)

Well, I had already done those things before.  The message I got when I tried is:

An error occurred while sending mail.  The mail server responded: From address not verified - see http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/manage/sendfrom-07.html.  Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again.

@I had input the email address without the @verizon.net extension.  That's exactly how I input it in the pop3 set-up for receiving e-mail and it works there.

@so I went to the link that is referenced in the error message.  It basically had me go to my Yahoo mail account page.  I was directed to add an account with a different email address.  A verification code was then sent to me via email that I then had to input into the new account's setup page in order to activate my Yahoo mail for smtp use.  Once I input the code and validated I was then able to send e-mails just fine with Thunderbird.  I was able to use my @verizon.net email address and not the new account I had created.

Bottom line - I had to activate/validate my account before I could send email.  I had not read about this anywhere when trying to figure out what was wrong.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

1. Change your server to outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net - This is the correct outbound server for Verizon Yahoo accounts.

2. Make sure the setting for "outgoing server requires authentication" is selected. - It should auth with your vz username and password

If you are still having trouble, post the error. (The error you've posted here is for the wrong server.)

0 Likes
nycityny1
Enthusiast - Level 1

@somegirl wrote:

Well, I had already done those things before.  The message I got when I tried is:

An error occurred while sending mail.  The mail server responded: From address not verified - see http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/manage/sendfrom-07.html.  Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again.

@I had input the email address without the @verizon.net extension.  That's exactly how I input it in the pop3 set-up for receiving e-mail and it works there.

@so I went to the link that is referenced in the error message.  It basically had me go to my Yahoo mail account page.  I was directed to add an account with a different email address.  A verification code was then sent to me via email that I then had to input into the new account's setup page in order to activate my Yahoo mail for smtp use.  Once I input the code and validated I was then able to send e-mails just fine with Thunderbird.  I was able to use my @verizon.net email address and not the new account I had created.

Bottom line - I had to activate/validate my account before I could send email.  I had not read about this anywhere when trying to figure out what was wrong.

0 Likes