Can you block IP addresses as I am bombarded by spam and the spam filter doesn't help?
NYC-Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

The VZ spam filter is worthless and I am being bombarded daily by 25-30 spam emails. Is there a way to block partial IP addresses as they are constantly changing the last few digits?

Case in point, today some of the spam originated from:

0 Likes
Re: Can you block IP addresses as I am bombarded by spam and the spam filter doesn't help?
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@NYC-Guy wrote:

The VZ spam filter is worthless and I am being bombarded daily by 25-30 spam emails. Is there a way to block partial IP addresses as they are constantly changing the last few digits?

Case in point, today some of the spam originated from:

The short answer is no.

0 Likes
Re: Can you block IP addresses as I am bombarded by spam and the spam filter doesn't help?
NYC-Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually a nice answer would be that VZ doing something to improve their spam filters. There are constantly posts being made in this forum regarding the excessive spam people are receiving. The last time I spoke to a VZ tech support person about the spam their attitude was that VZ was not in the email business and an email account  was just an extra feature we received with FIOS. That approach is absurb as we are paying them for service!!!

VZ should be ashamed of the product they are offering and needs to take steps to give us a "real spam filter". In addition, we should be given the ability to block IP addresses.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@NYC-Guy wrote:

Actually a nice answer would be that VZ doing something to improve their spam filters. There are constantly posts being made in this forum regarding the excessive spam people are receiving. The last time I spoke to a VZ tech support person about the spam their attitude was that VZ was not in the email business and an email account  was just an extra feature we received with FIOS. That approach is absurb as we are paying them for service!!!

VZ should be ashamed of the product they are offering and needs to take steps to give us a "real spam filter". In addition, we should be given the ability to block IP addresses.

No argument here, but this is a peer-to-peer support forum. If you want to get a message to Verizon, you should contact them directly via one of the options on their Contact Us page.

We're just fellow end-users like yourself.

0 Likes
NYC-Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually I have seen the moderators on this forum escalate issues directly to VZ and the posters were told to check their PM's.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@NYC-Guy wrote:

Actually I have seen the moderators on this forum escalate issues directly to VZ and the posters were told to check their PM's.

Yes, in some cases where it's an account-related issue that the poster has already attempted to solve through normal channels. This, however, is not an account issue, and couldn't be solved by any escalation team.

Spam is an ongoing and pervasive issue that can only be solved by a complete overhaul of Verizon's filtering system, which they seem to have no intention of even attempting.

Best of luck to you, though.

0 Likes
TonyStompanado
Enthusiast - Level 1

I juderstand what you're trying to accomplish,

You were hoping to be able to cover any number combination of the last 3 numbers in the IP address, thereby blocking 146.220.44.###

Believe me, I have searched, and although formulas do exist to indeed accomplish this, you would have to own and configure a personal server.  That's not where most of us are, we're relying on our service provider.  If we wanted to be our own service provider we would have done that long ago.

I've had some pretty good luck with the following.

Create key filters under your VZ email settings.

The filters that I am currently using are:

If From Contains Postu delete

If From Contains posto delete

If From Contains poste delete

If From Contains posti delete

If From Contains posta delete

If From Contains DUDU delete

If From Contains ideel delete

If From Contains pertuttifuturistici delete

If From Contains futuristicmail delete

If From Contains Your daily revenue statement delete

If From Contains Hari Majumder delete

If From Contains .info delete

If From Contains live.com delete

If From Contains Wen® delete

Now I go weeks at a time before I get SPAM.

Every time I do get SPAM I modify or add another filter.

I have been working on these key filters for months, so it would be a shame not to share the work.

Your results may vary.  Happy Blocking

0 Likes
NYC-Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

In a perfect world I would be able to enter the IP address and simply put xxx after the last decimal point to block these spammers.

Your filter work around is something I would consider as a last resort short of finally cancelling my VZ email address.

NYC-Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

I tried setting up all of those filters without any success and my inbox is still being flooded with spam. Yesterday mornng  I was looking for new apps to play with for my iPhone and did a search for spam blockers in the App Store and discovered an app called SpamDrain which is cloud based and perfect for pop3 accounts like we have from VZ. I installed it and I can report it so far has blocked 100% of my daily spam!!!

All you have to do is either open your iPhone app and delete all of the spam emails with one click or login to their website and do the same thing.

I have a free 30 day trial and if I decide this is the solution there is an annual fee of $14.99 a year for 5 email addresses.

0 Likes
QBI

NYC-Guy,

Would be interested in an update on your satisfaction of the SpamDrain product; has it helped with your spam issues?  I am dealing with the same problem.

Thanks.

0 Likes