Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Contributor
HotToddy
Device: 2 iPhones and a Mac
Plan: Double Freedom
0 Kudos

E-Mail sending problems on my iPhone

When I try to send email from a particular mail account on my iPhone, I get a message that says: "Cannot Send Mail /  The connection to the outgoing server "smtp.amjdigital.com" failed. Additional Outgoing Mail Servers can be configured in Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars."

I tried re-establishing the mail account on the iPhone; but still can't send email.

I can send email using the account from another wifi source, though.

Any suggestions?

Gold Contributor I
lasagna
Plan: Prime HD 50/25

Re: E-Mail sending problems on my iPhone

Search for the topic "Alternate SMTP Port"  -- your configuration is likely trying to use port 25 to send outbound messages which is blocked on the Verizon network (there's a whole discussion on why this is the case and why it is a sound security policy, so I won't go into the details here).

You need to find out from your mail provider (amjdigital.com) if they have an "Alternate SMTP Port" for sending mail (this is sometimes port 587, but I've seen others as well -- and I did a quick check and the standard ports for the alternate don't seem to be active on that server).   If they look at you cross-eyed, ask them to have their security person take a look at why companies should be configuring an "Alternate SMTP Port" for sending mail.   It's pretty simple to do.   Once you have that information, you'll need to go into the advanced settings for the mail account and change the sending port number for SMTP outgoing mail to the port number they provide.

This change will work whether you are on the Verizon network or elsewhere.

Contributor
HotToddy
Device: 2 iPhones and a Mac
Plan: Double Freedom
0 Kudos

Thanks for this info!! Any idea why this would have become an issue only recently... originally there was no problem. Would the port have been changed at the business location?

Gold Contributor I
lasagna
Plan: Prime HD 50/25
0 Kudos

Within the past 3 months it changed at Verizon.

Really recently?  Perhaps it was configured to use an alternate port and for some reason the remote location turned off the port unknowingly (maybe a software upgrade or firewall change) or you reconfigured your mail account on your iPhone?

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411