Email Delivery Failure - Msg Size Exceeds Max
PVAN1

Diagnostic code: SMTP:552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum message size

Attachment includes pictures downloaded from a digital camera.  Each picture is attached as a jpg file specified as 3 MB.

There are four pictures on the email.

My wife says she was able to send such emails until I changed the email settings 12/15/2011 as requested by Verizon.

Otherwise, our email works.

Should JPEG files from a digital camera be that large?  Photos scanned into the computer are much smaller (approximately

2 or 3 KB) and can be emailed as attachments easily.   

0 Likes
Re: Email Delivery Failure - Msg Size Exceeds Max
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@PVAN wrote:

Diagnostic code: SMTP:552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum message size

Attachment includes pictures downloaded from a digital camera.  Each picture is attached as a jpg file specified as 3 MB.

There are four pictures on the email.

My wife says she was able to send such emails until I changed the email settings 12/15/2011 as requested by Verizon.

Otherwise, our email works.

Should JPEG files from a digital camera be that large?  Photos scanned into the computer are much smaller (approximately

2 or 3 KB) and can be emailed as attachments easily.   

The maximum message size is ~8 MB, so your pictures being 12 altogether is going to be too large. You can use an image editing program to optimize the images, or just email them in separate messages.

0 Likes
Re: Email Delivery Failure - Msg Size Exceeds Max
PVAN1

I'm not sure that 8MB is the maximum delivery size.  Subsequent discussion with my wife reveals that that she emailed

four such pictures as an attachment (i.e. 12MB) sucessfully to multiple friends.  However, she consistently had the

delivery failure with just one recipient.

On an email to multiple  destinations including the above, the following additional diagnostic info was returned:

552 5.3.4 a message  size of 20482 kilobytes exceeds the size limit of 20480 kilobytes computed for this transaction. 

0 Likes