Email not available in Europe Nov 18-20
Ama2014
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was unable to access my email in Europe this week. Now at home, contacted Verizon who said a hack attempt was made on the verizon email server, and they had to block all access of customers who were trying to access the email from outside the United States, for at least 3 days.  I am unhappy that I was simply denied access to email, and there was no attempt to notify customers that email was not accessible. I am not sure it is currently accessible. How can I depend on Verizon after this event?

0 Likes
Re: Email not available in Europe Nov 18-20
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus
0 Likes
FR9

Oh thats what happened? Because I have been trying to reach them in Europe as well but cant get an email. What email did you use?

0 Likes
adreg
Enthusiast - Level 1

Every time I am in Europe (generally 3 times a year) I cannot receive or send emails through my Verizon account.  All my accounts with other internet providers (Comcast, t-online, gmail, etc) work. This fact suggests that Verizon blocks all emails to and from Europe as a matter of policy.  It has nothing to do with hacking attempts or claiming that the problem is in Europe or that the problem is only temporary and will be fixed "shortly."  Why not be honest with your customers about this? I am tired of Verizon's excuses and am seriously considering cancelling my Verizon affiliation. 

@ElizabethS wrote:

This was posted two months ago:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Email-Account-Password-Lockout/td-p/744863

@ElizabethS wrote:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Email-Account-Password-Lockout/td-p/744863

kinonyc

I'm having exactly the same problem, and it's Dec. 2.  I can't access it on my phone or on my computer.  The only way I can access it is via webmail, which is totally impracticable if you are travelling, when it's often your only mode of communication with anyone, and you really need to see what comes in.   It was fine in June, when I was also travelling in Europe, but the current situation is a mess, and is seriously making me consider changing my ISP.   I see on an earlier issue like this that Verizon escalated this to an advisor, and marked the problem "solved."  Clearly, though, it is not solved.  Verizon, when are you going to fix this???!!!   

0 Likes
kinonyc

This is irrelevant.  My password meets your qualifications.  I have not been locked out of my account.  I simply can't download email and I'm clearly not the only person having this problem.  I write this Dec. 2 in Europe, UNABLE TO ACCESS THE EMAIL ACCOUNT THAT I PAY YOU FOR!   

0 Likes
DMLKL

We have had the same experience for the past 4 months.  They said it was due to security but there has been absolutely Zero follow up on when it will be resolved.  Normally Verizon is very pro-active and responsive.  The lack of information regarding this denied access and when it might be resolved has been frustrating.

Very disappointed customer

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

They think its resolved by blocking all email from outside the country.  Bad idea.

Their solution is :

"Additionally, we have implemented measures to prevent future unauthorized access attempts which may affect your ability to access your Verizon.net email from locations outside the U.S. If you experience difficulty reaching your Verizon.net email account, you can always access it online at mail.verizon.com or through the Verizon My FiOS app for mobile devices. For further information see the Verizon Webmail FAQs."

0 Likes
djb5
Contributor - Level 3

@ElizabethS wrote:

Given that this is not just a hiccup, but an ongoing situation for over 3 months, it seems to me that the appropriate notification should be a notice to all email subscribers that Verizon email is not accessible from overseas until further notice (or never, whatever the case may be).

I think it's deplorable that Verizon expects its customers to seek and find a forum to figure out why something doesn't work that always worked before and Verizon has committed to providing. OK Verizon - if you need to discontinue a service, fine! But just say so!

A Customer Forum should not be the first place for customers to find answers to their problems. I believe a provider of any service has an obligation to notify its customers when a key element of service is discontinued.  Like maybe a notice on our bills? A highlight statement on the very first Support Page here?  (and most especially in this case, where people traveling from place to place using mobile devices or various computers; not to mention the bizarre possibility of having to actually phone Verizon Support and be on the phone at $$$ rates for hours).

Yes, I know this is a customer forum and not a place to rant to Verizon. But I just can't help it when we get input here from Verizon representatives telling us how they've let all their customers know how to deal with this.

Wouldn't it be just great if people knew BEFORE leaving the country that they wouldn't have email access? (and, sorry, but when it happened to me, it wasn't even possible for me to connect from a computer at a hotel). Or at the very least, to be able to go to Verizon Support and see right up front an update saying that overseas email is currently (or no longer) available?  Just sayin'

0 Likes