Email server changes Effective Now!
prisaz
Legend

There have been a number of changes with the Verizon Email Server Names, POP Port address, and SMTP addresses.

Here is my new configuration with my Antivirus software. Your configuration may very.

Information from Verizon regarding the changes are found here. 

https://my.verizon.com/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=vzc_help_announcement&id=email_13_01...

If you make the change on your mail client to SSL, your antivirus software may not be able to examine encrypted mail. My Antivirus software provided a warning when it could not read the mail from my Outlook 2007 client.

So you may wish to let your AV software handle the encryption, and leave your client just with the standard port addresses, but the new server names, as mine is now set with Outlook 2007.

My configuration with outlook uses the normal ports to handle the mail with my Antivirus, and Avast handles the final outgoing ports numbers and encryption. POP is 995, SMTP is 465. Avast Antivirus handles the connections and examines the mail to and from the Verizon servers. My configuration is show below.

You can turn on SSL at your mail client but remember if there is encryption, where your Anti Virus software cannot examine your mail prior to it reaching your client, or leaving your client, you could be a risk. All my mail is set to use normal ports to the new servers, and my antivirus software actually handles the connections to and from the Verizon mail servers. Your configurations may very, depending on how your AV software handles mail.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Email server changes Effective Now!
PJL
Master - Level 3

I've been using the secure server configuration and Outlook for as long as I can remember with no problems.  The e-mail drafts are checked for viruses before they are sent in Outlook. 

Be aware that not all antivirus clients can be set to intercept SMTP/POP3 connections.  Microsoft Windows Defender scans e-mail properly because it know how to work with an e-mail client to scan before sending.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

I've been using the secure server configuration and Outlook for as long as I can remember with no problems.  The e-mail drafts are checked for viruses before they are sent in Outlook. 

Be aware that not all antivirus clients can be set to intercept SMTP/POP3 connections.  Microsoft Windows Defender scans e-mail properly because it know how to work with an e-mail client to scan before sending.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@PJL wrote:

Very true regarding email and antivirus software. Some software handles it properly, and some does not. I believe the big deal is the change in server names. I do not believe the new servers will let you use 110 or 25.

If your machine is clean, you should not be required to worry about outbound mail.Smiley LOL

0 Likes