How to Keep Old Verizon Email Address and Forward Messages When Switching Providers??
frank14921
Enthusiast - Level 2

Because Verizon DSL is not available over 3Mbps in my area, I am thinking of switching to Charter cable for phone and internet. This would mean cancelling my Verizon DSL and phone service though I would maintain my cell and 3G services with Verizon.

Here's what I want to do:

(1) Maintain my current verizon.net address.

(2) Automatically have any emails sent to my verizon.net address forwarded to my charter.net address.

What is the cheapest (or any) way to do this? For $19.95 a year Verizon will let you keep an email address "even if you change providers." If I save my current Verizon address with this service, and don't have DSL anymore, is there a way to have emails sent to this address forwarded to Charter even though I don't have a DSL or a phone account with Verizon?

Thanks for help!

Frank

Re: Auto Forwarding when Switching Providers
Hubrisnxs
Legend

charter I think has this as well, but Verizon has Trueswitch which will do exactly what you want.   its 20 bucks to move your info from one provider to another.   verizon offers its users this service for free, but it works to bring their email to verizon.   so to do it in reverse, either contact charter and see if they have a similiar tool, or just pay them to move over to charter.  

TrueSwitch makes changing your email accounts. We copy data to your new account, tell your contacts your new email address and forward emails sent to your old email address. Learn More

frank14921
Enthusiast - Level 2

Don't know if this will do it for me- and I haven't called Charter yet to see if they have a similar tool. Whatever, I use Thunderbird (Mozilla's equivalent to Outlook) so all my emails reside locally. When I go to Charter I should only have to change the incoming/outgoing server info and I will of course have a Charter email address. But my verizon.net address won't exist anymore. How would a tool like Trueswitch be able to forward  mail sent to a non-existent email address?  My original question was about how I could preserve my verizon.net email address as cheaply as possible, assuming forwarding can only occur from a valid address. Sorry if I'm still not understanding this very well.

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

You are correct, TrueSwitch would fail as soon as the Verizon account was disabled.

With Verizon Your Domain (the product you mentioned) you should maintain full access to your email account. This includes the ability to send, receive, forward, etc. So yes, you should be able to do exactly what you're trying to do with VYD.

frank14921
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you somegirl but I still have doubts. It appears to me that Verizon Your Domain simply lets you link aliases (other addresses with other domains) to your *primary* Verizon email address. I know it says you can keep the addresses even if you change providers, but here's where I get confused. I'd guess that you can't make one of the aliases your old primary account name e.g. xxxx@verizon.net even if you're still on the Verizon DSL service. So your Verizon address will still go away when you switch providers because the primary account address couldn't have been listed as an alias via VYD.

Do you know anybody that has successfully used VYD for my purpose? The absence of a lot of Google citations verifying you can do this makes me wonder.

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

You've got it backwards. VYD adds the domain aliases to your existing verizon.net mailbox. The verizon.net mailbox stays active by necessity.