Important Changes to Email POP/SMTP
Boltsfan2029
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got two e-mails saying POP and SMTP settings need to be changed to pop.verizon.net and smtp.verizon.net.

I'm paranoid so I looked under "Check Verizon Announcements" in My Verizon and there's nothing there about this.

Scam or legit?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Important Changes to Email POP/SMTP
Justin46
Legend

@Boltsfan2029 wrote:

Just got two e-mails saying POP and SMTP settings need to be changed to pop.verizon.net and smtp.verizon.net.

I'm paranoid so I looked under "Check Verizon Announcements" in My Verizon and there's nothing there about this.

Scam or legit?

Thanks!

You really can't find it there? Gee, I just looked:

And yes, it is legitimate. I changed mine months ago, work fine, and faster.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
InspectorT1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Gee, I just looked also. And there is NOTHING under announcements. I am highly suspicious of the email I received today, March 14.

The announcement Justin references is from January - the email is from today.

0 Likes
Tygrr

I looked it up per the instructions in the email, and this announcement is dated 1/29/2013!

So my question to the Admin/Verizon is why are we only getting it via email NOW?

0 Likes
Boltsfan2029
Enthusiast - Level 2

Justin, the notice you posted & highlighted is dated 1/29/2013.

Today, when I received the e-mails, is 3/14/2013.  So, no, I *really* can't find it there. Smiley Tongue

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Tygrr wrote:

I looked it up per the instructions in the email, and this announcement is dated 1/29/2013!

So my question to the Admin/Verizon is why are we only getting it via email NOW?

Verizon rarely rolls out changes to anything all at once, they stage a rollout, or they announce changes in such a way that the changes are made by very few at a time so if there are issues they can see them without affecting the entire customer population.

You are asking for Verizon to respond to your question? Almost certainly isn't going to happen, this is a user-helping-user forum. And your question does not require someone from Verizon to respond anyway IMO, you could have searched here and found multiple threads on this topic telling you it is legitimate, or you could believe what I told you, or you could believe the (only) 1 1/2 month old announcement, or you could just continue obliviously on until one day your email didn't work and then you would complain about that.

I suggest you just make the changes and move on, you will be much happier.

Keller, TX 76248

Boltsfan2029
Enthusiast - Level 2

Justin, is it really necessary to be so rude?

KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Just a reminder for everyone to be courteous to each other.  😉

lilhighway
Enthusiast - Level 3

lol@verizon changing the email settings,is this gonna help reduce spam? lol

0 Likes
troytyson

I made this update on my iPod, and now when I go to check my e-mail, I get the following message: "Cannot Get Mail The mail server "pop.verizon.net" is not responding.  Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings."

I was able to check my mail earlier today with no problem (before making the change).  The only settings I changed were "pop.verizon.net" in place of "incoming.verizon.net" and "smtp.verizon.net" in place of "outgoing.verizon.net"

Please advise.  Thank you.

0 Likes