Microsoft Outlook 2007 / Server does not support connection encryption type
tropicaldreamer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sporadically I get the following error when Outlook 2007 checks for new emails:

Task '<<my email address>>@verizon.net - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC1A) : 'Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.'

Sometimes this works perfectly, other times I get this error. I am using Outlook 2007 with current patches from Windows Update. (12.0.6691.5000) SP3 MSO (12.0.6721.5000) Obviously I have made the configuration change to enable SSL with pop.verizon.net back in 4/2015.

Any help would be greatly appreciated to solve this problem.

0 Likes
Re: Microsoft Outlook 2007 / Server does not support connection encryption type
silverado4x4
Contributor - Level 2

I have the same problem you have and I have outlook 2010. I get the error as soon as I go in but after the error comes up if I let it sit for 1 minute till it trys again it will work or if I hit the send/recieve button after the error it works. I havent figured it out yet.

0 Likes
mplihcik

I also have this problem. Do you still have this problem? Does anyone have a fix yet? Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
silverado4x4
Contributor - Level 2

I had the same problem for awhile and found it to be norton 360 spam filter, I turned it off and the problem is gone. I run outlook 2010.

0 Likes
mplihcik

Thanks for the help. I tried turning off Norton spam filter. That has cleared the problem.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
VZemailuser

Thanks for the mention of Norton antivirus and shutting it off. It pointed me to my solution while on hold with VZ customer support 🙂

First my problem:

My Outlook2007 client suddently stopped working...I kept getting an encryption error on sending and receiving.

Low and behold my Avast antivirus software registration expired within the last day or so. 

The solution:

Once I reregistered for Avast and restarted its virus protection, Outlook 2007 client started working again. I guess Avast is actually protecting my emails!

Again, thanks again for the heads up regarding looking at virus software as the culprit. In my case having it running corrected the problem (whereas shutting off Norton email scanning worked). Avast is amazing and it's free (no I don't work for them).

I hope this message helps save someone else hours online chatting and on the phone with VZ customer support.

ps. I knew I did not have the Microsoft patch KB980436 because I shut off automatic updates - don't want Windows 10 - not right now.

0 Likes