New email settings not working on my Mac
Bosun
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a Mac Mini running OSX 10.7.5 and Mac Mail 5.3. After receipt of each email from Verizon about changing my email settings, I did as I was told.

The first time I could not send or receive mail, so I went back to the old settings and everything was fine. The second time, I visited the forum, read all the posts about Apple Mac settings and tried again. I went step-by-step and restarted the machine as recommended. I could receive mail, but not send a test message after 15 minutes. Then I deleted entirely my mail settings, re-entered them as directed. Same thing happened, could receive mail, but I gave up after 20 minutes waiting for a test message to be sent. So, I went back to the old settings and everything works fine.

Yes, I restarted both my computer both times; yes, I carefully checked all the spelling, etc. as recommended in one post.

What makes this more frustrating is that my recently purchased iPhone has all the new Verizon email settings and I have no problem. So, I have a big problem since in addition to my Mac Mini, I also have an old Powerbook running OX 9 and a first gen iPad that may one day lose the ability for me to use Mac Mail. Am I left with having to use another email client because Verizon suggested changes do not play well with some Apple products?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New email settings not working on my Mac
Bosun
Enthusiast - Level 3

My last change worked! Sure wish Verizon would assemble all these things in one place with reference to the Keychain and the Advanced tab. Thanks to all those who helped and offered advice.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
sbreen

Have you had any replies to this message? I have exactly the same problem. New settings work fine on my newer Macbook Air but outgoing mail will not send on older Macbook Pro when setting is changed to smtp.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't have a MAC but several people have set up threads documenting the specifics needed to get the MAC to work.  The general Verizon instructions are at http://verizon.com/emailsettings .  It includes a troubleshooter that supposively works on Apple mail.

0 Likes
Bosun
Enthusiast - Level 3

No. Someone replied after you with directions to the Verizon 'plain vanilla' instructions and I may try those to see if they work. Not hopeful since Verizon has extremely poor Mac support.

0 Likes
Bosun
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks. I will try those again, but I think I used them earlier with the same poor results. The Verizon Troubleshooter only works with Microsoft OS.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Could you post a screenshot of your SMTP settings with any account information (username, password) obscured? Saying "I've done it right, and it doesn't work." doesn't give us much to go on. It would also help to know what error you are getting.

0 Likes
VJS2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having same problem on Mac mini running OS 10.6. Tech couldn't fix.

0 Likes
Bosun
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can I post those screen shots in a message to the forum?

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@Bosun wrote:

Can I post those screen shots in a message to the forum?

Yes. If you need help with how to insert the image, try this article:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/images2#images2 - Scroll down to How do I insert an image in a post?

0 Likes
Bosun
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here are my existing settings:

imageimage

0 Likes