POP & SMTP verizon email not working since 11/12
vanclover
Enthusiast - Level 2

Windows LiveMail & Outlook stopped working w/ my verizon email accts. several days ago. Settings are correct, have validated numerous times. Tried repairing Windows Live Essentials, etc. The only way I can get my verizon email is to use a web browser.

Tried disabling Bitdefender Total Security 2015 firewall & antivirus but no change. There's no virus or trojan on the laptop.

Tried pinging smtp.verizon.net and pop.verizon.net. Request timed out on both.

Windows Live Mail error:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Verizon (----) account. The connection to the server has failed.

Server: 'pop.verizon.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes
Socket Error: 10060

Thoughts?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: POP & SMTP verizon email not working since 11/12
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

From a Verizon network.  Or some other ISP.  Some are reporting problems from some other ISP because Verizon Shutdown Foreign ISP and some domestic ISP are being mistaken for foreign IP addresses.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

From a Verizon network.  Or some other ISP.  Some are reporting problems from some other ISP because Verizon Shutdown Foreign ISP and some domestic ISP are being mistaken for foreign IP addresses.

0 Likes
vanclover
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for this insight, I was not notified of this as a verizon customer. I will contact verizon.

0 Likes
encryption1
Enthusiast - Level 2

HOw was this solved?  Not explained.  Having similar problem.  Posted seperately request for help.

0 Likes
vanclover
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, the resolve for me was to change mail clients. Windows LiveMail, despite repairing Windows Essentials 2012 had hit the wall. I switched to Thunderbird which worked w/ my verizon mail accts. I also changed my Verizon web mail setting to save the sent mail on the server. Apparently that made a difference. Without that switched on my mail would not come into a mail client anymore. Despite everything working perfectly for years and no changes on my end (that I'm aware of). Also would not rule out a Windows Update that could have caused this, as they install automatically.

NYducati
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue where I am on the internet but the email Outlook 2013 stopped working. All settings, names and password have been checked multiple times and are correct.

Setting up an alternative client is not a viable solution in my mind.

Is there an internal Verizon email server issue? If so let us know so we can determine our best course of action

0 Likes
encryption1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much for your reply.  I will try the altering options on verizon webmail to save sent mail on verizon email server.  Probably big brother who wants to be able to see all your outgoing emails?  Verizon and Microsoft in bed with big brother what a surprise (not).  Anyway, nothing to hide and if it keeps the country safe, so be it.  Will report back on success / failure to get outlook back up.  I also would prefer to use Outlook over Thunderbird just because my contacts and all mailmerge with MS Office etc. easier.  I did go back and see that both Outlook and LiveMail were updated the day before the problem began so you and the techs at verizon may be right and it may be a Microsoft change that started the whole problem.  I did try to restore the computer to the day before the updates but it failed to rollback the changes.  I also went into Window Control Panel uninstall and tried to uninstall the updates individually and it would nt let me do it, they failed to uninstall.

0 Likes
encryption1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I thought it was a mail server issue, stayed on line with verizon support for two hours while they came onto my machine and tried to resolve the issue which cropped up out of no where and took input from three techs at verizon to determine to their satisfaction that the problem was with outlook and not verizon email server.  I still think something is a little hokey here.  I have not tried Thunderbird yet but that is my last resort as I like to manage my email on my machine and not on the webmail app.  I did go to the webmail app and make sure save outgoing email to server was on (on by default to my surprise).

0 Likes
encryption1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I installed and configured Thunderbird.  It works but it is not my optimal solution.  Hopefully Microsoft Outlook update which probably caused this problem in my case will be mysteriously updated again to fix the issue going forward so I can switch back.

NYducati
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, It looks as though my last windows update is when it started as well. We know the source, if only we knew the solution!!

0 Likes