Re: Port 25 Reconfigure
floplot
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi

I have Symantec System Works 12 Standard which includes Norton's Antivirus 2009 program. I've been to their Forum and they say they will only scan port 25 and 110 for emails.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@floplot wrote:

Hi

I have Symantec System Works 12 Standard which includes Norton's Antivirus 2009 program. I've been to their Forum and they say they will only scan port 25 and 110 for emails.

That software was is in beta, as noted on http://www.connectedinternet.co.uk/2009/07/13/symantec-launched-norton-antivirus-2010-trial/

If that software is still in beta, be strongly advised that it may still contain bugs / unstable.

If not in beta, good 🙂

When you are in it, what happens when you go to setting for your computer OR settings for your network?

The settings for your computer would be in the left / top box.

Please show a screen shot of each of those two areas.

0 Likes
floplot
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi

Norton's antivirus 2010 is out of beta now as of a couple of days ago, at least in the USA. Besides, I have system works 12 which is 2009, so I have Norton's Antivirus 2009. I don't use betas of anything if I can help it. You can only turn on email scanning or turn it off.. I only have one computer. If you change the port to 587, it will not scan the emails that are going out.. However the program is always scanning what is in your computer. What doesn't show is the visible sign of the scanning when not using 25. I use Outlook Express.

When you turn on Email Scan, Norton AntiVirus automatically configures your email program for protection against viruses and other security threats. You can configure Email Scan to scan all incoming email messages and outgoing email messages. By scanning incoming email messages, you protect your computer against the viruses that others send to you. By scanning outgoing email messages, you do not inadvertently transmit viruses or worms to others. This way, Norton AntiVirus protects your computer against any threats that you may receive or send in email attachments.

Norton AntiVirus supports all email programs that use either POP3 or SMTP communications protocol.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@floplot wrote:

Hi

Norton's antivirus 2010 is out of beta now as of a couple of days ago, at least in the USA. Besides, I have system works 12 which is 2009, so I have Norton's Antivirus 2009. I don't use betas of anything if I can help it. You can only turn on email scanning or turn it off.. I only have one computer. If you change the port to 587, it will not scan the emails that are going out.. However the program is always scanning what is in your computer. What doesn't show is the visible sign of the scanning when not using 25. I use Outlook Express.

Interesting..

I am saying you must change the port, but if you do.. Be sure to save any attachments to your hard drive, then have Norton scan them to be sure if they are safe - before opening any attachment(s).

Since you said you use OE (Outlook Express)...

#1 In OE, go to Tools -> Options -> Read.

#2 Make sure that, automaticlly download message when viewing in the preview pane is not checked.

Press ok/apply.

#2 To save the message: When you select message, go to File -> Save as.

#3 When viewing the message, to save it... Click on the icon that looks the one that you see in the screen shot and select save attachment..

http://i28.tinypic.com/v5xzy1.jpg

0 Likes
Port 25 reconfigure
KJ1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I use Outlook Express and Hot Mail via MSN.  When Verizon reconfigured my Outlook Express 6 two weeks ago to accommodate the Port 25 issue I discovered a problem.  When I delete messages in Outlook Express, they are no longer automatically being deleted on the MSN Hot Mail server.  Verizon already checked all the options in Outlook Express (we have been on the phone off & on all day today).  Does anyone have this problem or know what is going wrong.  They say it is a software issue, but everything was fine until they "fixed" me two weeks ago.  I don't want to have to go to the server and re-delete these messages, but I do want the others to live there also.  I think it is a communication problem.  Any suggestions???  Thanks so much to any one brilliant or knowledgeable enough to help me.

0 Likes
Re: Port 25 reconfigure
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

In OE, go to Tools -> Accounts.

Select your account, then go to Advanced.

Be sure that leave copy of mail on server is not checked.

Then, you need to go into your Hotmail account.

Any messages that you want to save, move them away from the inbox.

All other message, delete them.

For now on all messages will be downloaded, not left on the server.

---

Or if leave copy of mail on server is checked, you could also..

Select remove from server when deleted from "Deleted items".

There is another option, that will keep the mail on the server for a certain number of days. By default, unless you change it, 5 days.

Good luck.

0 Likes
KJ1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response.  I do want to leave my undeleted messages on the server so I can follow up away from home too.  I do have all the correct boxes checked.  Today at Staples, a technician told me it was because Verizon set me up using the pop 3 server instead of one of the other ones....which apparently I had before this port 25 issue.  He said the pop 3 doesn't allow my computer to send back the delete command to the server when I delete messages in Outlook Express.  I feel this is probably true because everything else is set up correctly.  Any thoughts?  It does seem like a communication issue, but I am surprised no one at Verizon knows about this.  Thanks so much!

Re: Question about changing port 25 to 587 yes or no
MikeFlannery
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know this is like beating a dead horse but... I am a network admin for a company. We have an exchange server and we have some employees that travel a lot and will occasionally log in from their home. I have a user that all the sudden has lost the ability to send email when using his outlook that has a pop3 email configured.

I called Verizon and the guy I spoke with, I don't think understood what I was asking, but he said something about changing the port from 25 to 587.

I am fairly certain that the problem that he is having is related to his Verizon ISP. I had him try to change the port to 587 but of course it didn't work. (I didn't think it would)

I guess I just don't quite understand who all needs to make the change, and when it needs to happen and why..

When he tries to send emails out he gets a message stating that the server was found and the service was interrupted or something.

Of course if I call VZW they say they don't support this stuff, they tell me to change the port but no one actually helps me. I thought that VZW had that huge groups of people there to help. At least on the TV commercials there are a ton of people willing to help. I guess that's only if you’re a mobile customer. If you have DSL you’re on your own. 🙂

Anyway if anyone can assist me with this I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: Question about changing port 25 to 587 yes or no
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Verizon's post about this change can be found here: http://www.verizon.net/port25

To summarize, you ONLY need to switch your settings to port 587 if ALL of the following apply:

1. You are using a Verizon-provided connection to reach the internet.

2. You are using any email address that is NOT @verizon.net

3. You are using a client, such as Outlook Express, to check your mail.

If all three of those apply to you, then switch. If they do not, then you do not have to.

Some excerpts from Verizon's  page:

Will outbound port 25 blocking apply to all Verizon broadband customers?

Outbound port 25 blocking will be applied to FIOS and High Speed Internet services that use dynamic IP addresses. If you subscribe to a static IP address service, you will not be affected.

Do I have a dynamic IP address?

If you have standard residential or business FIOS / High Speed Internet service, you have a dynamic IP address. Static IP packages are sold as an upgraded service.

Will I be impacted by port 25 blocking?

If you have a dynamic IP address and you use a third party email account to send email from a desktop client such as Outlook®, Outlook Express® or similar programs, you may be affected and should continue to read this notice. If you are using email provided as part of your VErizon service or a web-based email account from another provider, you will not be affected.

How do I determine if I am using a third party email account?

If your email address is not part of your Verizon FiOS or High Speed Internet Service, and it does NOT end with @verizon.net, you are using a third party account.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you were using a IMAP server, before verizon made these changes, change the mail client to connect to your IMAP mail server.

0 Likes