• Services  

Order Services

See All Plans & Bundles

Special Deals

Moving Made Easy

Current Customers

Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Find out which Verizon services are available at your address.

• My Verizon  

Email & Calls

Check Email

Verizon Visual 411

Bill & Payment

View Bill

Pay Bill

Pay Final Bill

Manage Auto Pay

Manage Paper Free Billing

My Services

Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

KaLin
0 Kudos

Port 25 HSI Emailing Issues

This is a collection of threads regarding the Port 25 emailing issue.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer that solved your issue as the accepted solution.

Contributor
gingerbread
0 Kudos

Port 25 Reconfigure

I'm so confused, I've read and reread the letter from Verizon explaining and I'm lost.  I don't know if I have to re-configure my Email Settings to send Email due to the outbound port 25 issue.

I have Verizon High Speed Internet and when I click on Help & Settings and About MSN it tells me I am using......

Operating System Windows XP (5.01.2600)

Internet Explorer 8.00.6001.18702

MSN Client 9.60.0053.2200

MSN Market en-us

MSN Brand MSN [VZ02]

MSN SKU Verizon Broadband with MSN Premium

Default E-mail Program Microsoft Outlook

Must I reconfigure? Please advise.

Gold Contributor VII
dslr595148
0 Kudos

Re: Port 25 Reconfigure

I will try to make it simple as I can.

If you are not on a business account, and only if you use another e-mail provider - you must change the port setting for sending e-mail.

This does not apply to any e-mail accounts that you send/recieve with your web browser.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Contributor
gingerbread
0 Kudos

I'm on a residence account, not business. 

I apologize, I'm terribly illiterate when it comes to this subject mainly because I don't understand the terms used.....

R U saying I do not need to reconfigure as long as I only use my MSN software to send/receive my email?  Is my Verizon with MSN software considered a "web browser?" 

Thank you in advance.          

Gold Contributor VII
dslr595148
0 Kudos

gingerbread wrote:

I'm on a residence account, not business. 

I apologize, I'm terribly illiterate when it comes to this subject mainly because I don't understand the terms used.....

R U saying I do not need to reconfigure as long as I only use my MSN software to send/receive my email?  Is my Verizon with MSN software considered a "web browser?" 

Thank you in advance.          

You are using a web browser to access a web server, in this case with message boards/forums.

The URL starts with HTTP to read/post on this forum.

A web browser using a URL to read e-mail can start with HTTP or HTTPs.

If you HTTP or HTTPS to send or receive e-mail, the port blocking does not apply to you.

-

Does thaty answer your question, yet?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Copper Contributor
floplot
0 Kudos

Hi

I am also confused with the port 25 change.I use outlook express and I use my verizon email address. I had changed the outgoing email port to port 587 when the notices first started coming out. It had been working fine. Today, I couldn't send out emails. I kept getting errors about my email was spam. Even the test emails to myself were stopped as spam and all it said was test. I called Verizon and the tech had me change the port back to 25 and now it works again..Another problem with using port 587 for email is now my antivirus program won't scan the emails because it isn't port 25 after I change it back to 587. They just came out with the 2010 version and it still will only scan port 25 for emails.

Gold Contributor VII
dslr595148
0 Kudos

floplot wrote:

Hi

I am also confused with the port 25 change.I use outlook express and I use my verizon email address. I had changed the outgoing email port to port 587 when the notices first started coming out. It had been working fine. Today, I couldn't send out emails. I kept getting errors about my email was spam. Even the test emails to myself were stopped as spam and all it said was test. I called Verizon and the tech had me change the port back to 25 and now it works again..Another problem with using port 587 for email is now my antivirus program won't scan the emails because it isn't port 25 after I change it back to 587. They just came out with the 2010 version and it still will only scan port 25 for emails.

#1 Then stay on port 25.

#2 What anti-virus program is it?

Copper Contributor
floplot
0 Kudos

Hi

I have Symantec System Works 12 Standard which includes Norton's Antivirus 2009 program. I've been to their Forum and they say they will only scan port 25 and 110 for emails.

Gold Contributor VII
dslr595148
0 Kudos

floplot wrote:

Hi

I have Symantec System Works 12 Standard which includes Norton's Antivirus 2009 program. I've been to their Forum and they say they will only scan port 25 and 110 for emails.

That software was is in beta, as noted on http://www.connectedinternet.co.uk/2009/07/13/symantec-launched-norton-antivirus-2010-trial/

If that software is still in beta, be strongly advised that it may still contain bugs / unstable.

If not in beta, good :smileyhappy:

When you are in it, what happens when you go to setting for your computer OR settings for your network?

The settings for your computer would be in the left / top box.

Please show a screen shot of each of those two areas.

Copper Contributor
floplot

Hi

Norton's antivirus 2010 is out of beta now as of a couple of days ago, at least in the USA. Besides, I have system works 12 which is 2009, so I have Norton's Antivirus 2009. I don't use betas of anything if I can help it. You can only turn on email scanning or turn it off.. I only have one computer. If you change the port to 587, it will not scan the emails that are going out.. However the program is always scanning what is in your computer. What doesn't show is the visible sign of the scanning when not using 25. I use Outlook Express.

When you turn on Email Scan, Norton AntiVirus automatically configures your email program for protection against viruses and other security threats. You can configure Email Scan to scan all incoming email messages and outgoing email messages. By scanning incoming email messages, you protect your computer against the viruses that others send to you. By scanning outgoing email messages, you do not inadvertently transmit viruses or worms to others. This way, Norton AntiVirus protects your computer against any threats that you may receive or send in email attachments.

Norton AntiVirus supports all email programs that use either POP3 or SMTP communications protocol.

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411