Searching Email with Muliple Terms, Boolean Logic
2Infinity

In verizon webmail, is there a way to search the subject or sender using multiple terms and with boolean logic? e.g., to search for "Tom" AND "Jerry"?  "Bob" NOT "Carol"?  "Jack OR "Jane"?  Verizon says their search is "enhanced by google," but doesn't appear to be so.

0 Likes
Re: Searching Email with Muliple Terms, Boolean Logic
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@2Infinity wrote:

In verizon webmail, is there a way to search the subject or sender using multiple terms and with boolean logic? e.g., to search for "Tom" AND "Jerry"?  "Bob" NOT "Carol"?  "Jack OR "Jane"?  Verizon says their search is "enhanced by google," but doesn't appear to be so.

With some quick poking around, the search appears to have some basic similarity to Google's search.

"Tom" AND "Jerry" = Tom Jerry

Search is inclusive by default. Just type both terms in the search box, and that should get you results with both.

"Bob" NOT "Carol" = Bob -Carol

The "not" condition is specified with a minus sign (-).

"Jack OR "Jane" = ???

Couldn't find a way to do this one in webmail, but I'll come back and let you know if I find a way...

0 Likes
2Infinity

Tnx for the info but unfortunately the Google search options do not work in verizon email search. E.g., I get the same results using either "Verizon Notification" or "Verizon -Notification" - i.e., email sender search ignored the "Not" google logic function. (note: only using quotation marks in this post, and not in the actual search text box.) 

I was hoping to use the logical "OR" in the search email tool(?!?) to do manual spam filtering so that effectively circumvent the limit of 50 filtering terms. e.g., manual search on "replacement OR dating OR loan OR deal OR.......":)

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@2Infinity wrote:

Tnx for the info but unfortunately the Google search options do not work in verizon email search. E.g., I get the same results using either "Verizon Notification" or "Verizon -Notification" - i.e., email sender search ignored the "Not" google logic function. (note: only using quotation marks in this post, and not in the actual search text box.) 

I was hoping to use the logical "OR" in the search email tool(?!?) to do manual spam filtering so that effectively circumvent the limit of 50 filtering terms. e.g., manual search on "replacement OR dating OR loan OR deal OR.......":)

The - seems to be working for me for email searches, but it's important to note that this only works for searching your email. The Filters do not use the same logic.

If you'd like, you can vote for the idea in the Idea Exchange that I posted quite some time (over two years) ago. It's requesting exactly the functionality you are looking for. Verizon doesn't seem particularly interested in the idea, but maybe more votes would help.

Idea Exchange: Allow More than One Condition When Creating an Email Filter

0 Likes