Secure Verizon Email
Holly1
Contributor - Level 3

When several of us complained on this forum a few months ago that Verizon email was not secure (no https just http), we were told by someone on this forum who works for Verizon that it would be changed to secure some time in May of this year (2011). What has happened as I see no change?

Holly

Re: Secure Verizon Email
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Two months ago in our "Meet the Experts" post they said it would be later this year. Where did you see a posting saying it would be available in May?

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Lorena-Mcallister-Message-Center/Is-Verizon-Email-Encrypted/td-p/296799

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@Anthony_VZ wrote:

Two months ago in our "Meet the Experts" post they said it would be later this year. Where did you see a posting saying it would be available in May?

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Lorena-Mcallister-Message-Center/Is-Verizon-Email-Encrypted/td-p/296799

I was able to find this thread in the Idea Exchange, posted 11-02-2010, with a response stating that "We are currently implementing SSL. We expect to be done over the coming weeks." Note that the thread is titiled "Please deploy full SSL" not "Please put secure stuff on some pages for some of the time." 

I'm sure this isn't the thread referred to, as it says nothing about May and was posted seven months ago, but I'm pretty sure "the coming weeks" shouldn't mean seven months and counting. I seem to recall something about May, but I haven't been able to locate that particular thread. Hopefully the OP has a link...

Techman28
Master - Level 1

I'm going to shed some light on this.

I know on the pop side of things its becoming a bit more secure

Yahoo Portal customers will have the normal ports

pop3 ssl 995

smtp: ssl 465

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Techman28 wrote:

I'm going to shed some light on this.

I know on the pop side of things its becoming a bit more secure

Yahoo Portal customers will have the normal ports

pop3 ssl 995

smtp: ssl 465

Are you saying this is already available or that that is what it will be when it does become available?

Keller, TX 76248

Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

This only effects pop servers and not the website.

In addition to changing the servers, you must also check the box that states: "This server requires an encrypted connected (SSL)" for both POP3 and SMTP.

The new ports are active. The mandatory swich for pop off the default servers will not be until later.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Anthony_VZ wrote:

This only effects pop servers and not the website.

In addition to changing the servers, you must also check the box that states: "This server requires an encrypted connected (SSL)" for both POP3 and SMTP.

The new ports are active. The mandatory swich for pop off the default servers will not be until later.

Thanks Anthony. I have changed my definitions and it seems to work.

Keller, TX 76248

Re: Secure Verizon Email STILL NOT
KIAC
Enthusiast - Level 3
MUMs the woid from VZE tech.  Aint nutin gowan on but the billing of us sheeple.
SSL Report: mail.verizon.com (206.46.232.15)
Assessed on:  Tue Jun 21 19:23:05 UTC 2011 |
Assessment failed: Unable to connect to server

Common Error Messages

• Connect timed out - server did not respond to our connection request
  • No route to host - unable to reach the server
  • Unable to connect to server - failed to connect to the server
  • Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext connection? - the server responded with plain-text HTTP on HTTPS port

Known Issues

• Could not generate DH keypair - due to a known problem with the underlying SSL library (Sun's JSSE implementation) we are unable to assess the sites that only offer DHE handshakes stronger than 1024 bits.

SSL Report v1.0.83

Summary Overall Rating
A

The scores are explained in the SSL Server Rating Guide 2009.
This server is vulnerable to MITM attacks because it supports renegotiation (more info here).
Details

Miscellaneous Test date Tue Jun 21 19:32:12 UTC 2011
Test duration 29.283 seconds Server signature Apache Server hostname -
Session resumption Yes Renegotiation Insecure Renegotiation Supported INSECURE
Strict Transport Security No
TLS Version Tolerance 0x0304: 0x301; 0x0399: 0x301; 0x0499: fail
PCI compliant Yes FIPS-ready No Ephemeral DH 1024 bits (p: 128, g: 1, Ys: 128)