Spam detector has some REAL ISSUES
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am at a total loss as to why Verizon can deliver me an email from an outside entity without any issue but when I then subsequently need to forward that email, with no modifications or additions, to my wife the outgoing mail server rejects it as spam.

I actually wonder what they base this decision on as the email in question is a reminder from my bank to us me that it is time to make a payment on our home equity line of credit.  I then wonder how many other important, to me, documents the so called spam detector is deleting on the inbound side and not bothering to notify me of

Forwarding the so called spam to 'spamdetector.update@verizon.net' as Verizon suggests has no effect as it still is rejecting 4 hours later..

Is there anything I can include in my forwarded message that will indicate to the so called spam detector that the single message I am sending to a single adressee is NOT spam.

0 Likes
Re: Spam detector has some REAL ISSUES
jogar2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having a similar problem. Someone sent me a message (a personally authored message, not a forward), and I simply replied "LOL" to it. Verizon marked it as spam. Over the past three days I've forwarded it to spamdetector.update seven times, and it is *still* being marked as spam. What's the deal?

0 Likes
jogar2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there any other address I can forward my alleged "spam" to besides spamdetector.update? I've sent it to them about 15 times so far and  they're still rejecting it. I would like to get this escalated because it's really annoying.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Artorios_Rex wrote:

Is there any other address I can forward my alleged "spam" to besides spamdetector.update? I've sent it to them about 15 times so far and  they're still rejecting it. I would like to get this escalated because it's really annoying.

I see many complaints about the same thing in one of the stickies at the start of this board, and also one of the message has a workaround, pretty stupid really.

Copy the whole message you want to forward and paste it into a new message in web mail and send it, Voila it works  !!!

Wonder why you can send it from web mail using your VZ email id but can't send it from outlook/oe using the same sender address. 

Guess Verizon software is under the impression that nobody would DARE to send SPAM from webmail

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

send it from outlook to www.isnotspam.com (they have an email on their site) and they analyze and tell you what is setting off red flags.   then you can adjust.  there is usually something extra that outlook is sending that is causing the redflag.  maybe a sig file or something similiar.    let us know what the results are 

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

send it from outlook to www.isnotspam.com (they have an email on their site) and they analyze and tell you what is setting off red flags.   then you can adjust.  there is usually something extra that outlook is sending that is causing the redflag.  maybe a sig file or something similiar.    let us know what the results are 

The only problem with that as a solution is that you CANNOT send it to them from outlook as the VZ outgoing spam filter rejects it as spam.

However I will try it using the web mail work around and see what it thinks is wrong.

OK, I sent it via webmail to check@isnotspam.com and it returned to me

==========================================================

Summary of Results

==========================================================

SPF Check : pass

Sender-ID Check : neutral

DomainKeys Check : neutral

DKIM Check : neutral

SpamAssassin Check : ham

As far as I can understand from the results it determined that my email was innocuous which is what I have been saying all along and from the complaints I've read here exactly what other users with the same issue are saying..

Might be nice for Verizon to tell us what it thinks are wrong with the emails

This is what my message flagged as spam said

----message----

This is an Alert to help manage your account ending in XXXX 

We received your recent payment of ($ USD) $1,500.00.

Log on to chase.com to see your payment history (https://chaseonline.chase.com/Logon.aspx?LOB=HETRANHIST).

To see all of the Alerts available to you, please log on to chase.com.(https://chaseonline.chase.com/Logon.aspx?LOB=SHOWSUBSCRIBEALERTS)

To reply to this Alert, please send a secure message from your Inbox on chase.com.(http://www.chase.com)

Sincerely,

Chase Home Lending

----end message----

Makes no sense.  If I copy that message text from here into a new message it goes ok.  If I copy the same stuff from the original message it rejects as spam.  It's as if there is something in the text formatting tjhat it's objecting to.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

There are a lot of reasons that outlook would be detected as spam, and verizon webmail would be just fine.  

maybe take a look at this thread for some ideas, and search suggestions.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I looked at that thread. I se NOTHING there that makes any valid suggestion as to why the VZ outgoing servers are seeing my mail as spam. I see lots of suggestions about recipient's spam filters detecting it as such and can understand that. I also see comments regarding a user's own spam filter detecting it as spam, but I see nothing that would cover the situation under discussion here. In fact the previous link you sent which I tested with the so called spam indicated to be nothing like spam. Can you maybe highlight something in this link that you think covers the situation that's outlined in this thread.

I'd send you one of the offending documents via PM so you can play with it then maybe you can see what the issue is, I have a gmail account and can send via that server with no issues and the VZ inbound filter apparently runs different criteria to the outbound filter.  However I can't send via PM as it doesn't allow me to choose my outbound mail server.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The previous link isnotspam.com would only work if you could send them the email from outlook.  If you can't do that then it won't make a difference for your situation.  We already know webmail will send, so that will give us a positive report when you send from webmail.

You might need to use an alternate email address (gmail, yahoo) that will let you send it to them since the vz one blocks even that.

The email has to go to them whole, "as it is" when it is blocked, in order to get an accurate report.  When you send it through webmail - you strip all of the outlook headers and footers and signatures and templates and things that may be setting off the spam filter.

Verizon's  Spam filter is the same Spam filter that is used by 9 of the top 12 U.S. ISPs out there.  The filters are what you need to be concerned with. Unfortunately, no spam company posts their red flags, because then spammers would know and adjust to get around them.  makes for quite the catch 22.

It's obvious that the content is not the issue, since pure content (minus all of your outlook info) is going through just fine using webmail. 

It's likely a header or a signature file that you are using in outlook, maybe even a background template or design that is causing the red flag.   When you look up info on it, you should use the search term 'avoid spam red flags' in any search engine.  See if your email has anything consistent with the suggestions from a search like that. 

Hubrisnxs
Legend

quick question - when you are forwarding email does that email have any pictures that are unneccessary, sometimes pictures set off spam filters too.   

0 Likes