Strange notes from Postmaster@verizon.net
MikeTheRunner

A few days ago I started to get about 20 strange messages from: Postmaster@Verizon.net.  The subject is: Delivery Notification: Delivery has failed.  The message goes on to indicated an email sent by my account to random people I don't know was not deliverable becaus the address does not exist.  The itmestamp indicates the original messages were sent at a time when my computer was turned off.

I checked and my sent folder does not contain these messages, virus scan by Verizon tools and Norton indicates my machine does not have a virus.

Has someone been spoofing my email name and sent messages to random people?  When the messages hit an unknown account I get the error at my in-box??

Can anyone help me understand what's going on???  Sample message with my email name removed appears below.

This report relates to a message you sent with the following header fields:

Message-id: <0LMK00DFGQHD3Z00@vms173017.mailsrvcs.net>

Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 20:24:47 +0800

To: {edited for privacy}

Subject: hellosahuli

Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

Recipient address: {edited for privacy}

Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address

Diagnostic code: smtp;550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try the recipient's email address for typos or spaces. Learn more at http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6596 s3si3563033

Remote system: dns;gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com (TCP|206.46.173.17|52709|74.125.65.27|25) (mx.google.com ESMTP s3si3563033yhn.71)

0 Likes
Re: Strange notes from Postmaster@verizon.net
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

What e-mail client are you using?

0 Likes
Re: Strange notes from Postmaster@verizon.net
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

nds to me like your account has been hacked and someone's been using it to send dictionary spam. Change your password, secret answer, and run a virus scan. It's better to be safe than sorry.