• BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Contributor
MikeTheRunner
0 Kudos

Strange notes from Postmaster@verizon.net

[ Edited ]

A few days ago I started to get about 20 strange messages from: Postmaster@Verizon.net.  The subject is: Delivery Notification: Delivery has failed.  The message goes on to indicated an email sent by my account to random people I don't know was not deliverable becaus the address does not exist.  The itmestamp indicates the original messages were sent at a time when my computer was turned off.

I checked and my sent folder does not contain these messages, virus scan by Verizon tools and Norton indicates my machine does not have a virus.

Has someone been spoofing my email name and sent messages to random people?  When the messages hit an unknown account I get the error at my in-box??

Can anyone help me understand what's going on???  Sample message with my email name removed appears below.

This report relates to a message you sent with the following header fields:

Message-id: <0LMK00DFGQHD3Z00@vms173017.mailsrvcs.net>

Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 20:24:47 +0800

To: {edited for privacy}

Subject: hellosahuli

Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

Recipient address: {edited for privacy}

Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address

Diagnostic code: smtp;550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try the recipient's email address for typos or spaces. Learn more at http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6596 s3si3563033

Remote system: dns;gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com (TCP|206.46.173.17|52709|74.125.65.27|25) (mx.google.com ESMTP s3si3563033yhn.71)

MVP
dslr595148
0 Kudos

Re: Strange notes from Postmaster@verizon.net

What e-mail client are you using?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Gold Contributor V
somegirl

Re: Strange notes from Postmaster@verizon.net

nds to me like your account has been hacked and someone's been using it to send dictionary spam. Change your password, secret answer, and run a virus scan. It's better to be safe than sorry.

--
If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.

"All knowledge is worth having."

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools