Third party E-mail settings
jacksullva1

I use work e-mail from home where I use Verizon FIOS for internet connectivity. I've been having problems sending e-mails recently from my work domain. I'm trying to find the most current third party e-mail settings I should use in my Outlook program to be able to send and receive work e-mails on my work domain.

All FAQs I see related to this subject are dated back in 2009. Is that info still correct or is there new information we should be using for third party e-mail accounts. I'm trying to verify not only ports to be used but also proper setup to send e-mail through FIOS on my work domain. Thank you!

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Third party E-mail settings
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Try this link:

www.verizon.com/emailsettings

It should give you the latest settings for incoming and outgoing email.

Note:  The settings, Port 995, etc., are the same whether you use Verizon's SMTP server or a 3rd party's server.

If those settings don't function with your work server, you might get with your IT department to see if they can tell you what the problem is.

0 Likes
jacksullva1

Just tried changes recommended.

POP 3 Port 995 does not work at all and neither does SMTP port 465.

But POP 3 port 110 works and SMTP port 587 works. What does that mean?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

If your work SMTP server requires and accepts port 587, has that solved your problem?

I'm using several different servers and using port 995 for POP3 and port 465 for STMP on all of them but I mispoke earlier when I said you'd have to use those ports regardless of the servers you're using.  If your company's SMTP server requires port 587...so be it.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jacksullva wrote:

Just tried changes recommended.

POP 3 Port 995 does not work at all and neither does SMTP port 465.

But POP 3 port 110 works and SMTP port 587 works. What does that mean?

And you are sure you had SSL settings set?

SSL is requried for the ports and clear text passwords.

And you didn't specify what software.  Some. such as Pegasus and Eudora, fail because cram-MD5 is advertised as supported when IT IS NOT.  Its true that the entire industry is moving away from cram-MD5 and recommending SSL instead, but it should not be advertised when not supported.  For these it is necessary, as a work around, to make sure cram-MD5  is not used and plain text is used.

0 Likes
jacksullva1

TNS 2 - I did specify "Outlook" as the program in question in my original post. I'm using the 2010 version. My question has to do with a third party e-mail not Verizon.net. My settings for the third party e-mail haven't changed but something else apparently did.

I'm looking for the best way to setup my my e-mail account info on my laptop (in Outlook) which travels a lot so that it will always work from home or from my office, a hotel or anywhere else where I have a network internet connection. I do not want to have to change settings everytime I log on from a different location. Since I'm not always sending mail over FIOS, I'm looking for the correct setup that will work with any network internet connection AND FIOS. I can use my domain SMTP and POP3 settings everywhere right now except from home and my FIOS network. Thanks for any suggestions!    Jack 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

As I said the fact that 110 seems to work and 995 doesn't PROBABLY mean you haven't turned SSL on in Outlook (lots of version of Outlook by the way). 

The step by steps are described for various version of Outlook on pages off http://verizon.com/emailsettings

The settings are the same in any case and summarized as

Outgoing server smpt.verizon.net 465 SSL plain text password required

Incoming server pop.verizon.net 465 SSL plain text password required

And of course it still may be restrictions by your Employer.  e.g. my former company blocked ALL email they could except using their EMAIl.   They had to under the law as they were required to keep  copies of all emails to be presented in case of Government enquires.

0 Likes