Unable to reach POP server from Brighthouse cable since Sept 18
FL-jayhawk
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same problem as many have posted about, only difference is this is from 

Brighthouse network. I, too, have had several hours of phone and remote sessions
with Verizon Tech support and some calls that were dropped while transferring me
to someone else. I am contract IT support for a small business that is about to
drop me because of this.

Enough of that ... the key part, I think, is that from the main PC at our office
that using the verizon.net email account that was working fine for almost a year
since we moved away from Verizon DSL to Brighthouse cable (and signed up for
Verizon Your Domain to keep that 10 year old email account, ) stopped working on
Sept 18 early a.m. We were using Thunderbird, but acts same with Outlook. If I
connect this PC to the internet through my Verizon smartphone as a hotspot, it
works ok. Or if I try the same from my home where I have Verizon FIOS, it's ok.
I have many other steps performed that add evidence that we are being blocked
access to POP and SMTP since Sept 18 from Brighthouse cable network.

I tried going to verizon whitelist webpage to submit a request (to unblock our
IP, suggested suggested by others on this list), but neither of the 2 choices are
accurate description of our situation, so I tried to submit to both. One
wouldn't let me submit because it required some info we don't have and I did what
I could in the 45 word description of our problem, but have not heard from them.
I sent an email to abuse@verizon.net a week ago and have no response there, also.

I am hoping someone here can link me in with someone who can help.

As soon as I post this, I'm going to try phone Verizon tech support again, but I cringe at the
thought.

Thanks all for listening, it's just amazing that this has effected so many for so
long. Thanks 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unable to reach POP server from Brighthouse cable since Sept 18
FL-jayhawk
Enthusiast - Level 1

SOLVED:
I called tech support again ... after total of approximately 45 minutes on hold intermixed with 2 brief human interactions each ending in transfers I arrived at someone who could (and did) help.  Whitelist/unblock my IP address re-established POP/SMTP service. 

It has been suggested multiple times on this forum (for my symptoms in previous post) to request that your IP address be unblocked or whitelisted, ask the tech support person to send such a request to the email team.  Can't really provide anything more specific than this, no magic phone number to call or secret email address to submit to. 

Thanks to Verizon techs who made it happen and to those on this forum who suggested it. 

One wish that I'll offer to Verizon is to create a carefully crafted script added to the first level tech support scripts that would identify candidates quickly for possible IP address issue, this would help greatly both Verizon on multiple levels and their customers alike.

Over and out, a finally relieved jayhawk in Florida

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Unable to reach POP server from Brighthouse cable since Sept 18
FL-jayhawk
Enthusiast - Level 1

SOLVED:
I called tech support again ... after total of approximately 45 minutes on hold intermixed with 2 brief human interactions each ending in transfers I arrived at someone who could (and did) help.  Whitelist/unblock my IP address re-established POP/SMTP service. 

It has been suggested multiple times on this forum (for my symptoms in previous post) to request that your IP address be unblocked or whitelisted, ask the tech support person to send such a request to the email team.  Can't really provide anything more specific than this, no magic phone number to call or secret email address to submit to. 

Thanks to Verizon techs who made it happen and to those on this forum who suggested it. 

One wish that I'll offer to Verizon is to create a carefully crafted script added to the first level tech support scripts that would identify candidates quickly for possible IP address issue, this would help greatly both Verizon on multiple levels and their customers alike.

Over and out, a finally relieved jayhawk in Florida

0 Likes