What passwords will a Verizon e-mail account accept?
mdcatdad
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm a new FiOS Internet customer and I saw that e-mail passwords have to be at least 6 characters, including one letter and one number. OK, so I can't use the password I used on my old account.

But when I  chose a password composed of an English word plus two numbers it was rejected as too easy to guess.

Then I chose one composed of a foreign word plus numbers. It, too, was rejected for the same reason!

(At this point I want to mention that I once saw network correspondent John Roberts at a computer equipped with a password-cracking program and it guessed his password in a few seconds, and the password was "konnichi-wa" ("Good morning" in Japanese).

Still, my 2nd rejected choice should have been as unguessable as my final choice (which I won't hint at here)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What passwords will a Verizon e-mail account accept?
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

This is from Verizon's Help page:

Password change tips

• Your password should be case-sensitive.
  • Use a combination of at least six numbers and letters.
  • Don't use your user name in any form (e.g., spelled backwards or with a number added to the beginning or end).
  • Avoid using a single word, from any language, with a number added to the beginning or end.
  • Your password cannot include such characters as /, #, *, or a blank space.
  • Please allow up to one hour for your password change to take effect.
Also:

It cannot be too simple. (passw0rd, abc123, etc.) - These are FAR too easy to guess.

It cannot contain your username or your first or last name as they appear in Verizon's system. (This means that if Verizon has your name as J Smith instead of John Smith, then your password can't have a 'j' in it!)

Hope this helps! If I remember/stumble across any other rules I'll let you know.

View solution in original post

prisaz
Legend

@mdcatdad wrote:

I'm a new FiOS Internet customer and I saw that e-mail passwords have to be at least 6 characters, including one letter and one number. OK, so I can't use the password I used on my old account.

But when I  chose a password composed of an English word plus two numbers it was rejected as too easy to guess.

Then I chose one composed of a foreign word plus numbers. It, too, was rejected for the same reason!

(At this point I want to mention that I once saw network correspondent John Roberts at a computer equipped with a password-cracking program and it guessed his password in a few seconds, and the password was "konnichi-wa" ("Good morning" in Japanese).

Still, my 2nd rejected choice should have been as unguessable as my final choice (which I won't hint at here)

I use a phrase. Mine has 12 characters. Include One Uppercase letter at least and at least one number. Perhaps it should say one upper case letter. Password are case sensitive so using upple and lower case makes it more secure. If you use a phrase all lumped together it will not be found as a dictionary word and will be easier to remember. Throw an uppcase and number in there and you should be good.

0 Likes
mdcatdad
Enthusiast - Level 3

What I was looking for is some hint of the rules that Verizon's password manager uses.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

This is from Verizon's Help page:

Password change tips

• Your password should be case-sensitive.
  • Use a combination of at least six numbers and letters.
  • Don't use your user name in any form (e.g., spelled backwards or with a number added to the beginning or end).
  • Avoid using a single word, from any language, with a number added to the beginning or end.
  • Your password cannot include such characters as /, #, *, or a blank space.
  • Please allow up to one hour for your password change to take effect.
Also:

It cannot be too simple. (passw0rd, abc123, etc.) - These are FAR too easy to guess.

It cannot contain your username or your first or last name as they appear in Verizon's system. (This means that if Verizon has your name as J Smith instead of John Smith, then your password can't have a 'j' in it!)

Hope this helps! If I remember/stumble across any other rules I'll let you know.

mdcatdad
Enthusiast - Level 3

That must have been it: "Avoid using a single word, from any language, with a number added to the beginning or end".

Even a Russian word (transliterated of course) plus numbers was rejected.

It seems that "Your password cannot include such characters as /, #, *, or a blank space." would

provide more security but I suppose those characters are used in commands and thus might confuse Verizon.

Thanks

0 Likes