Re: Why is Verizon limiting Spam Filter to only 50 entrees?
daisy01

I also have been getting between 20 to 40 spam emails per day on my Verizon.net email account during the last several months, So far I've added 26 key word and symbol filters to catch spam emails and keep them from getting into my inbox. To my suprise almost all the spam emails have no "To" address listed in the "Show Details" link. And in the body of the "View Source" tab my email address is not listed anywhere. How can I be receiving emails that are not even addressed to me???? Verizon could possibly block emails that have no "To" field filled in very easily. Why don't they just do it instead of placing the burden on their customers. I will have to call the 1-800-number this week and ask one of their support people this very question. I don't want to believe that Verizon allows spammers through their system because of possibile financial gain via pay-per-click sales via responding to spam offers. On a similar note, I don't recieve any snail-mail in my home mail box unless it has my address on it. 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@daisy01 wrote:

,,,. How can I be receiving emails that are not even addressed to me???? Verizon could possibly block emails that have no "To" field filled in very easily. ...

If you ever looked at how addressing is handled for the SMTP protocol you would discover its all completely outside of anything you view.  All the addressing stuff is done first  (MAIL and RCPT commands) and then a copy of the mail(DATA command).  Of course good mail software than gives you pretty TO and CC lines although BCC are not shown even with them.

0 Likes
gerryl1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tried that - called what Verizon facetiosly calls "Customer Service" to ask why sending spams to the spam not detected address is useless, and why the spam filters do not work.  Got some kid in India who did not have a clue about what I was talking about.  His suggestion - change your password!

Does anyone have any recommendations for other e-mail providers who do a better job of protecting us from spam?  I would be willing to give up the FIOS speed for better e-mail service.  Perhaps if enough of us do, Verizon just might wake up.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@gerryl wrote:

Tried that - called what Verizon facetiosly calls "Customer Service" to ask why sending spams to the spam not detected address is useless, and why the spam filters do not work.  Got some kid in India who did not have a clue about what I was talking about.  His suggestion - change your password!

Does anyone have any recommendations for other e-mail providers who do a better job of protecting us from spam?  I would be willing to give up the FIOS speed for better e-mail service.  Perhaps if enough of us do, Verizon just might wake up.

Gmail. No ISP change required.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually a lot of the ISP do worse and some have absolutely no spam filter.  Its left for the individual to handle their spam.

Some of the EMAIL sites not associated with ISP's, e.g. Gmail, are considered to  have the better anti-spam checking.

0 Likes
daisy01

Update on previous post. I called Verizon's 1-800-837-4966 support number and discussed the spam issue with them. No help from them in resolving their inability to block spam. I was told to just keep adding filters so they wouldn't get into my inbox and that the number of spam emails might be reduced over time. Sorry, problem not solved. I filed a complaint against Verizon with the Federal Trade Commission about their spam policy and I'm also forwarding all the un-caught spam to them with a note stating Verizon' s inability to solve this issue on their own. I advise everyone reading this to do the same. Maybe this is the only way Verizon will wake up and resolve this problem. I also see that today someone posted a complaint on another issue in the forums that Verizon has blocked all access to their email system from over seas. Maybe this is a start to them adderssing this issue.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Note I always forward spam to the FTC spam address

spam@uce.gov

But don't expect the FTC to be interested in your compaint against Verizon.  Verizon need not even have to supply a anti-spam filter let alone one that works better.  Also the spam filter is not a Verizon product but a seperate vendor that Verizon contracts out to.  At one time it worked fairly well, but the spammers are getting better and better at doing their thing.

0 Likes
mystiky
Enthusiast - Level 1

During the last 3 days, I am getting 90% spam.  For what-ever reason.  Probably it will change back to 40-50 each day as it has been the norm the last few months.

Going back to my original topic of limiting the keywords to 50.

Does anyone have any corporate contacts to get in touch directly with regard of increasing the FILTER limit to 500+ entrees?

I have tried pleading with Level 2/3 Verizon tech support and they are just powerless.

There is just NO EXCUSE to limit us to how many keywords we want to enter.  Some of you said that Verizon offers it (and the general spam filter) out of courtesy.  Really?  Okay, so it's like creating a video game and allowing someone to have only 2 profiles. How difficult is it to increase the limit to 20 profiles?  The fact is that programmers at Verizon ALREADY implemented the option to have keyword filters.  Now, all that is just left is to increase the buffer/storage for more keywords to be held in the bank.  We are not asking for a completely new feature to be implemented.

Or is someone is going to reply & say here that:

1)  That will require more storage space for Verizon, therefore costing them money  <<<-- Really???

2)  That will slow down incoming email   <<<---- I don't mind waiting an extra milisecond or two for that, do you??

I would hate to know that we are all trying in vain to be able to help ourselves to monitor and control incoming spam into our OWN account, for which we PAY for.

Please give us some emails to write directly to.

Thank you all again!

0 Likes
daisy01

According to the Federal Government’s Securities & Exchange Commission web site, www.sec.gov Verizon’s corporate address is listed as:

Verizon Corporate Office Headquarters

140 West Street

New York City, NY 10007

No email address is listed, of course not, maybe they would consider customer complaint emails as spam.

Verizon’s CEO is listed as Lowell McAdam

{please keep it relevant}

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@mystiky wrote:

Going back to my original topic of limiting the keywords to 50.

Does anyone have any corporate contacts to get in touch directly with regard of increasing the FILTER limit to 500+ entrees?

I have tried pleading with Level 2/3 Verizon tech support and they are just powerless.

I hope you get your contact information, but I'm going to go ahead and tell you it won't change anything. Verizon is not going to change the limit, just like they refuse to increase the number of Blocked Senders list entries, or offer IMAP.

0 Likes