new email settings for Mac Mail & 3rd party...
heybeachnik

Anyone have instructions for new email port settings for users who are:

-Using Mac Mail

-Using third mail email service provider (i.e., not sending and receiving through a Verizon address)

Thanks,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Pardon me while I rant (I'm hoping a Verizon employee reads this)...

I use my third party email account exclusively. It's listed on my verizon account page. So, does verizon do the logical thing and send announcements to my third party email address (?) - of course not, they send them to the verizon address which I have never once used in years.

New port settings for some email users...

I got a phone call from an automated Verizon attendant telling me to check the following for new port settings for some email users:

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/HighSpeed/Email/Setup+And+Use/QuestionsOne/124333.htm

I guess Verizon hasn't heard that there are millions of people using Mac computers, with Mac Mail as their email clients. And, some of these users are using obscure third party email service providers with names like 'Google'. On the above linked page, there are no instructions for these users.

I tried to use the online live support feature to get a clarification about using the new port settings. A polite gentleman with a long Indian name told me he couldn't help me and gave me an 800 number to call. After calling the 800 number, a nice lady in the Philippines (on a terrible voice connection) told me she couldn't help me - she transferred me to another department where I waited and waited and waited. I finally had to hang up.

I'm beginning to think that Verizon is a division of the United States Postal Service. Come to think of it, I get much better service from the USPS than I get from Verizon.

0 Likes
Verizon won't remember password for Mac email
Linda45

Just got a MacBook Pro. Setting up and actually using email is fine. But despite doing everything right and having the techs at the Apple store do it over, I keep having to log in to the email and give my password again, even if I'm in the middle of writing email. Guys at Apple said Verizon can't handle the speed of Mac's email. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a fix? It's very annoying, and I never know if sent email is going through because Verizon is cutting out. I do not have a problem with internet use (Safari).  

0 Likes
Re: Verizon won't remember password for Mac email
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Are you using the Mac Mail client or Verizon's netmail?

Linda45

Verizon netmail

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

The Basic version of Verizon's netmail has a pretty short timeout limit. It's a "security feature" to keep someone else from getting into your email. The timeout in the Rich version seems to be much longer and/or non-existent. Have you tried switching?

0 Likes
Linda45

I don't know what the Rich version is. What is it?

Also, I did not have this problem with my PC laptop for the past four years, and still don't. And my husband's desktop doesn't have the problem. It only occurred this week, since I brought home the new Macbook Pro, and only happens on that computer. I also live in two houses, My other house is in a very rural area. While I haven't tried the computer their yet, I don't have many options other than Verizon. (Some people have to use Hughesnet, because they can't even get Verizon where they live.

So I'm hesitant to switch to anything in NJ, when I have to also try it in Maryland. And it can't just be netmail, because my other two computers are fine. In fact, I had a hard time remembering my password, because I didn't use it in years. 

0 Likes
Re: new email settings for Mac Mail & 3rd party...
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@heybeachnik wrote:

I guess Verizon hasn't heard that there are millions of people using Mac computers, with Mac Mail as their email clients. And, some of these users are using obscure third party email service providers with names like 'Google'. On the above linked page, there are no instructions for these users.

You answered your own question. Verizon does not support 3rd party systems. If it works, great! If it doesnt work, Verizon couldnt care less. It's not their product, therefore it is up to you to figure it out. Officially they have no idea how those other companies do things and will refer you to the third party, since it is the third parties system that you are trying to get working. If you were having problems with a Verizon email. Then Verizon could help. But Verizon is not Google, and while some of their employee's may personally know what to do (they probably use it too), they are not trained on it and have no idea how to set it up.

Besides, I followed the link that you posted and there are instructions for mac mail. There are 4 sets of instructions. Outlook, outlook express, thunderbird, and Entourage (mac mail)

0 Likes
heybeachnik

@spacedebris...

Sorry, but I don't think it's too pedantic to clarify that 'Entourage' is NOT 'Mac Mail'. Just because Verizon parenthetically lists 'Mac Mail' after 'Entourage' doesn't make them the same thing.

And, when Verizon writes a set of instructions with a topic head that reads:

Configure Entourage (Mac Mail) to use port 587 for sending email

and then follows with instructions like:

'Open Entourage, select the Tools menu'

and

'In the Override default SMTP port: field enter 587, then select OK.'

...the instructions are of little use to many Mac users. The above is not the vernacular used in Apple's Mac Mail (Mac Mail doesn't have 'tools', Mac Mail has no section titled 'Override default SMTP port')

There are probably far more Mac users who are using the Apple program called 'Mail' who haven't a clue about the Microsoft program called 'Entourage'.

Verizon does realize that people are using third party email - that's why they published instructions for Mac users who are using Entourage. Verizon thinks these little details are important enough that they published instructions for various users - they just didn't bother to publish instructions for Mac users who are using 'Mail'.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

You may find the following items helpful, though they are intended to help set up Verizon accounts, not 3rd party accounts:
Mac OS X Mail

AppleMail™

Verizon provides resources for setting up Verizon email accounts in pop3 clients. The location for the settings is typically the same. If you need additional help setting up a 3rd party email address, you might check the 3rd party's support, since they're providing the email service, or with Apple, since they are providing the email client.

Alternatively, you can tell us which 3rd party email service you are using, and someone on the forums might be able to give you more specific instructions.

0 Likes
Email Password
franksgr

I have a Mac computer with Microsoft Entourage and Mozilla Thunderbird email programs.  On both of these, I cannot access my Verizon email.  I get an error message that says "(AUTH) Authentication failed.  Your username/password or security settings may be incorrect".  Why can't I access my email in either of these programs????

0 Likes