Re: problems sending email - what authentication is needed??
blue444

thanks tlb, the Mac fix worked, and was easy.

Eudora lives!

0 Likes
gsi
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you (MarlonB & Paradise5) for providing the information needed to correct the Eudora problem caused by Verizon.

One can only hope that such intellegence will one day arise in the Verizon tech support cubicle farms.

0 Likes
DSimoneaux
Enthusiast - Level 1

After a couple of days of searching to find a solution to my problem I located this post from jfadden that nailed it. Thanks much.

I had had intermittent problems in the past with authentication failure when attempting to send e-mail via the Verizon SMTP servers, but trying a second or third time usually resulted in successful transmission. It had been many months since I experienced this problem, and I had sent 50 or more messages Thursday, July 31, and the morning of Friday, August 1, 2014. However, starting about noon CDT Friday, August 1, I was unable to send messages no matter how many times I retried. An extended online chat with Verizon tech support failed to resolve the issue, but they really do not support Eudora and don't know a lot about how it works.

Finally, this afternoon I found the support page (http://eudora.com/techsupport/kb/1428hq.html) to turn on verbose logging by adding the following two lines to the end of the eudora.ini file.

[Debug]

LogLevel=127

Looking at the log after a failed attempt to send a message, I found the following lines

12052    32: 4.48 Sent: "AUTH CRAM-MD5\r\n"
12052    64: 4.48 Rcvd: "334 PDM1NzMyNTEyMzAuMTQ2MDE5MzNAdm1zMTczMDIxPg==\r\n"
12052    32: 4.48 Sent: "c2V0b24uc2NoZWR1bGVyIGU0NmJhMzM0OWQ1MzA1YWUyMjEzNGJhYzYxNmFlMzcx\r\n"
12052    64: 4.48 Rcvd: "500 5.7.0 Unknown AUTH error -1 (Internal authentication error).\r\n"

So apparently all the Verizon SMTP servers I've been connecting to started advertising the unsupported CRAM MD-5 protocol, and Eudora was trying to use it.

Thanks to this message thread, I solved the problem by adding the following lines in the [Settings] section of eudora.ini.

;Following line needed for Verizon SMTP mail sending
SMTPAuthBanished="CRAM-MD5"

DrBAD
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you SO much.  This worked.  It wasn't that easy to change the deudora.ini file because even though I was logged on to my computer as the administrator, Eudora didn't agree with me.  However, by using some work-arounds, I made it work, and now I can both send and receive using my much preferred Eudora platform!!!!!

HeartHeartHeart

0 Likes
DrBAD
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good point!  This bulletin board has been a life saver more than once!Smiley Happy

0 Likes
BronxBoy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wow. What a ROYAL pain in the rear. I am in NJ, on Eudora (7.1.0.9) since, uh, forever. Had the same problem others have reported since Friday.

Spent 3 hours seeking out this answer.

I can confirm that adding the following to the Eudora.ini file works:

;Following line needed for Verizon SMTP mail sending
SMTPAuthBanished="CRAM-MD5"

Two separate techies had NO Clue as to how to fix this. The third one actually tried to find updated info for me. He swore they changed nothing after last Friday's outage.

Had they read this Forum, tech support would actually have answers.

Oh wait, then we wouldn't need them. LOL.

0 Likes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

>>blue444: thanks tlb, the Mac fix worked, and was easy.

You're welcome...glad that got the problem sorted...

0 Likes
rick-watson

I started having this problem on 8/1/2014.  Calling Verizon support didn't help.  Finally I found this post and it fixed the problem.  Thanks for posting the fix.

0 Likes
PMetz3

I've been having this problem since 7/30/14.  Today I found this forum.  So, I modified the eudora.ini file by adding SmtpAuthBanished=CRAM-MD5 in the settings section, dragged the file into the Eudora file and double checked to be sure the .ini file now read as desired, closed and reopenned Eudora.  But it didn't work!  I still got the "authentication required" message from Verizon, even after trying three times.  I've checked to see that my Eudora settings are correct: "allow authentication" and "required, alternate port".  Can someone help?  What else should I do.  I do not want to give up Eudora!

0 Likes
PMetz3

I have been unable to send email from Eudora since early August, 2014.  I get the 'authentication required" error message whenever I try to send.  I have set Secure Sockets when Sending to "Required, alternate port" and confirmed that it is using port 465 and I have a check in the box for "Authentication Allowed".  But when I insert "StmpAuthBanished=CRAM-MD5" in either deudora.ini or eudora.ini, it will not send and I get the same "authentication required" message.  I even tried putting "StmpAuthRequired=1" in the settings section of eudora.ini and that didn't help.  I got this idea from http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/ini.html, which shows all the possible messages for the [settings] section of eudora.ini.  This has been going on for two months now and I am desperate to get my send function back in Eudora, which I have been using for over 20 years!  Can anyone help, please?

0 Likes