Re: yet another victim of the Verizon blacklisting
djb5
Contributor - Level 3
I had the same problem while traveling. I can understand and accept problems and service disruptions, but not failure to provide easily accessible information about same (like - if I go to Support section, I'd expect to see a list of Known Issues so I don't have to spend time and frustration trying to figure out why I'm getting something like "server not responding error" for days or weeks on end.
Sadly I decided to switch all my email to gmail (which I don't like as well, but I just can't live with the possibility of another such fiasco wrt unacceptable customer service). I've had similar experience with Verizon FiOS service disruption and I also see others here fighting the same battle - Verizon informs neither it's customers nor it's support staff of known issues and we all expend hours of our time and emotional frustration to boot. OK end of rant, and I'm just bummed that I felt that I had to switch all my email accounts to avoid verizon problems.
pfps
Enthusiast - Level 3

The strange thing about all this, and about similar situations, is how much money it must be costing Verizon.   It is almost as if Verizon is like some tin-pot dictatorship where the only thing that causes termination is admitting to problems - it doesn't matter how bad the problem is or whether the problem should have been avoided, just whether the problem is acknowledged.

0 Likes
pfps
Enthusiast - Level 3

Jess:  I never received any message.  The problem is a known one, at least so far in that Verizon has cut off access to its POP and SMTP servers from a large part of the internet.  What is not known is why, why the problem has not yet been fixed, and why Verizon is making it so hard for customers to find out what is going on.  Given the number of posts in various places and the number of people known to be on the various trouble tickets, I would estimate that several thousand people have been so affected that they spent considerable time trying to find out what is going on.  That results in a lot of lost time, and Verizon is likely to end up losing a considerable amount of money in the end - a loss that could have been mostly avoided with only a little bit of effort on the part of Verizon. 

Verizon may be making the cynical calculation that few people are going to drop Verizon because of email issues.  I don't think that this would be a valid calculation, as email is the last sticky bit of Verizon's entire service package.

0 Likes
pfps
Enthusiast - Level 3

TNS_2:  This is a different kind of blacklist.  Verizon is not accepting POP and SMTP connections from a large part of the internet.  As far as I can tell, it is only Verizon that is acting this way and Verizon has complete control over which portions of the internet that they are blacklisting.

0 Likes
djb5
Contributor - Level 3
Re:
"TNS_2: This is a different kind of blacklist. Verizon is not accepting POP and SMTP connections from a large part of the internet. As far as I can tell, it is only Verizon that is acting this way and Verizon has complete control over which portions of the internet that they are blacklisting."

And Verizon most certainly has control of their Support site (and support staff) and has chosen to not publish this as a known issue so customers wouldn't have to spend so much time and frustration trying to figure out why they can't get their email.
0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus
0 Likes
djb5
Contributor - Level 3
Re:
"Please see the announcement here:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Email-Account-Password-Lockout/m-p/744863"

If your symptom is "email server not responding" and you want to find out why, seems to me that the most reasonable place to look is on the Verizon Support page. Searching for "email server not responding" there brings up absolutely no clue. (For that matter neither does a search for "password lockout", if that is the symptom you may have seen.
Known issues should be posted clearly for all to see. Even verizon support staff, as evidenced by several posts on this forum, have been unable to find out what was going on.
Technical problems happen and are to be expected in this complex environment.
Failure to communicate known issues with customers doesn't need to (and shouldn't) happen.
0 Likes
pfps
Enthusiast - Level 3

@LawrenceC wrote:

Please see the announcement here:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Email-Account-Password-Lockout/m-p/744863

That is not the problem that I am experiencing.  My account is not locked out, as I can read email through the web interface. 

The problem is that the Verizon POP and SMTP servers are not accepting connections from a large part of the internet.  Changing my password is not going to affect this - I cannot even connect to the servers to enter a password or identify myself to Verizon.

0 Likes
Folly654

LawrenceC:

I'm afraid your suggestion does not accurately relate to the problem, which is access to Verizon accounts from overseas. and total lack of information from Verizon about this. 

As moderator you can be a big help if you first understand our issues. 

I note that the post you reference was issued on Sept 18, one day after the infamous shutting down of overseas access, but oddly it refers only to "residential" accounts, and does not discuss the overseas problem. It also says "We are notifying customers who must take action to re-activate their accounts" but I have heard of no-one who has received such notification.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I know its bad but verizon did acknowledge the problem.  They just haven't made it easy yet to get valid overseas whitelisted.

Verizon was under a fairly massive attack, possibly trying to use the previously reported stolen customer infomation.  They resorted to block most overseas ISP's.  Hopefully they are beginning to work through the requests to whitelist valid Overseas ISP's.  But until they say otherwise, only customer requests to whitelist will get things changed.

Remember this forum is not really the best place to just vent your anger.  It is mosly peers with only a few Verizon admins, and no Verizon policy setters.

0 Likes