Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Bronze Contributor I
AlfredPoor

Weekly Feature: Strike Up the Bandwidth!

Bandwidth refers to how much data can be transmitted at a time through a connection. As more household devices get connected to the internet, our demands for more bandwidth grow. Fortunately, technology exists to help us get the content we want without waiting. Read this Weekly Feature to find out more. Tell us what you think about ever-changing technology that has us reaching for more and more bandwidth.

Platinum Contributor I
prisaz
0 Kudos

Re: Weekly Feature: Strike Up the Bandwidth!

Excellent Feature.

While many of us do not have the budget for the 150/35, it is nice to know that it is there for those that can get a GPON ONT. I have a proxy server that filters and stores some small amount of the content locally, and some of the content hits come from my own proxy filter. Although be it a small percentage it does speed up access a bit, and saves on some bandwidth.

Bronze Contributor II
Bill_Kula

Full disclosure first... I'm a Verizon media spokesperson.

Having been intimately involved in the trials of then GTE's ADSL trials in the mid 1990s, the launch of the ADSL service in 1998 and the launch of FiOS Internet in 2004, I have witnessed first hand the continued "need for speed" by the public. Poor is right on track with his 'Strike Up the Bandwidth!' comments.

In speaking to hundreds of consumers and small businesses in their homes and on the phone, I continue to hear about the importance of not just speed, but the critical value of having a broadband connection that doesn't slow down due to shared use and that doesn't knock you off your home WAN or corporate VPN at the worst possible time.

What's good for broadband customers is having the peace of mind to know you will have a torrent of bandwidth at your fingertips when seconds count. Deadlines can be missed due to a lack of firm Internet connectivity.  Prior to the arrival of FiOS in my North Texas neighborhood, I used Comcast, then Time Warner, cable modem service. I can't recall the number of times I grew impatient as I got knocked off my connection.  Eventually, I went cold turkey so to speak with the cable modem in our home and used my Verizon Wireless broadband card. While slower, the broadband card provided me a continued connection to the Internet and my corporate LAN.

The day FiOS Internet arrived in my neighborhood was like the Fourth of July, my kids' birthdays, my wedding anniversary, Christmas, Easter and the opening day of the baseball season all rolled together into a perfect package. My installation was smooth, and the service has sold itself in my neighborhood. I happily took my Time Warner equipment back to them across town, wearing my FiOS hat and FiOS shirt.

Standing in line at Time Warner, I heard complaints and beefs from strangers.  But although strangers, we were not as we all shared the same horror stories of our cable experience.

As Thanksgiving approaches, I am thankful for the application developers who are creating innovative tools that will benefit from the new, higher speeds of broadband being introduced. Sure, it is early for the masses to jump onto the 150 Mbps bandwagon, but I don't see that hesitancy lasting too long. Within a short window of time, we'll see speeds climb even higher in the broadband arms race and perhaps we'll see prices flatten, but that remains to be seen.

For now, I'm confident that bright minds will produce the applications that need 100 Mbps plus downstream and 35 Mbps or higher upstream rates for professional and personal reasons. I sit in the very office where the first diagram of ADSL was sketched out for me in 1995.  Once it was explained to me, the light bulb went off and I became a broadband believer.  Each time I see that white board, I see the past, present and future and I smile knowing my company has a key role in satisfying the needs of the public in our ever-connected world. -- Bill Kula, william.kula@verizon.com

Platinum Contributor I
prisaz
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Good post Bill.

Who would of thought we would need more than a 286 and 2 meg of ram. Future proof is the term! My First real computer was Tandy 1000 with an 8088 when I had to cut out the front of the case for the extra long above board memory expansion cards at 1 meg each and many chips.

I too am sure there will be a a need and Verizon will be ready. Right now I was transfering a 15gig file to a cable friend and it was lsow because some of the pipes do not connect well. At 35/35 he could not get near what I could give. I suppose not everyones routers are ready.

Bronze Contributor I
AlfredPoor

Thanks for the kind words about my Weekly Feature, folks.

As for progress, I remember being concerned about all this digital music that people wanted to send across the Internet, which we all knew was only designed to carry efficient ASCII text for email and information databases. With all this frivolous music clogging up capacity, it was sure to wreck the Internet that was needed by so many businesses!

Of course, time has proven me wrong (once again) and the wizards continue work hard to keep up with the bandwidth demands of the average consumer. I look forward to seeing what demanding applications lie beyond real-time streaming of 1080p 3D video (such as for "being there" video chats right there in your own living room). These are exciting times.

Alfred

Platinum Contributor I
prisaz
0 Kudos

prisaz wrote:

Good post Bill.

Who would of thought we would need more than a 286 and 2 meg of ram. Future proof is the term! My First real computer was Tandy 1000 with an 8088 when I had to cut out the front of the case for the extra long above board memory expansion cards at 1 meg each and many chips.

I too am sure there will be a a need and Verizon will be ready. Right now I was transfering a 15gig file to a cable friend and it was lsow because some of the pipes do not connect well. At 35/35 he could not get near what I could give. I suppose not everyones routers are ready.

I found my issue it was the 15 hops I had to go through on cable before he could get my file. He gave me his IP, and I said wow! Why does it need to go there? Then My 5 hops to google as upposed to his 12. 8 of which were still on the cable network.

Admin Emeritus
DougVZ
0 Kudos

RSS feed test...

Bronze Contributor I
AlfredPoor
0 Kudos

The RSS feed worked for me.

Alfred

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements