Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
lasagna

Change GUIDE Providers

by on ‎08-08-2010 09:16 PM

The current provider of programming information for FiOS TV is often full of errors.  While the programming schedules tend to be correct, very frequently the program status (First Run, Rerun, etc.) is incorrect in the feed and as a result those who setup their DVR's to do series recordings will find their DVR's recording old episodes.   It would also be nice if a provider which utilized some form of real-time programming updates could be located so that during broadcasts which get time shifted by last minute changes (such as sporting events which run long) could be properly recorded (instead of having to timebox them by padding an extra amount of time onto the end of each show -- which compounds the drive size issue I mention below).

This is particularly annoying on busy recording nights when a mismarking may cause a conflict by having three shows slated to be recorded in the same timeslot -- when in reality two of the shows were first run and the other was a rerun.   It's not always possible to avoid this siruation using series priority since the mismarkings seem to vary from week to week.

This is also compounded by the relatively small DVR drive size where going away for a long weekend or a couple of nights during the week (or even for a week's vacation) can find the drive filled with repeated shows (and some first run shows discarded because the drive was full to make room).

We evaluated all the available options and each has its benefits and drawbacks. We are currently implementing procedures that will improve the integrity of the guide data.
Comments
by on ‎08-09-2010 03:04 AM

It's been about a year now since I heard they were in the process of changing guide providers. I don't know what the delay is or if they changed their minds.

by Employee Emeritus on ‎08-09-2010 12:18 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by jackmahoffer ‎08-22-2010 11:00 AM - edited ‎08-22-2010 11:01 AM

This is annoying.  Speed channel has "Gears" listed as new on every episode on the channel guide.  It is only when you check the info that the actual episode name come up.  The description is always the same on the guide. The DVR has recorded every episode so far. Do I have to toss my DVR and get a Tivo instead?

by Admin Emeritus on ‎10-05-2010 07:58 AM
Status changed to: Under Review

by Employee on ‎10-06-2010 11:00 AM
Status changed to: In Progress
We evaluated all the available options and each has its benefits and drawbacks. We are currently implementing procedures that will improve the integrity of the guide data.
by Employee on ‎10-20-2010 04:10 AM

I owe a blog post on this topic to better explain what we have done, what's to come and what we are thinking about in the future... it's half written... just need to finish it up

by Gold Contributor VII on ‎10-20-2010 01:50 PM

Joe,

That is good to hear, that you are doing something. Anything would be a step forward! Will that be posted in  the At Home blog when it is finished? And soon I hope?

by Employee on ‎10-22-2010 07:20 AM

We have one more item to put in place... then I expect to see pretty dramatic improvements as opposed to the minor improvements made over the last year... And yes I intend to post on At Home blog once we have that last piece up and operational... it is some very cool tech that we hope gets us a "best" review from FiOS TV viewers

by res13b5ji on ‎11-03-2010 09:15 AM

The current guide info is LACKING at best,  lots of show have NO info.   Many shows have the name of the show but no episode info or name, stargate universe for example gives the guide info for the first show on about 6 out of seven episodes and the are always tagged as new even if they are not.  Sometimes the DVR WILL RECORD THE SAME EPISODE 4 TIMES.

by thelancejr on ‎01-28-2011 09:43 AM

FYI Television Inc is the company who provides the guide data for FIOS. I've contacted them several times with concerns and they sent back an email saying to complain to FIOS cause they dont answer to FIOS customers.

Just an FYI... this is a little rinky dink company in Grand Prarie, TX. I had a friend swing by their offices, and wow. What a place he says...seems no one knows what they are doing.

FIOS we care complaining...whats going on here? This day in age you should contract with a company who is on top of immediate schedule changes.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools