• RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
OwlSaver

Replace actiontec software with DD-WRT Software

by on ‎05-01-2012 08:18 PM

Work with Actiontec and the DD-WRT team to develop a DD-WRT version of the router software. This software is far more functional than the base software in most routers. There is work on DD-WRT version but they have not addressed the COA interface yet. Doing this would probably save considerable effort on the development of the router software.

Comments
by MVP Smith6612 MVP ‎06-04-2012 11:18 AM - edited ‎06-04-2012 11:21 AM

Agreed. DD-WRT is quite powerful and also quite stable to boot. Sure, a few things such as UPnP or QoS might be broken in some builds, but I've been running it on an ActionTec MI424WR Rev. D on my DSL connection with no issue. It just works even in the stock configuration, and really does take SOHO routers further when people realize the potential of the router. Not to mention, if it gets bricked the stock bootloader used on the ActionTec  for DD-WRT, Redboot (Redhat-based Bootloader/Bootstrap) allows the re-flashing of the router entirely before the main Linux OS attempts to boot, so a self-help could be made to restore the firmware in a no-longer booting unit using nothing more than a simple script which In-Home Agent or anyone familiar with TFTP and Telnet can accomplish in about 10 minutes.

The Rev. D's been awesome. Doesn't choke when I run torrents through it or mass amounts of Steam. CPU usage stays below 5% most times, and RAM always has a few megabytes free. The NAT table is customizable, IPv6 support is built-in, and DHCP Options can be set for certain devices. All the DD-WRT build needs is the proprietary MoCa driver, which I happen to have stored in a bin file but may see if I can build it into DD-WRT. The wireless settings can be fine tuned to make the router cope better with noisier or dryer environments, which is part of the reason why I can achieve nearly 30Mbps off of the Atheros radio in it on a clean signal, and how the antennas are set up also help which also helps with me being able to accomplish nearly the same wireless range as my older WRT54GX router from Linksys which happened to have a higher end Airgo radio (early days of MIMO!). That Linksys was a beast while the Wireless functioned properly. Now it's set up as a wired router elsewhere.

None the less, DD-WRT's been awesome. If it weren't for frequent power outages here, the router would easily have 400+ days of uptime. It's that solid.

by Moderator on ‎06-25-2012 03:00 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools