Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Hawkman

DVR Feature to go back 5 seconds after fast forward

by on ‎12-17-2010 09:25 AM

A nice feature to have would be to automatically go back a few seconds after fast forwarding through a commercial and hitting play.  I constantly have to rewind or hit the replay button when I fast forward through commercials on my DVR so I don't miss the beginning of a show.

You can customize the duration of replay and skip - check out settings and let me know if the values available don't solve your problem?
Comments
by Employee on ‎12-23-2010 03:37 AM
Status changed to: Already Exists
You can customize the duration of replay and skip - check out settings and let me know if the values available don't solve your problem?
by on ‎12-23-2010 03:58 PM

I was talking more about when you hit play from FF it will automatically go back a few seconds to compensate for going over the program after a commercial.  Replay is nice but it's an added button to press.

by Gold Contributor V on ‎12-26-2010 09:58 PM

Maybe I'm crazy, but I swear I saw someone complaining about this very "feature" a while back. They were annoyed about having to watch the extra seconds when they were able to fast forward to exactly where they wanted to be.

by clambert on ‎05-07-2011 01:25 PM

I'm all for this suggestion (Padded Fast Forwarding).  I was going to add it as a suggestion but I see someone else is on the same page as me.  As a former DTV user, they nailed this.  I'm not sure if they somehow were able to index where the show picked up or what .  If you FF a bit past the show their DVR would back up the the beginning of where the show starts after the commercial.

I know about changing the duration of the skip but it didn't seem to work out to well for me the first time I tried it.  It went too far at 5 minutes.  Maybe I just need to play with it more.  I am new to FiOS TV.

Ideally, if it's not indexed, it would be nice to see it go back a couple seconds depending on the speed at which you are fast fowarding (there are 3 speeds).  Obviously the faster you are fast forwarding, the more time you would need to pad (in seconds) to go back.

I personally do not see the suggested solution (skip) as a true solution.  It's a work around.  The skip time is setup as a constant but the amount of time you sometimes need to fast foward is variable and not equal to the skip. 5 minutes may be too much. 1 miunte isn't enough would several skips and then you went too far or not quite enough.

I'm 100% with Hawkman.  Joe you may want to rethink this.  Maybe it's just me being new to the DVR.  If that's the case, someone please give me the tip.  :smileyhappy:  But right now DTV wins in this particular catagory (FiOS wins in others).

by janzin on ‎09-24-2011 07:56 AM

Yes I with this too--and SKIP and REPLAY do NOT do the same thing. The FF on FIOS is so fast that I am invariably going over the beginning of the point I want to play. With my old TWC you automatically went back about three or four seconds to compensate for that. Yes, you can hit REPLAY but that's an extra step and it also either goes too far (30 sec) or not far enough (10 sec).  I really am frustrated with this.

by btm231 on ‎10-18-2011 11:49 AM

Joe, I don't think you understand what Hawkman is talking about. When fast fowrading, it is very difficult to just stop where you want it. Every other company I've delt with (Cox, Time Warner and Comcast) use DVRs that have a feature where when you were fast forwarding and hit play, the video would bounce back a few seconds to compensate for the extra jump forward the DVRs tend to have so you don't end up a minute into the show and have to rewind.

This is a MUST HAVE feature and needs to have the status changed so it actually gets attention.

by Gold Contributor VII on ‎10-18-2011 01:34 PM

"This is a MUST HAVE feature and needs to have the status changed so it actually gets attention."

I disagree. I see no reason to pretty much ever fast forward, I use the new Chaptering capability in 1.9 to location a location in a recording if I really need to, and when I am skipping over commercials I simply use the Skip button (I HAVe it set to 30 seconds) and press it two or four times quickly and generally I end up right at the end of the commericials. And if it does go too, far, one or two presses of the Replay button gets me where I want to be.

Besides, when I do occasionally use FF I can usually get it to stop right on, I guess it is because I just the fastest FF (8X) to get near to where I want, and then slow it down (2X) for the final positioning.

I think there are far more important things for Verizon to focus on adding or fixing in FiOS, things like being able to save and restore Favorites (and other) settings to my DVR and other STBs, set up a Manual recording from the web, fix the occasional problem with being able to access and manage the DVR from the web, etc.

by btm231 on ‎10-20-2011 08:59 AM

It is a must have for anyone who uses fast forward. You clearly do not so this obviously isn't applicable to you. But seeing as how just about every other provider has boxes with this feature, it's obviously an important one, and unless you've actually used it, you probably wouldn't appreciate it nearly as much as you should. The mere fact you say you need to slow down before getting to your show tells me you could use this feature. And using the skip button is hardly a solid alternative.

But whether or not you feel this is an important feature, the fact remains that this Joe guy needs to change the status of this feature because it does NOT already exist.

by clambert on ‎10-20-2011 10:19 AM

I agree with btm231.  Just my humble opinion.

Guess I'm not doing it right.  :smileyhappy:

by Gold Contributor VII on ‎10-20-2011 05:07 PM

"You clearly do not so this obviously isn't applicable to you."

The reason that I do not use it very often is that there is another option available to accomplish the same thing, Chapters, that is much faster, easy to use, and very accurate. So again, from my view, I simply do not see it as a much needed feature (I am not saying that Verizon should not implement it, I am just saying that, to me, it is far less important a feature to work on compared to some of the others that are really, really needed. Obviously just my opinion, just like yours is yours...)

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools