Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
TR-Tim

A La Carte channel pricing or a channel exchange

by TR-Tim ‎08-24-2010 02:21 PM - edited ‎08-30-2010 12:33 PM

Since many customers (like myself) have seen losses of channels from their lineup  in the recent weeks, I know this may be of interest to many.  Most of the channels removed from the Extreme tier we really don't even care about, but there were two in particular that we miss, MGM HD and Hallmark Movie Channel.  (HMC is particulary frustrating, because it's part of the lower price Prime tier, and the higher Ultimate, but skips the middle.  What's up with that, Verizon?)

I don't want to have to subscribe to a higher price package just to get two channels, and wind up with all the Showtime channels which I don't want at all.  I'd think about paying an extra dollar or so for the two that I want, howeverf.  Or better yet, let us TRADE access to MGM and Hallmark Movie in exchange for a couple of other channels.  Just a thought.

Not likely in the near to mid term. We continue to push on offering packages and a la carte channels to meet everyone's needs... but there are business challenges to overcome that are not trivial. How the content is offered is not exclusively our decision.

You can see the results of this push to provide options in HBO, Cinemax Disney Family Movies, Red Zone, Epix being offered a la carte, as well as foreign language and sports options that provide either a stand alone channel or smaller grouping of channels.

Comments
by Employee Emeritus on ‎08-24-2010 02:43 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by on ‎08-26-2010 09:29 PM

I have said from the beginning Verizon needs to add choices to their packages. I would get Ultimate, but I don't want Epix or Red Zone so I stay at Extreme HD. If they offered an Ultimate HD movie package instead of their current offering I would actually upgrade. Give me HBO and Showtime instead and I would upgrade.

by on ‎08-28-2010 08:48 AM

I understand why certain channels get bundled together (same content provider pushing lesser desired channels on TV distributors like Verizon in order to get them in front of the public).  So, in order to get on popular channel, you also have to agree to take and distribute on the network in the same tier these others channels ....

What I'd like to see Verizon do however is expose those smaller channel groupings to us and allow us to pick and choose.  So ... for example the Food Channel probably comes with a mandate to also distribute the Cooking Channel and perhaps several other channels.  Give us just that.  Sports channels -- ESPN probably required ESPN2, ESPNU, etc. -- OK, another package.  

Give us discounts for taking multiple groups of packages (kind of your Extreme and Ultimate approaches today) in order to encourage customers to take larger package offerings. 

I don't think we ever expect to see it on a channel by channel basis, but certainly a more granular basis is achievable.

by on ‎09-03-2010 11:30 AM

I will miss the Hallmark channel, maybe enough to change providers since I am not interested in a more expensive package.

by avvett4us on ‎09-11-2010 01:54 PM

There is so much junk on the lineup.  Let us pick up to 10 major channels, 20 intermediate channels, and up to 30 minor channels from your list (probably cost based).  Provide all local channels. Pick up to 10 sports channels.  This could be like Disney = E ticket.   Then offer lower cost plans as well.

by Hellstorm on ‎09-13-2010 09:28 AM

I'd gladly exchange ALL of my sports channels for access to MGM-HD.

While a la carte channel pricing might not be feasible, how about 'modular pricing'?

Why not offer a cheap, minimal package, and then offer cheap groups of channels?

For example, there could be a sports module with all of the non-premium sports channels, a (non-premium) movie/entertainment module, a cooking/home/DIY module, a science/nature/history module, etc.

by Admin Emeritus on ‎10-05-2010 08:08 AM
Status changed to: Under Review

by Admin Emeritus on ‎10-05-2010 08:27 AM
Status changed to: Under Review

by Employee ‎10-06-2010 11:50 AM - edited ‎10-06-2010 11:54 AM
Status changed to: Not Likely

Not likely in the near to mid term. We continue to push on offering packages and a la carte channels to meet everyone's needs... but there are business challenges to overcome that are not trivial. How the content is offered is not exclusively our decision.

You can see the results of this push to provide options in HBO, Cinemax Disney Family Movies, Red Zone, Epix being offered a la carte, as well as foreign language and sports options that provide either a stand alone channel or smaller grouping of channels.

by Ylinen on ‎10-07-2010 06:58 PM

Joe;

I agree with the jist of most of the comments.  I don't want to keep adding channels I don't want.  There are specific channels I want and I don't like that when FIOS addes HD content;  they put it in a new tier and want to charge me more.

I like the idea of smaller groups or letting me pick a group of channels I want based on your cost of course and the business rules you have to live by. 

What I don't like is having the new channels only added to new tiers and trying to get me to upgrade.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools