• RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
tgoelz

New TV Guide is a bust

by tgoelz on ‎07-06-2011 01:43 PM

Sirs,  I came home from work and had to wait to find out you upgraded the TV Guide (if you want to call it an upgrade).  I personally think it is two step backward and closely resembles the Comcast TV Guide of a few years ago.   Not only is the TV Guide poor programming choice but it also does not hold to the "Favorites" when the box is turned off.  In these days of resources conservation, I think that leaving the box turned on is a waste of resources and not very green thinking.  I wonder who the "airhead" was that OK'ed this (so called) upgrade.  I feel with this new TV Guide you've really screwed up.

Comments
by BOSS01 on ‎05-10-2012 07:58 AM

I thought maybe it was just me that was having problems reading the guide.  I have a 65" set and have to get out of my chair and walk half way to the set to be able to read it.  PLEASE GO BACK TO THE OLD GUIDE.

by michcollect on ‎05-10-2012 11:12 PM

The guide is too small to see from across the room. And it's confusing... This is a problem and it's getting worse. Your last upgrade is a joke... We have to stand up and walk close to the tv (in any room) to view the on screen guide. You need a font option to make it bigger if necessary and easier to read. It was bad before and now it's even worse and harder to read. What are you thinking? My 86 yr old Mom gave up on it when we changed to verizon from dish. It's worthless and I had to order the tv guide we get in the mail (which isn't all that accurate either). Get with it! Tired of squinting... Anyone else have this issue?

by michcollect on ‎05-10-2012 11:33 PM

After reading the comments from others, I really hope you fix this. I was at my daughters the other day and the guide she has from another company was so nice and BIG, and readable. I see some viewers say to go back to the old guide... WHY? I hated the first guide, now, not only do I still hate it but I dread turning the TV on knowing how much work it is just to see what's on,,, it's ridiculous ... I will be changing my service if this is not addressed asap..... 

by veronikazvs on ‎06-10-2012 01:15 PM - last edited on ‎06-10-2012 03:04 PM by Moderator

Dear Joe_Ambeault

I just recently had verizon fios installed to save money on my cable/internet/phone.  One of the biggest things I am trying to overcome is truly the tiny guide. I see that you came back with a list of compliments from people stating they loved 1.9 however, that's all they said.  Do you have anyone that actually enjoys straining their eyes to read the incredibly tiny font on the guide OR can't read it at all because they are color blind? Was there even one comment actually stating that they liked the new guide and could read it with ease from a distance - which is what i was able to do when we had Comcast.

What tech developed this guide?  How could they possibly think it's better? 

I am saving a decent amount of money on my bill but at what expense?  it's very frustrating....I see these comments have been going on for quite some time now, when will verizon actually listen to it's customers and give an option to change the color scheme & increase the font on the guide? 

by veronikazvs on ‎06-10-2012 01:16 PM

or maybe I should have written my note in 8pt font - this way, you could read it better.

by lefty-21 on ‎06-19-2012 09:36 AM

Don't care for the new menu at all. White on black, white on dark blue is very hard to read. But what I dislike the most is being switched from favorties to view all channels. If I wanted to see what was on all channels I'd switch myself. if I'm in favorite mode I want to stay there.

Please mark me down an not happy with the new way. Seems to be a lot more of us.

by sphynxmom on ‎06-21-2012 04:10 PM

I only recently switched from Comcast to Verizon, and honestly, if I had known how awful Verizon's guide is, I would never have left Comcast.  Comcast's guide was simple with crisp lettering, very easy to read.  When I first saw Verizon's guide, I couldn't believe it ...  so cluttered and that tiny little white print!  I'm in my fifties and this is extremely hard for me to see.  I'm sure I'm not the only older person who can't read this print.  I'm just sick that I signed a two-year contract with Verizon, so now I'm stuck with this horrendous guide.

by dlh on ‎06-21-2012 07:54 PM

As I posted elswhere on these forums a choice of color schemes is the ideal but if there is no choice then high contrast is necessary for people with vision problems- even just old age. The white on pale blue was possibly one of the worst combinations even for a person with good vision. There are Standards for web design which emphasize readability of screens; the same guidelines could be applied to TV screens.

With the change to white on near black my wife with Retinitis Pigmentosa is now able to read the Guide and On Demand menus. When she uses a computer she has a program which allows variable magnification and many different choices of color schemes that can be tailored to individual program needs. That is ideal- what Verizon has put in place is a step in the right direction. The purpose of menus is function not cutesy, glitzy, display at the cost of function.

by savant ‎06-21-2012 09:03 PM - edited ‎06-21-2012 09:05 PM

Although I don't think it's a big deal either way, I like the new guide colors much better than the previous light blue. I hope people who say they can't read it don't have their guide graphics setting on HD if watching on an SDTV.

If I have any complaint about the guide it is with the height of the channel info since 1.9, which blocks too much of the broadcast and wastes a lot of space in the white-blue area on the bottom.

by gregandsharon on ‎06-26-2012 03:53 PM
The colors/shades in the "updated" guide are too dark & do not contrast enough. I prefer to watch TV on the darker side & now the colors on the guide just seem to run into each other. No way for the user to brighten the graphics without brightning the overall TV picture. I hope the folks at verizon get enough comments about this issue to take some action.
Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools