5G Gateway Internet drop
PlaneMichael
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm really struggling to like the Verizon 5G Home Internet as the gateway frequently drops the internet and has to be reset. In fact, I'm using my AT&T Fiber Optics Internet to send this message as due to the instability of the Verizon 5G I have yet to complete the switch.

I've seen this same issue posted in other areas on the forum though no fix has been presented to date. Sure was looking forward to switching over to Verizon 5G but the bugs are going to have to be worked out as I need stable internet access.

If anyone has any information or has heard of any fixes, firmware/software updates, etc. please leave a post.

Re: 5G Gateway Internet drop
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

What band is your 5G Home? Is it C band or Millimeter Wave?

Cbus1988
Enthusiast - Level 2

I’m having the exact same issues. I’m in Columbus, OH - East side (by East Broad/McNaughten Rd and Mount Carmel Hospital) in a fully covered 5G C-Band area (the white cube device FYI, not the one that sticks to the window). It stays connected for some time but then immediately disconnects over, and over, and over. Then it stays connected for periods of time and then does it again. It’s a daily issue. I’ve tracked the disconnects and contacted VZW Chat to update my NRB ticket that support opened. I’m about to drop the service as it’s not reliable…if anyone else in my area is also experiencing this issue drop a post here. This needs to be escalated as it’s not normal for drops like this to occur.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Any way for you to figure out whether it is the drop of Internet connection and/or the drop of 5G signal?

Cbus1988
Enthusiast - Level 2

Each time its happened I log into the admin page but it still shows “Connected - Verizon” and Network is 5G NSA. It has never changed to LTE or “Not Connected”. Since the white cube admin doesn’t have a log to see anything advanced it’s hard to tell if it’s dropping to LTE or not. I added an extension to my browser that will give me connection status updates, so each time I have a drop I check the cube status light (remains white, no red flash or changes to the indicator). 

I even went through the effort of just keeping my main laptop I use connected to it, and nothing else. Still happens. Changed to another single device (just to ensure it wasn’t something with my main laptop), still happens. I decided to turn off band steering and guide specific devices to 2.4 and 5 GHZ networks with different SSID’s, still disconnected. I turned it back on and tried again, still disconnected. I performed multiple factory resets and used the device as it was sent, still disconnected. I even decided to try the IP passthrough to use my mesh system instead of the box (connecting through LAN port 2, using Google Mesh AC1200), still doing the same thing - purchased a new mesh system (eero wifi 6), also doing the same thing. I’m not a super networking person but I do know a lot of the troubleshooting steps Verizon would typically walk through, and I’ve done them all, multiple times…

Do you or anyone know of a way to better track or see log info?

0 Likes
Re: 5G Gateway Internet drop UPDATE
PlaneMichael
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update: The internet drops have been so frequent I've had to move all my connected equipment back over to my AT&T Fiber Optics.

I've contacted Verizon through the chat and have had no resolve. Verizon has done a very poor job of educating their chat agents and also having menu options specific to 5G Home Internet. I typically chat with 3-4 different agents before being connected to someone that handles 5G Home Internet. I've had a little more help from actually calling but there again, as others have mentioned, everything shows to be connected and working properly though it is not.

I suspect that the 5G Gateways are not able to deliver what Verizon has promised or expected. Really wanted this to be a solution to the high cost of AT&T but if the stability is not there with Verizon it's certainly not worth the money.

0 Likes
Cbus1988
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update: So I have been doing a lot of digging on this disconnect issue through other forums and what others have experienced. It’s the same issue even after the firmware update to 220745.

Since I have a mesh system, I decided one last ditch effort - to put my mesh into bridge mode. Here is what I did:

-Took the VZW Gateway out of IP passthrough. Wifi is temporarily restored using the Gateway. Change the SSID to something temporary (something different than your mesh system so it doesn’t get confused in the following steps).

-Reset my mesh system to factory settings (I know it’s a pain but it was easier for me to do it this way, I have the Google Wifi Mesh. You may not have to do this but I did it anyways).

-Set up the router of my mesh system as normal using the setup wizard of Google Home app (or any other mesh system you’re using) and the SSID/password that your networked items usually connect to, but do not connect any other points (I have 2 but left them disconnected for the time being during this setup).

-After the router is set up, go into settings and configure it to go into Bridge Node. Save your settings. On the Google router itself, change the Ethernet cord from the internet port to the Ethernet passthrough port (looks like this <- - > , or the gray color icon port. Just don’t keep it in the internet port). If you run into an error saving the settings, swap the Ethernet cord to the other port first then give it a second, and then save again.

-Go into the VZ Gateway admin and turn off wifi for both 2.4  GHZ and 5 GHZ wifi. Remember you have to disable each one separately - meaning disable 2.4, save, one that’s done disable 5, save. The light on your VZ Gateway should turn green at this point.

-All your devices should connect to your mesh device and the VZ Gateway will help sort IP’s to the devices. If you go to the LAN under Network you will see all devices are now LAN connected.

I have not had one disconnect in some time. I am very positive that the firmware is the culprit with the device and causing the disconnects. But overall, I have a stable and reliable connection. I hope this helps you all out there having this issue.

JOHCOM96
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been experiencing this same or a similar issue for a couple of months now. I have the cube (ASK-NCQ1338) and it is at firmware level 220745.

If I understand the workaround you have implemented, you have moved all of your clients to the LAN side and you have disabled the WiFi network from the Verizon Gateway.  I'm not sure that that would work in my situation. I have a Windows 11 PC connected directly to the LAN 1 port on the VZ Gateway. When the service drops, this PC also loses Internet connectivity, not just the WiFi - connected clients. If I try to connect to the Internet with that PC, the browser reports that it cannot find a DNS server. The only resolution at that point is to restart the Gateway and wait.

Verizon Support said they are "waiting on a new firmware update" but they have no ETA for it.

Any ideas? Thanks.

0 Likes
Umair1

I started with the ACK model and forced the ARC model in hopes of more flexibility/availability of features.

sure enough I am not even a month in and I’m experiencing the same issues…

where is the dang solution? They get you caught up in these deals, make you pay, and provide the worst support service!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have Fiber already, stick with the Fiber. 5G is not a replacement, as 5G itself uses Fiber to get out to the rest of the world. Just my two cents.