5G Home Internet Blocking Access
nictrix
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the 5G Home Internet Router, this seemed like the most applicable forum to post it in.

I just hooked up my entire house to the router and noticed a variety of services I'm having problems connecting to.

- Nest

- Google Assistant (intermittent errors - it will say "something went wrong" - this has never happened in the past with my previous Internet provider)

- A couple of news apps

- Hulu, Disney+

Other similar services work fine; it's only some of these I know of.

When I turn off WiFi on my phone all of those apps/websites work (yes I have Verizon mobile data plan)

When I stay on the Verizon 5G Home Router Wifi and then turn on a VPN application all the apps/websites work

When I tried changing DNS it did not help, still was blocked.

It seems like Verizon 5G Home Router service is actively blocking some services, has anyone else experienced this problem before?

Since I still have my cable Internet provider, I moved problematic devices back to that and they are working without issue!

This is a major issue if Verizon is actively blocking websites or worst slowing them down or hindering their abilities.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: RE
nictrix
Enthusiast - Level 3

I resolved this issue myself by attaching my own wireless access point directly to the Ethernet ports available on the Verizon 5G Home Router. It appears the firewalls or some switching/routing mechanisms do not allow you to attach a router to Verizon 5G Home Router, then attached your own router or switch, then plug in a wireless access point to that.

tldr; Verizon's 5G Home Router firewalls only support two hops between it and the end device

won't work: phone > wireless ap > my router > verizon 5G home router
does work: phone > wireless ap > verizon 5G home router
does work: computer > my router > verizon 5G home router

View solution in original post

Re: 5G Home Internet Blocking Access
Not applicable

Same issue here, switched to 5g home internet yesterday, everything connects except the smart tv and chromecast.

The spotify app just gave me a useful error message--  ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID  "A secure connection could not be made to api-partner.spotify.com.  The most likely cause is the device's clock."

Wondering if the verizon access point has some unusual cert requirement by default

0 Likes
nictrix
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's an interesting error, usually that means you should check your computers time or the routers, though I would expect your computer and not the router. Unless Verizon's router is doing a man in the middle attack on all web endpoints.

But they would have needed to install a certificate on your computer to make it work.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Should have specified--it's the spotify app on my smart tv (which is set to the correct time).  Streaming on all computers and phones is working flawlessly. 

Now messing with the vzw access point firewall settings, unchecked everything and tv+chromecast are connecting now!  Going to keep tuning and see which specific feature is the issue...

nictrix
Enthusiast - Level 3

Disabling the firewall seemed to have worked for a short while, but next day is blocking everything again.

Disney Plus gives me an Error Code 42 - no internet, Hulu just doesn't load.

So I hooked my computer directly to the Ethernet port and then told Verizon's router to put it into the DMZ. That also did not work.

0 Likes
nictrix
Enthusiast - Level 3

Looking at this more, found my gateway's clock is an hour ahead, but I can't change it

0 Likes
Not applicable

Bummer about your firewall. mine's still working, fingers crossed mine keeps.  Weird about your clock, wonder if it's a locale or dst thing?

0 Likes
nictrix
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm in Arizona, most likely it thinks I'm in mountain daylight time, instead of standard.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Was wondering about that.  Probably need to file an actual bug against the access point--hope they can address it quickly.  As states change how they handle daylight vs standard time this is gonna turn into another y2k

0 Likes
Not applicable

It seems like my access point is setting my location based on the service address associated with the verizon account.  As a workaround you could possibly change your account zip code to somewhere with the correct time for you

0 Likes