Fios skill on Alexa can't be enabled
noisypilot

Can't link my Echo Dot to my Alexa account using the Fios skill.  Every time I try, it successfully logs in to the ssoauth.verizon.com domain, but then hits me with my challenge question saying it is an "unknown device."  That would be all well and good, except for the fact that when I correctly answer the challenge question, it comes back with "The information you provided doesn't match what we have on file."  I changed my challenge question and answer, tried again, and while the challenge question changed, it still wouldn't accept my answer.  

Spent over four hours over two days with both Verizon folks and Alexa folks and they couldn't figure it out.  Even more frustrating, Verizon doesn't seem to have a tech support team that is dedicated to, or even aware of Alexa, or someone who could see the SSO logs in realtime to see what was really going on.  Net result was I kept getting bounced back and forth between Verizon and Alexa support, and got nowhere.  I now have a ticket with "Enhanced Video Support" at Verizon, but I'm not hopeful.......

I'm not alone: based upon the reviews of the Fios Alexa Skill on the Alexa website, 6 out of 9 reviews posted in the last 4 days have the same problem.  What gives? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios skill on Alexa can't be enabled
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

Please try again now, it should work properly. (Just got got a dot just to test out your issue)

View solution in original post

Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you already gone though clearing your cache on you computer and trying to do the setup there?

noisypilot

Troubleshooting steps performed:

1) Multiple clients (iphone, iPad, iMac), reinstallation of apps on iOS devices.

2) Multiple browsers

3) Clearing caches on browsers (full developer cache clear, not just history)

4) Ensuring all devices, including Echo and client, are attached directly to Fios router WiFi.

5) Reset both router and Echo to factory settings

6) Verizon reset "Enhanced Video Privileges", whatever that means.

7) Reset ONT, Reset Router including removing coax

8 )Reset STB.

9) Changed Challenge question and answer (multiple times)

Two things that are odd during the SSO/Challenge Question session:

1) During the Challenge Question, I note that it asks me to confirm either my "Account Name or Mobile Number" which is shown.  I would expect to see that question if I was on Verizon Wireless, but not Verizon Fios Residential, as they often use home phone number as an alternative, which may or may not be Mobile.  But that may just be a template mistake.

2) Also noted that the long session url had a bunch of %25 in it as substitute for %, which in turn was used in further encoding.  Not unusual to see a lot of %2F%3A%3A as encoding for "://" in a URL, but I have never seen the same things represented %252F%253A%253A in an encoded URL.  Occurs to me that won't decode property, but I'm not a web expert.........I'm probably wrong on that point.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you use FIOS mobile app to connect to STB?

Does remote control function work?

And just to confirm (because I didn't see it explicitly) you do have VMS/IPC stbs?

noisypilot

Yep. 

• Fios mobile app works fine. 
  • As do other SSO apps such as HBO Go, CNN, etc (although they don't ask Challenge question).   
  • Remote control function on Fios mobile app works fine. 
  • Yes, have VMS 1100 STBs

I have posted a ticket with the Alexa folks as well.    My Verizon ticket of {edited for privacy} is supposed to be resolved by 5:00 pm today, but I am not hopeful.  

0 Likes
noisypilot

As predicted, Verizon's promise that "your trouble will be resolved on 3/16 by 5pm" was an empty one.  No resolution, no communication.  Nice.

The number of reviewers on the Amazon Alexa site listing the same problem as the reason for their one-star review started to increase today.  This is not an isolated incident.  Sad.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Although it should have worked on version 4.8, are your STBs upgraded to 4.9?

noisypilot

STBs are Release APR-4.9, Build 18.08. 

Firmware Version KA23.03.01.03Alder615511

0 Likes
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

Please try again now, it should work properly. (Just got got a dot just to test out your issue)