Switch Account

Ask The Expert: Have questions about moving your router or some other device with wired Ethernet or coax (MoCA)? The Expert is Here!

Ask The Expert: Have questions about moving your router or some other device with wired Ethernet or coax (MoCA)? The Expert is Here!

SOLVED
Highlighted
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

Message 1 of 16
(3,052 Views)

Do you have questions about moving your router or some other device with wired Ethernet or coax (MoCA)?

image001.png

Capricorn1, one of our Subject Matter Experts on MoCA, will be here to answer your questions about moving your router or other devices with wired Ethernet or coax (MoCA) connections.

How does this event work?

Come to this Ask The Expert Board and post your question by Friday, March 20th.

Capricorn1 will do his best to answer your questions by Friday, March 27th.

Why should I come to the "Ask The Expert" session?

• Do you need basic info on how to relocate your router or other networked device?
  • Do you need to learn how to use your router with MoCA?
  • Are you getting the most out of your router and other devices?
  • Do you have specific issues that you have been trying to troubleshoot?

The event will occur on the Ask The Expert section of the Fios Community.

We are looking forward to answering your questions by Friday, March 27th!

For more information on this topic, please visit MOCA networking 101.

Nilsa
Community Manager

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Re: Ask The Expert: Have questions about moving your router or some other device with wired Ethernet or coax (MoCA)? The Expert is Here!

Message 2 of 16
(2,839 Views)

Hi Capricorn1,

Can you share your top 3 things to consider when moving a router? 

I never ran into any issues myself, but I am curious what issues others may run into.

Thank you! 

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Ask The Expert: Have questions about moving your router or some other device with wired Ethernet or coax (MoCA)? The Expert is Here!

Message 3 of 16
(2,711 Views)

I am trying to move my modem, and when I did it did not connect to the internet.  I believe the connection I tried to connect to is not active.  what do I need to do to have the connection activated.  Thanks.

Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Message 4 of 16
(2,683 Views)

I have another question:

What is the best type of cabling I can use when I am moving my equipment? Does it make a difference? 

Highlighted
Trivia Champ
Trivia Champ

Message 5 of 16
(2,681 Views)

Hi,

I have some questions:

1. What are some of the alternative ways I can get MoCA working even if I have my own router?
  2. What are some tools I should use to help determine if I can move my router and where I should move it if I can?
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 6 of 16
(2,678 Views)

Hello,

What is MoCA and why does it matter for me?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 7 of 16
(2,675 Views)

I was wondering if I can wire everything using Ethernet only? 

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 8 of 16
(2,672 Views)

Do you have good information on how I should position my extender if I also need to move my router?

Highlighted
Silver Contributor IV Silver Contributor IV
Silver Contributor IV

Message 9 of 16
(2,500 Views)

@Khories wrote:

Hi Capricorn1,

Can you share your top 3 things to consider when moving a router? 

I never ran into any issues myself, but I am curious what issues others may run into.

Thank you! 

Probably the top thing to consider is how hard is it going to be to successfully move the router to where I want it to be? That is, is the move as simple as disconnecting some wires/cables at the current location, perhaps joining wires/cables in some fashion to keep signal continuity, and then hooking the router up to similar wires/cables at its new location? If so, that might take 20 minutes.

On the other hand, it might be as hard as cutting access holes into walls and ceilings and pulling (Ethernet or coax) cable, drilling holes through external walls to allow running a cable outside the residence to another floor and then more holes, and then patching those when all is done. That could be a weekend (or quite a cost to pay someone else to do it). (The answer to this question feeds into my third consideration below.)

The second thing I recommend considering is how suitable is the new location for the router? A couple of top reasons to move a router are to get better wireless network coverage or to get the wired Ethernet ports closer to the home office or gaming computer (or gaming console). To improve wireless coverage, the new location should ideally have as little metal and noise generation as possible. Things like filing cabinets, ductwork, steel I-beams, a refrigerator, and copper pipes can scatter the wireless RF signal. Some appliances like microwaves, wireless telephone base stations, copper wiring, etc. can generate signals that interfere with the RF waves). It might happen that the attempt to get rid of one “dead zone” creates a different one instead. If the router is being moved to get the hardwired Ethernets closer to something else, the wireless network shouldn’t suffer.

The third thing I would consider – especially if this is going to be a hard move – is can I “buy” my way out of the problem? This is rather counter to this Ask the Expert topic, but rather than trying to run wires to get a router more centralized (to improve the wireless signal), perhaps buy a mesh WiFi system like the Orbi sold by Verizon (or independently). If I wanted to get faster network speeds than my current router can support, perhaps I can buy a new WiFi 6 router and matching network card for the computer or a WiFi 6 mesh network (like the Orbi AX6000 or Linksys Velop AX6000). Tests have shown these reaching nearly 500-600 Mbps at close range and 300-400 Mbps at longer ranges. This approach isn’t cheap at today’s prices – about $700 for a router and one satellite, but if you are not willing to pull cables yourself to run Ethernet or coax, the cost might be a wash. If you have coax, but not Ethernet where you would like it, consider Ethernet to Coax (MoCA converters) like the Actiontec ECB6200 or newer ECB6250s. (If you have Verizon Fios TV service, these might need a bit of programming to use alternate frequencies on the coax.) I use ECB6200s to get Ethernet service from one side of my house to the other and up one floor. Even parts of the coax are original installation in the walls and attic (about 40 years old), I get about 700-800 Mbps with them.

[Be nice! We are mostly fellow Verizon customers.
My setup: 75/75 Mbps; Linux router (2x 1Gbps ports) + iptables; Linksys WRT1900ACS in Bridge Mode]
Highlighted
Silver Contributor IV Silver Contributor IV
Silver Contributor IV

Message 10 of 16
(2,471 Views)

Sorry for not getting to these a bit quicker, but it's been a little crazy for me this month (as I am sure it has been for others). I promise to get to these as soon as I can.

[Be nice! We are mostly fellow Verizon customers.
My setup: 75/75 Mbps; Linux router (2x 1Gbps ports) + iptables; Linksys WRT1900ACS in Bridge Mode]